Congratulations, Egypt

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Congratulations, Egypt

Post by glasseye » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:16 am

With a largely non-violent popular uprising, Egyptians have succeeded in removing Mubarak from office. Teary-eyed, I watched it live on Al Jazeera just a few moments ago. Astounding television.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Congratulations, Egypt

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 am

Chains can be thrown off. Brave souls, here's to the turn being everything they have been hoping for.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 am

NPR brought up this week that a lot of the governments is the Arab world do not like that we are encouraging the removal of Mubarak when we have been paying his government a lot of money for a long time, and supporting him, but now want him gone. The way they see it, we want to do it with their regimes in time too. A lot of Arab governments did not want Mubarak to step down and encouraged their support of him since this started.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Sylvester wrote: A lot of Arab governments did not want Mubarak to step down and encouraged their support of him since this started.
No doubt. Their day will come, too.

Truly an historic day. Democracy writ large and clear. :cheers:

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 pm

One piece of the puzzle that hasn't been mentioned here is what Ben Bernanke's fed monetizing, lowering the value of the dollar, did to create the food crises in many countries dependent on wheat imports from the U.S.. That's one thing that precipitated this uprising in the streets in Yemen, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, etc.. Why else would everyone finally start the protests against their dictatorial regimes in these countries NOW? Because they are not making it well now, SINCE the quantitative easing, and printing money we don't actually have created the inflation abroad.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Perhaps a tipping point, but a minor irritant in the overall equation of issues exacerbated by climate change and dwindling oil supplies. Issues which have been building for well over a decade.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Do not talk about "tipping points" here, or you will be banned. Got that? :joker:
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 pm

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

So the "change in pressure is pushing cold arctic air into the populated areas of North America and Europe" due to climate change. So, I suspect the "arctic" is moving there in the winter, but then will resume as "global warming", when in the summer, the arctic ice melts. Brilliant analysis to fit the hysterical narrative

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Now the real work starts for Egypt...trying to put together a constitutional representative democracy that works for them. It won't be easy but it will be worth it. I hope they accomplish it.
79 VW Bus

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 pm

even the clean up looks smashing.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:48 pm

turk wrote:One piece of the puzzle that hasn't been mentioned here is what Ben Bernanke's fed monetizing, lowering the value of the dollar, did to create the food crises in many countries dependent on wheat imports from the U.S..
This article would suggest that's a very small piece of the puzzle.

From Wikipedia

"Initial causes of the late 2006 price spikes included droughts in grain-producing nations and rising oil prices. Oil price increases also caused general escalations in the costs of fertilizers, food transportation, and industrial agriculture. Root causes may be the increasing use of biofuels in developed countries (see also food vs fuel),[1] and an increasing demand for a more varied diet across the expanding middle-class populations of Asia.[2][3]
These factors, coupled with falling world-food stockpiles all contributed to the worldwide rise in food prices.[4] Causes not commonly attributed by mainstream views include structural changes in trade and agricultural production, agricultural price supports and subsidies in developed nations, diversions of food commodities to high input foods and fuel, commodity market speculation, and climate change."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80 ... ice_crisis

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 am

So this is another Climate Change thread now, too. Lovely. Wouldn't expect anything else.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 am

No, perhaps you should read Neal's link above.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 am

Velokid1 wrote:So this is another Climate Change thread now, too. Lovely. Wouldn't expect anything else.
Regime Change thread . . . think Regime Change.
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles