Sucks

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Sucks

Post by ruckman101 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 am

glasseye wrote:
ruckman101 wrote: Those that rankle us the most tend to be those that most reflect bits of ourselves we recognize and are striving to change.
neal
I've read this concept as: "We dislike in others that which we most dislike in ourselves"

That expresses it a bit more succinctly, yes.

Insight or no, I'm still only human, with as big a wads of stinkfoot goo as the next. Although I'm hoping the antifungal lotion will help.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 pm

glasseye wrote:I tried to tell you guys. The turd is a bot. It's a clever piece of hostile PHP code whose sole purpose is to incite and annoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_Turk

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:02 pm

steve74baywin wrote:I see alot of pots calling kettles black here.
Some of the people speaking up talk as if they contributed good stuff to the free speech forum. My memory going back aways remembers little one liners I thought were just posted to aggravate.
Some people talk about not updating and changing views, that is very funny, cause that is exactly what I would say about their views, stuck in the fairytale form we where taught in the history books wrote by those who won the wars.
Seriously, pots calling kettles black.
Perhaps some can't take their views that they will not change being challenged. That is more of what I see. The more someone comes up with something that shoots holes through the belief's they hold so dear due to early on conditioning, the madder they get, the more they want an ignore button.
The best for you to do if you don't like what Turk post is to no allow it to effect you, take control of your being, take control of your being, don't let words or actions by him upset you so much so that you want to leave, or want an ignore button, or want him banned. Get control of your self, stop trying to control everyone else. Next thing I know you all will be voting for a politician to get a law enacted to make what Turk does illegal.

couldn't agree more, in fact I recognized this way back when it all started. Anybody recall when I was hollering "I see see what Turk sees"? You guys are quite guilty of the same things that you are accusing Turk of. He's just real good at handing it back to you.
The core group of people bashing Turk remind me of my own dysfunctional family. Boston Irish, hardcore Democrats. I have 5 siblings, I tend to vote Republican. I don't have fond memories of holiday meals as an adult. I'd get ganged up on as they all tried to convince me my ideals were just wrong, Try to defend my viewpoints against the onslaught of criticism and aggravating one liners,acting all innocent when I'd ask what did you mean by thatthen get labeled belligerent. we all don't talk much anymore either.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:33 pm

We are all guilty of re-writing history to suit our narratives.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:52 pm

I really don't think it was the opinions and views people became tired of, it was the way they were dealt out. :dontknow:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:
The core group of people bashing Turk remind me of my own dysfunctional family. Boston Irish, hardcore Democrats. I have 5 siblings, I tend to vote Republican. I don't have fond memories of holiday meals as an adult. I'd get ganged up on as they all tried to convince me my ideals were just wrong, Try to defend my viewpoints against the onslaught of criticism and aggravating one liners,acting all innocent when I'd ask what did you mean by thatthen get labeled belligerent. we all don't talk much anymore either.
that would be comparable to what happened here, if Turk was all 5 of your siblings rolled into one. you can't discount someone as 'just one person' at that frequency and volume - which is all that really bothered anyone anyway, at least from what ive read so far.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 am

airkooledchris wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
that would be comparable to what happened here, if Turk was all 5 of your siblings rolled into one. you can't discount someone as 'just one person' at that frequency and volume - which is all that really bothered anyone anyway, at least from what ive read so far.
There is no core group . . . There is no synchronized nothing going on here. That got tedious, getting labelled as some sort of liberal posse. Screw that. Everybody here is an individual, and if I hear "you all blahblahblah", I call it out as whiny bullshit.

I kicked him out. No one else had anything to do with it. I did not like his belligerent insulting personal attacks and disrespectful PMs, even if I did give him many many many opportunities to fine-tune his delivery and be a welcome voice of dissent. I want this place to have plenty of respectful disagreements. Deal with it. I made him moderator a few months. Is that intolerance? No.

Oh well. Too bad. I kicked his ass out with nothing more than a change to his password to a future date that will allow him to re-log in. I hope to catch turk and chitwnvw for pizza and beer.
Carry On.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:51 am

airkooledchris wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
You guys that are way left of center would be my siblings, turk would be me. DOH.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:51 am

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:
There is no core group . . . There is no synchronized nothing going on here. That got tedious, getting labelled as some sort of liberal posse. Screw that. Everybody here is an individual, and if I hear "you all blahblahblah", I call it out as whiny bullshit.

