Bin Laden Dead

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Bin Laden Dead

Post by Hippie » Mon May 02, 2011 4:51 am

Good I suppose, but somehow I don't feel like parading around with a flag.
I guess because in these kinds of situations I mostly just feel bad that the whole mess happened, starting with 9/11 and all that.
The whole terrorism and war on terrorism is a distasteful human condition and I don't feel like celebrating it.

zabo
Old School!

Re: Bin Laden Dead

Post by zabo » Mon May 02, 2011 6:02 am

yea I hear you. I was listening to npr on the way in to work this morning - kinda made me a bit sick hearing the audio from people cheering - sounded like new years eve or some shit.

I know he was a terrible man but cheering for anyones death....
60 beetle
78 bus

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 am

I just had a sad thought.
I hope they don't use this to suggest or create attacks against us and Obama.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 am

It didn't solve the problem.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:17 am

zabo wrote:yea I hear you. I was listening to npr on the way in to work this morning - kinda made me a bit sick hearing the audio from people cheering - sounded like new years eve or some shit.

Same here. I really don't know how to feel about it, just makes you down on the whole human race. Sure he's gone but does it really actually do anything for those that went before him? It's just more death.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 am

sped372 wrote:
zabo wrote:yea I hear you. I was listening to npr on the way in to work this morning - kinda made me a bit sick hearing the audio from people cheering - sounded like new years eve or some shit.

Same here. I really don't know how to feel about it, just makes you down on the whole human race. Sure he's gone but does it really actually do anything for those that went before him? It's just more death.
Good thoughts.
As many are starting to see, one should look at the deep inner reason some like the Bin Laden types do what they do. And then we need to be careful we are not acting for the very same reason. It is one thing to defend and self defend. But all out efforts and campaigns to get revenge, to stomp out the enemy, to kill those of a certain thought,,, all these actions also stem from the same inner fear based drive. Every human can be as evil or as good as the next, all we can do is operate in the correct realm ourselves. This war on terror stems from the same negative fear based well as whatever drove Osama.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 am

it does feel weird to celebrate someone's death, but it really is more than just that.
if you try not to get too wrapped up in the politics for a moment and just take it for what it is, the killing of a guy who's whole mission in life was to bring as much death and destruction to us as a country - it's ok to be a little happy about it. at first it seemed distasteful, but sometimes you gotta let it slide because we really needed this as a nation.

of course now Pakistan 'has some splainin' to do' about keeping him safe this whole time.
1979 California Transporter

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 am

Cindy wrote:It didn't solve the problem.
Cindy
It certainly didn't. In fact, it will probably worsen it. What's the appropriate term? A "Pyhrric" victory?

http://www.truth-out.org/chris-hedges-s ... 1304343151

and

http://www.truth-out.org/bin-ladens-dea ... 1304345744

and

http://www.truth-out.org/justice-or-ven ... 1304342837
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 am

airkooledchris wrote: what it is, the killing of a guy who's whole mission in life was to bring as much death and destruction to us as a country - it's ok to be a little happy about it. at first it seemed distasteful, but sometimes you gotta let it slide because we really needed this as a nation.

of course now Pakistan 'has some splainin' to do' about keeping him safe this whole time.
First I would say how can anyone say what his whole mission was?
The way I see it, he had thoughts and ideas that we were bad and trying to take over and change the ways of his people. He had worked with the US before but for some reason he then thought we were bad. (I can come up with reasons).
So he lashes out using violence at people who he thought were bad. He choose to use violence to achieve. And probably he could tell you an example of where we did this first to those on his side of reality.
What the US did after 911 was (cut and pasted from above) "So he lashes out using violence at people who he thought were bad." The US lashes out using violence at people who we think are bad.
Violence begets violence. We lunched and even bigger attack. We are better at perpetrating violence.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 am

steve74baywin wrote:
airkooledchris wrote: We lunched and even bigger attack.
And don't forget: Chicken McNuggets are over 50% corn. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 am

airkooledchris wrote:it does feel weird to celebrate someone's death, but it really is more than just that.
if you try not to get too wrapped up in the politics for a moment and just take it for what it is, the killing of a guy who's whole mission in life was to bring as much death and destruction to us as a country - it's ok to be a little happy about it. at first it seemed distasteful, but sometimes you gotta let it slide because we really needed this as a nation.

Well put. I agree.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am

Sounds like another manipulation.
There is no way I can trust the media, nowdays. We will never know the truth.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:46 am

excited when I first heard it, felt conflicted as it sunk in i was cheering someones death. kudos to obama for having the stones to send in the seals. the more he moves center the better i like him.not that that matters in the scheme of things.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 am

this means a lot more to people who are currently serving, or who have served, in our nations military.

a number of my coworkers have either finished or nearing completion of their tours, and are absolutely ecstatic about it. they don't for a second think this means the war on terrorists is over, but they also understand the importance of removing this figure from the equasion both to those who look at him as their leader to literally pledge their lives to, as well as to those who lost loved ones either directly in the 911 attacks or as a result of the war in Afganistan.

sorry for ranting but it's all everyone has been talking about this morning. I was just happy he was dead in the beginning, but I feel more somber now as I try to understand it's meaning to those who were the most effected by his life (since I never personally knew anyone who died in either the attack or wars)

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:55 am

Personally, I don't feel any joy in Bin Laden being dead; I'm sort of neutral. It's nothing more than symbolism so it feels a little hollow to me. But I also don't fault anyone for feeling happy about his death. What I do fault are people rejoicing openly and essentially spitting on someone's grave. Spitting on graves is like punching a hole in the wall... it may feel good for a second or two, but then you get to spend an afternoon patching drywall, so what was the point? To punish yourself?
vdubyah73 wrote:excited when I first heard it, felt conflicted as it sunk in i was cheering someones death. kudos to obama for having the stones to send in the seals. the more he moves center the better i like him.not that that matters in the scheme of things.
Actually killing Bin Laden brings Obama more toward Center? From the Left? That's a strange thought given that the Bush Administration seemed intent on NOT catching Bin Laden when they had the chance, didn't they?