Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: WTF, Obama?

Post by glasseye » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 am

NYT: 2011/03/11

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/opini ... ef=opinion

Paul Krugman:
"Of course, Republicans aren’t the only cynics. As the national debate over fiscal policy descends ever deeper into penny-pinching, future-killing absurdity, one voice is curiously muted — that of President Obama.

The president and his aides know that the G.O.P. approach to the budget is wrongheaded and destructive. But they’ve stopped making the case for an alternative approach; instead, they’ve positioned themselves as know-nothings lite, accepting the notion that spending must be slashed immediately — just not as much as Republicans want.

Mr. Obama’s political advisers clearly believe that this strategy of protective camouflage offers the president his best chance at re-election — and they may be right. But that doesn’t change the fact that the White House is aiding and abetting the dumbing down of our deficit debate.

And this dumbing down bodes ill for the nation’s future. Health care is only one of the large and difficult problems America needs to deal with, ranging from infrastructure to climate change, all of which demand that we engage in a lot of hard thinking. Yet what we have instead is a political culture in which one side sneers at knowledge and exalts ignorance, while the other side hunkers down and pretends to halfway agree."
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm

glasseye wrote:NYT: 2011/03/11

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/opini ... ef=opinion
Paul Krugman:
"the White House is aiding and abetting the dumbing down of our deficit debate."
Unforgivably cynical of the Hope and Change brigade to merely position themselves for reelection when the country desperately needs some serious action.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 am

Hippie wrote:Dis anyone really expect any significant change? After generations of sameness?
Hello all, it is me again.
Would it surprise any of you if I was to say that I was not surprised one bit with any thing that has happened?
I could start listing things here. But, I really don't think I need to.
I have thought of coming back here to post, but didn't really think I needed to.
And, I really don't care to get into this stuff too much anymore. I reached a point.
I figured out their game. "It all makes sense once you realize their agenda is to control, dominate and get rich" and it then becomes so very predictable, the little things can vary a bit, but nothing surprises me. I have had to move on and live in spite of the fact that we have a criminal cartel that makes rules to keep itself in power.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:43 am

just saw obama ramblin on and on..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwvmZSVrNU

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi, Steve. Good to see you around again.
steve74baywin wrote: Hello all, it is me again.
Would it surprise any of you if I was to say that I was not surprised one bit with any thing that has happened?
Nope. What would surprise me is if you were bringing some real, workable solutions to the table instead of the same old "I told ya so" stuff.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Would this surprise you? Biden with eyes closed during speech It doesn't surprise me either.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

I'd say they've ALL been nodding off...for the last 20 years or more.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Like we havn't seen the movie before.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Like the juke box is stuck on a song none of us selected.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Still servin' yesterday's oatmeal.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Today's speech about reducing the deficit by four trillion, with a t, dollars sounded good. Of course he'll never actually accomplish that, but it's never too early to start campaigning.

I can't wait to see what clown the other side throws up for 2012. If they're serious, they'll nominate someone we all can support instead of pandering to their base, or worse, the Tea Party. That means no Palins, no Trumps, no Romneys or Huckabees. How about a real politician who can actually accomplish the things that need to be done to move the economy and the nation forward. Yeah, right.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm beginning to think it's too late for that. I don't believe the president is, or has been the problem (well...the previous 16 years...maybe) ... congress...they're the one's who need closer scrutiny...imho.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 pm

i like the thinking in sf this year; a chinese-american republican president would be very progressive and less confusing.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 pm

skin daddio wrote:i like the thinking in sf this year; a chinese-american republican president would be very progressive and less confusing.
A chinese-chinese prez would cut to the chase.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 am

Biding time, hopefully.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.