I kicked him out. No one else had anything to do with it. I did not like his belligerent insulting personal attacks and disrespectful PMs, even if I did give him many many many opportunities to fine-tune his delivery and be a welcome voice of dissent. I want this place to have plenty of respectful disagreements. Deal with it. I made him moderator a few months. Is that intolerance? No.

Oh well. Too bad. I kicked his ass out with nothing more than a change to his password to a future date that will allow him to re-log in. I hope to catch turk and chitwnvw for pizza and beer.
Carry On.
There certainly is a core group, who you kidding? Yourself? by the way, whats with the more often than not counterpointing tips that I give. The most ridiculous one was the one about only being able to use VW's special tool to check balljoints. Everybody that has that special tool raise their hands, ok anybody who has access to that special tool raise their hands, yeah thought so. My miserable father called it instinctive contradiction.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:10 am

I would not consider myself far left at all, more toward Libertarian and Turk irritated the crap out of me. Again it wasn't necessarily the views he holds, which I don't fully believe even he completely agrees with, it was the way in which he put them out that annoyed many here.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 am

I observed the same thing that i bolded in steve74baywins quote. the dismissive cleverly insulting one liners that were in so many of the opposing viewpoint responses. Basically talking down to any posters that leaned to far right for obviously left leaning members of this sight. Turk is just really good at handing the same thing back. That is what I believe is so irritating to many of you. It seemed to me he responded in like kind to posters that engaged. If a post was worded in a way that was as described above he would respond similarly. If a post was worded in a way that was engaged in civil debate he would try and debate civilly.
i have found in face to face conversations, with my siblings and people in general, that some people that lean left just can't stand the fact that others don't see things their way. theback and forth escalates into a war of words. I'm sure that left leaners have had similar experiences with people that lean right. We need Diane Rehm for a moderator. She doesn't take shit from anyone. i listen to her show almost daily, can't tell for sure which way she leans, She asks great questions of her guests doesn't tolerate anybody interrupting anybody and just terminates any foolishness.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 am

vdubyah73 wrote: There certainly is a core group, who you kidding? Yourself?

by the way, whats with the more often than not counterpointing tips that I give. The most ridiculous one was the one about only being able to use VW's special tool to check balljoints. Everybody that has that special tool raise their hands, ok anybody who has access to that special tool raise their hands, yeah thought so. My miserable father called it instinctive contradiction.
I think there are people who sometimes agree with each other, but there is NO synchronized group, Bill. We all are individuals. There is NO "in" group, there is NO "out" group, there is NO "you all". There is a "we all" on the Itinerant Air-Cooled site.

When I read your choice to *interpret* my responses as "counter-pointing" your posts, I think that it has more to do with how you choose to read. Perhaps you can only see belittling as you belittle me for being "ridiculous". Here is exactly what I wrote:
The reason VW has that special tool is that the steering knuckle is heavily preloaded with both torsion arms. The tool they have pulls the torsion arms together to check the lower ball joint, then pries them apart to check the upper ball joint. It is next to impossible to get a decent idea of ball joint play with any other method.

Where did I say that you can only use their tool? What is so ridiculous about what I wrote? I stand behind my post regarding ball joints. It was not an occasion for you to get all sarcastic here about "who has that special tool raise your hands, thought so".

Geeze, it's like whack-a-mole around here sometimes . . .
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 pm

vdubyah73 wrote: Turk is just really good at handing the same thing back. That is what I believe is so irritating to many of you.
so everyone that has stated what bothered them about Turk is lying, and you know how they really feel?

gotcha. :salute:

this poor horse doesn't have many beatings left in him.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 pm

airkooledchris wrote:this poor horse doesn't have many beatings left in him.
Horse? Go to pasture. Now. Git. Here's a snack. :flower: :flower: :flower:

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 am

How about a majority that sees things differently and a handful that responds, sometimes in sarcastic or belittling ways, to views that don't agree with theirs?
Same thing just a lot more words. kinda like a democrat politician. :bounce: