Rahm Emmanuel's new proposal for Chicago Public Schools

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Rahm Emmanuel's new proposal for Chicago Public Schools

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Rahm is already doing stuff. He is not mayor yet. He is proposing changing rules about who gets laid off. He is saying performance, not seniority, is the prime factor in who gets laid off. He is proposing lengthening school days and years, which means more work at less pay, I presume. Rahm is taking on the union, no question. Rahm is doing it intelligently if you ask me. He is telegraphing and inviting the fray now. I like this. This is leadership squared. Questions, comments, concerns?
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: Rahm Emmanuel's new proposal for Chicago Public Schools

Post by Lanval » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 pm

turk wrote:He is proposing lengthening school days and years, which means more work at less pay, I presume.
What about this do you find "intelligent"? Can you name a private industry that works this way? Not banking, that much is clear.

Teachers deserve an increase in pay; they're the ones who do the actual work of creating the future.

L.

(disclaimer: I am a teacher, though not of the public school sort)

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Intelligent way to engage discourse, meaning: putting forth the ideas in lieu of fray sure to come. I know Rahm's reputation as a bulldog. Since his campaign, I've noticed a temperance in his demeanor. I don't think it means he is lightening his determination to effect reform, but maybe his touch in the process. Intelligence coupled with common sense to tackle a huge problem. You don't see it? I have to think he is quite a clever politician.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 pm

But let's be honest: it is a red-herring he throwing to overtaxed property-owners in Chicago who foot the bill. Will he actually be able to lengthen work loads without compromising by raising pay-scales accordingly? It just looks good to the constituents to say that. More important is the details of the reform measures he may be able to get passed. Like I said, clever politics.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Looking at the idea with a jaundiced eye one should see the defining principal as divide and conquer sort of. Setting up as a reformer with a hard-line will, it makes perfect sense to demand more of the union off the bat, even if the end result is realistically less. Like I said before, Rahm taking on the union looks good to the average tax-paying property owner. I said this in another thread, and doubted the genuine intent of such endeavor coming from the ex-chief of staff of Obama. Nevertheless, this is a blue-state and a democrat city. Republicans don't even put up candidates here in Chicago. They are less likely to succeed than ice-cubes in hell apparently. So, this move by Rahm makes sense politically as it will gain him an ace with conservatives who vote democratic in lieu of no compatible 'pub candidates. But beyond that, I think it will get him momentum going in on a "reform" candidacy.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Second paragraph.

http://www.suntimes.com/4663932-423/rah ... anges.html

"During the campaign, Emanuel declared his support for curtailing teachers’ right to strike. He also made it clear that, if teachers won’t agree to work longer hours for extra pay, he’ll ask the Illinois General Assembly to mandate it."

I get the sense it's about improving education, not knee-capping unions.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Who said anything about knee-capping unions? Is that civil discourse or inflammatory rhetoric, or some uncertain middle ground? I said, (if you read what I said): it's intelligent politics addressing a big problem at the starting gate of a term of office.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm

turk wrote:.... Rahm is taking on the union, no question. ....
You referenced Rahm in the Wisconsin Protests thread, so a comparison seemed obvious for me.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 pm

A comparison is intended. So, look at the fact there are problems. Budget problems, and education problems, in many places nationwide. It's not a non-existent thing. It's real. It applies to public sector unions. Do I think Rahm is gonna take no prisoners against those unions? I doubted that from the beginning. Is he taking them on in a nuanced approach? I think so.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Rahm is increasing the school budget by asking teachers to work longer days with extra pay. His concern seems to be that kids are being short changed, as Chicago's schools have the shortest days and year of operation.

neal

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:09 am

@ruckman;

I agree; I looked at it later, and it seems he's looking to improve educational performance. If the unions stand against this, they'll look bad I think.

As long as it involves a reasonable pay increase, I doubt many teachers are against working more for the success of their students. Some will be annoyed, no doubt. Sometimes the union doesn't operate in the best interests of the rank and file. I hope it doesn't turn out that way here.

L.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:35 am

Ummm, he is proposing lengthening the schoolday, cuz we have the shortest of anywhere and that might be why our kids aren't getting the learning they should. He is also saying that we will pay them in scale for the extra hours. I have to shake my head, you are all knee jerk dummies.

...xcept neal who did his homework...lanval didn't but then jumped on neal's bandwagon...not sure how to feel about him...

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 am

That's a good strategy ya got there chitwn. It's transparent (only if ya know YOU though). Look genius, Rahm is a democrat taking on the union, which is different than a republican. And there's a comparison to be made between the two approaches to what is a similar situation. None of that would occur to the designated "troublemaker" here though, RIGHT? It's more important to get yer little sneering point in for some reason. Hey, you are intelligent. Just a little prickly at times. Carry on troublemaker. You are a political savant. :pirate:

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:32 am

For anyone else with a school-marm's impetus the state of Illinois is voting today to reform the system so: Major components of Senate Bill 630

--If a school board has to lay off teachers, it would no longer do so solely on the basis of teacher seniority. The legislation would require performance and qualifications to be factors in such decisions, with seniority being a tie-breaker.

--School districts can hire and assign teachers based on who would best serve the district, not seniority.

-- Before teachers go on strike, a mediator must release the last contract offers proposed by both the teachers’ union and the school district.

--Three-fourths of the members of the Chicago Teachers Union would have to vote to strike before a strike could be called. Downstate teachers’ unions would continue to need only a majority to strike.

--Teachers could be dismissed more quickly for bad conduct or performance.

-- Today, a teacher gets tenure after four years or is dismissed. Under the legislation, a teacher would have to receive two “proficient or excellent” evaluations during the last three years of a four-year probationary period to be granted tenure. New teachers who receive three excellent performance reviews in their first three years would be granted tenure early.

-- Tenured teachers who receive two unsatisfactory ratings within a seven-year period can have their certificates reviewed by the state superintendent of schools. A certificate then could be revoked or the teacher could be referred for “professional development opportunities” to help him or her improve.

Did I do my homework chitwn. link

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm

turk wrote:For anyone else with a school-marm's impetus the state of Illinois is voting today to reform the system so: Major components of Senate Bill 630

--If a school board has to lay off teachers, it would no longer do so solely on the basis of teacher seniority. The legislation would require performance and qualifications to be factors in such decisions, with seniority being a tie-breaker.

--School districts can hire and assign teachers based on who would best serve the district, not seniority.

-- Before teachers go on strike, a mediator must release the last contract offers proposed by both the teachers’ union and the school district.

--Three-fourths of the members of the Chicago Teachers Union would have to vote to strike before a strike could be called. Downstate teachers’ unions would continue to need only a majority to strike.

--Teachers could be dismissed more quickly for bad conduct or performance.

-- Today, a teacher gets tenure after four years or is dismissed. Under the legislation, a teacher would have to receive two “proficient or excellent” evaluations during the last three years of a four-year probationary period to be granted tenure. New teachers who receive three excellent performance reviews in their first three years would be granted tenure early.

-- Tenured teachers who receive two unsatisfactory ratings within a seven-year period can have their certificates reviewed by the state superintendent of schools. A certificate then could be revoked or the teacher could be referred for “professional development opportunities” to help him or her improve.

Did I do my homework chitwn. link
I think the conversation here has a few speed bumps because of prior triggers.
Rahm Emmanuel is clearly competent. I do not see any partisan politics in his floating of trial policy objectives, it is merely a pragmatist's public poll. Nor did I see anything but incremential pragmatism in Obama's budget speech or numbers, but on the national stage of course it was met with derision by entrenched out-of-touch politicians who still are so clueless about reality that they think they can afford to be idealogues. Practically speaking, the budget crises that are now maturing in municipalities and states are giving us a preview of what we absolutely will be forced to deal with on a national level, and soon.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles