The State of the Union

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

The State of the Union

Post by glasseye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 am

I'm surprised at the lack of comment here on Obama's State of the Union Address. :scratch:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: The State of the Union

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:49 am

I did not watch it nor have I read much about it yet. Did hear a little about it on NPR the other morning. I was on a turn up Tuesday night with engineers and technicians, they were all Obama haters, and made that apparent but I did not speak up because I am not getting into politics at work. Still, I was seething, whenever I hear of Republicans "taking back America" crap, I think of Atlas Shrugged.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 am

I tried to view it but it caused so much conspiracy theory jaw flapping, triggered teeth gnashing that prompted us to turn it off mid speech. I had no problem watching and discussing; my cohorts just couldn't abide with it. My girlfriend did have a point: she hates political speech which 9 times outta ten is a bunch of hogwash and empty rhetoric; and this was no exception to the rule. And we both voted for him.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm

well at least we've moved away from having to look past the presidents shoulder at cheney and pelosi. clearly there was negative energy there. boehners tan is disturbing. i thought only eighteen year girls did that :tool on a spit smiley:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Barack always gives fantastic speeches. It seems to be the follow through, or lack of, that's always the issue.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 pm

It was well delivered. He made serious points. We do need to DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT if we want to protect any sort of pre-eminence or actually win on the world stage. He pointed out as clearly as a person can that we have work to do.
Yet, he is surrounded by small minds who don't get it. The rebuttals from Ryan Paul and "The Founding Fathers Worked Tirelessly To Eradicate Slavery" Michelle Bachmann, were so constipated and limiting and visionless, that I thought to myself, the United States does not deserve to be "#1" if we are forever saying "we can't afford to: educate, innovate, rebuild" all the while we drain the revenue stream into the pockets of rapidly increasing wealth at the top while the middle class continues to get squeezed to the point of subsistence survival.

But his moral anchor was nowhere evident. Not a peep about the gun violence that took out how many officers last week? How many children? Not to mention Gabrielle Giffords and those other people trying to exercise public democracy, not one peep to put the NRA on notice?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:33 am

Obama has moved toward the center. He is already running for re-election. he doesn't have to worry about his left wing base they will vote for hime no matter what as they would never vote republican. the centrists that voted for him are disappointed, he needs to win them back. the clintons are guiding him now. how many Clinton people are on his staff now?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:59 am

BINGO!
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:51 am

everything went exactly as you'd expect it to.
1979 California Transporter

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:04 pm

airkooledchris wrote:everything went exactly as you'd expect it to.
But not as we might have hoped it would.

I was disappointed. Platitudes, well presented. Especially the three stories of "ordinary Americans". Shallow, derivative, lame, predictable.

That he completely avoided the events in Arizona was inexcusable.

This is not the change we hoped for.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I was not going to weigh in here because of the negativity but after glasseye's post, I must!

Im a news junkie and love that I now can watch on my computer all the real stuff, ie; white house press breifings ect. Not to mention my love affair with Rachel Maddows wit and sharp insight. Ive watched every sotu available and this was by far the best. The pomp and circumstance of the arrival of our government heads to the laughable rebuttels. OK TO MY POINT--- You better read the transcript and see that President Obama started off by reconizing the tragedy in Arizona and the empty chair of the wounded congress woman, along with family members of the dead and wounded!!!! It was treated so well and just the right amount said.

I don,t know what station you were watching but in later programes of follow up, even the rebublicans were givin' him high marks.

He did real good and Im proud of our country to have this tradition, but now worried that if it is so edited by networks to cause the kind of deleation to cause doubt ----well it just make me angry.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Elwood wrote:I was not going to weigh in here because of the negativity but after glasseye's post, I must!

Im a news junkie and love that I now can watch on my computer all the real stuff, ie; white house press breifings ect. Not to mention my love affair with Rachel Maddows wit and sharp insight. Ive watched every sotu available and this was by far the best. The pomp and circumstance of the arrival of our government heads to the laughable rebuttels. OK TO MY POINT--- You better read the transcript and see that President Obama started off by reconizing the tragedy in Arizona and the empty chair of the wounded congress woman, along with family members of the dead and wounded!!!! It was treated so well and just the right amount said.

I don,t know what station you were watching but in later programes of follow up, even the rebublicans were givin' him high marks.

He did real good and Im proud of our country to have this tradition, but now worried that if it is so edited by networks to cause the kind of deleation to cause doubt ----well it just make me angry.

I don't want to be Mr. Negativity as I single-handedly save the United States of America from air-cooled VW extinction, but I did hear him express his condolences to the victims. I love our government structure and traditions.
BUT
The President lays out agendas for the future also. I was noting that he made no mention of our country doing a damn thing to staunch the last #1 position we have in the world -
We Kill More Citizens With Guns Than Anyone Else

It is immoral to miss this opportunity to state a principle that has great bearing on things like . . . healthcare expenses patching up gunshot victims, ya know?

How you doing, Barb? I am still mostly west here in Yuma.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Colin, did you watch or read her husbands interview telling about what a strong supporter of gun laws and the NRA she is? She has many and even a Glock (sp) like the troubled young man that did the shooting. So very much has been on the news and talk shows about the stats of our countries bad laws ect. The president did not want to add to the pain to include it in his speech. Wisly so and he does want to be re-elected! He was tring to bring us closer and work together better for the economy stupid. Sorry I could not resist.

I would love to be camping near a date palm orchard, but they do have rats in them. But alas I am waiting to find out about this pesky brain tumor and when and who will do the surgery. Also you ask about not driving, I was told that the DMV would send me a notice, Hospital by law has to inform them about people like me. I will conform when I see it in writting, don,t want to hurt nobody now, well maybe a moderator or two --wink

where are the emo cons? and Peters gallery picts??? I need joy in my life.

Love Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am

Elwood wrote: You better read the transcript and see that President Obama started off by reconizing the tragedy in Arizona and the empty chair of the wounded congress woman, along with family members of the dead and wounded!!!! It was treated so well and just the right amount said.
Mea culpa, Barb. Thanks for the correction. I watched the speech live, but came in a few minutes late. If it was mentioned during the first five minutes or so, I missed it. I didn't read the transcript.

Obama's a good orator; I guess I was expecting to be inspired. Instead, I was disappointed.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:12 am