A National Strategic Directive

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

A National Strategic Directive

Post by glasseye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Written by two serving Pentagon officers, this document deserves our attention.

It says, in part: "... we want to become the strongest competitor and most influential
player in a deeply inter-connected global system, which requires that we invest less in
defense and more in sustainable prosperity and the tools of effective global engagement."

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/events/docs ... rative.pdf
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: A National Strategic Directive

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

This Narrative advocates for America to pursue her enduring interests of prosperity and security
through a strategy of sustainability that is built upon the solid foundation of our national values.
As Americans we needn’t seek the world’s friendship or to proselytize the virtues of our society.
Neither do we seek to bully, intimidate, cajole, or persuade others to accept our unique values or
to share our national objectives. Rather, we will let others draw their own conclusions based
upon our actions. Our domestic and foreign policies will reflect unity of effort, coherency and
constancy of purpose. We will pursue our national interests and allow others to pursue theirs,
never betraying our values. We will seek converging interests and welcome interdependence.
We will encourage fair competition and will not shy away from deterring bad behavior. We will
accept our place in a complex and dynamic strategic ecosystem and use credible influence and
strength to shape uncertainty into opportunities. We will be a pathway of promise and a beacon
of hope, in an ever changing world.
I like it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Gasp! I detect sanity.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Basically, the paragraph quoted above is consistent with everything we have done in the past twenty years. If you want to say we invaded Iraq against Hussein's regime I understand, but that's one guy. Libya : Quadaffy. Yugoslavia for the Albanians in Kosovo : Milosevic. They didn't "shy away from deterring bad behavior".
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 pm

turk wrote:Basically, the paragraph quoted above is consistent with everything we have done in the past twenty years. If you want to say we invaded Iraq against Hussein's regime I understand, but that's one guy. Libya : Quadaffy. Yugoslavia for the Albanians in Kosovo : Milosevic. They didn't "shy away from deterring bad behavior".
Read up on our other "outreach", the exploitation of other countries' resources and peoples, the use of their lands to dump our wastes, etc. While the last 20 years has had moments of American idealism, we have a ways to go to regain trust. Some of this distrust came via corporate behavior, not governmental intervention or policy, but we all have to share the results. We could do so much better I have said to some here in regards to our standing in the world, and this document is an example (!)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Sure, we have a ways to go, but basically, it's consistent with the directive outlined in the paragraph^. I don't know about dumping waste. How the hell should I know about that? I'm not a military person. There's military dumps all over here where I live. They are from WW2 I think.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:10 am

Dumping waste, you missed that? Load it on a ship and dump it off Somalia. There are no more fish, so the local population has turned to piracy to put food on the family plate.

Imperialism is heroin.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:26 am

I haven't comb threw it with a glasseye, but it does seem more civil than what we usual get.
Those guys who wrote that will probably be canned very soon.