Post by Spezialist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Checkmate

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: My Rendition of the Rules

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Again, may I request that we not dump our irritable bowels all over the keyboards.
There are other readers here who do not want to open a topic and waste their precious time on this Earth reading this tit-for-tat dithering diarrhea. Honestly.
Colin :pale:
Who's making them read the whole thread? Sorry Colin, but you kind of created this particular problem. Did you not think it would be somewhat inflammatory for many of the members of this forum?
I would like us to take a certain amount of pride or enjoyment in the quality of our conversations. It is lazy to have two word post kindergarten spats that are only a tit-for-tat between two people.

I do not understand how I created this problem.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 am

I don't think it's a problem you've created Colin, other than providing a platform/forum/opportunity for humanity to interact. Peoples are fraught with frailties of faults.

Censorship and free speech are at conceptual odds. Ideally communication can diffuse the triggers that lead to the urge to censor. Black and white. Neither concept would be relevant without the other.

Yet on occasion, in any public venue, some people must be shown to the door with the explanation that their presence isn't a right without reasons and intentions of utilizing the opportunities the facility provides, so please move on.

I hate it when that happens. Especially when I have to be the heavy.

And being rabidly free speech no censorship, I wholeheartedly endorse the willingness to indulge in the experiment of just that.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Colin

Really? Really? I'm talking about this thread in particular. You don't see how appointing moderator, the most purposely contradictory, Devil's advocate solely for the purpose to argue, look at me look at me person here as being a problem for a large percentage of members? Especially when as moderator you can no longer be put on ignore? Come on now. Maybe I'm speaking for myself and have less sense of general attitude of this forum than I thought. :dontknow:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 am

There can be no quality discussion as long as it involves a person whose sole intent is piss off others. We all piss each other off from time to time, but we don't log in with that as our primary goal and then give it multi-syllabic pretty names like "contrarianism.".

If we all praised Reagan, you bet yer ass turk would bring up all the horrible things he had done as President.

No discussion is going to progress as long as there's someone at the table eating glue with pencil erasers stuck up his nose. A grade school classroom scenario is precisely what one should expect to come from that.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 am

There's plenty of threads and discussions going on. No less or more than before. I don't see a problem. I havn't had to be a bad guy and snip much. Once and it was justifiable. Like I said, off-color, irrelevant, or oblique comments that take threads down blind alleys of pulling people's chains are not appropriate to civil discussion. I like to have vigorous topical debate. Like we are having in the country at large. If ideas piss people off that is an opportunity for that person to articulate their case.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 am

Westy78 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin

Really? Really? I'm talking about this thread in particular. You don't see how appointing moderator, the most purposely contradictory, Devil's advocate solely for the purpose to argue, look at me look at me person here as being a problem for a large percentage of members? Especially when as moderator you can no longer be put on ignore? Come on now. Maybe I'm speaking for myself and have less sense of general attitude of this forum than I thought. :dontknow:
I will not hang the quality of exchanges soley upon turk. He does not appear to be the only person doing the thought-free two-word responses. He is discovering for himself that being moderator really doesn't mean a thing when you have not had to defend the rules of the forum. I used to be cat-called DESPOT and a few other words, and could not understand why I was being called a power-mongering tyrant etc considering that I had only been in the moderator control panel three times in two years.

We all have our personal responsibilities in our individual interactions with other individuals. It takes two people to make a tit-for-tat. If absolutely not a soul interacted with turk, what would be the problem? What has actually changed around here with turk as moderator? My expectation was that turk would engage a bit more deeply as he considered people's replies from the vantage of having to look for rules transgressions.

Maybe I'm speaking for myself and have less sense of general attitude of this forum than I thought.

That may be true. It is true for me, too. I am nonplussed to discover that conversations seem to veer into the ditch of trite personal attacks because of some weird ego trigger/sloppy laziness which infects the forum. Having met so many people here, I just cannot reconcile the above with the bright people I have worked with.
ColinItMakesMeCurious
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 am

I don't really think it's a big deal. Ya' just hold people to some easy rules of civility. I have no problem with it at all.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

Right Turk, you're just a big victim in all of this. I truly believe you would argue against the opinion that the perceived color of the sky on a sunny day is blue just to get a little more attention.

Colin, I think you might be missing the bigger picture here. See Velo's post above.....

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 am

Who's a victim? Not me pal.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Interesting that you didn't dispute the rest of my comment.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Well Jasan, scientifically speaking, the true color of the sky on a sunny day as a result of dust particles and light diffusion....blah friggin' blah blah :geek: Sunny...but a tad gray in Maupin today...whazit doin' in PDX? Nehalem was a blast. Thought I'd hijack the thread a bit just because I can :rr: I personally find this whole experiment entertaining. Ironic, but entertaining. Sometimes I want to put myself on ignore...can I do that? That way I won't have to read some of the crap I occasionally post late at night...or now for that matter :cyclopsani:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Wow, this is interesting as hell. I'm gonna take a powder while y'all dispute this amongst yerselves. Play nice boys.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Yes, a condescending patronizing tone that contributes nothing to the discussion can certainly rub people the wrong way.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I don't see any contributions above that show anything substantial to back the claims, like Westy78's contribution. What is it but an edict wrapped in an attempt at an insult? Nothing there, so nothing worthwhile to dispute. But as I said, carry on y'all. If you have the time and I'll check back periodically to defend myself if I see fit.