Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Black Tea Party

Post by Sluggo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:06 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:the authors web site.

http://wayneperryman.com/

Yeah. He seems like a level headed guy. :drunken: Here's a description of his new book from that link.
Reverend Wayne Perryman wrote:Unveiling the whole truth. Based on the research contained in this book, he believes the media's headlines should have read:

Democrats convinced Bush & others that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The katrina disaster: it started before bush took office.

Bringing the troops home: a fatal mistake according to history.

The war over oil? More important than a war over weapons of mass destruction. (I thought they were one in the same.)

The so-called separation of Church & State: Never happened. (I actually kinda agree here.)

The race card: The liberals played it to launch the abortion movement in America

Bush: a true friend of black and the poor.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Which is the Real 'Racist' Party: Fifteen Questions for Democrats Big Journalism Posted by Frank Ross Feb 8th 2010

Once upon a time former Governor, Presidential candidate, and Chairman of the Democrat National Committee called the GOP the "White Party." CNN commentator Lou Dobbs took Dean to task for his language.

So was Dr. Dean, and those among the Left who share his understanding of history, accurate? Is the GOP the party of white people? Let's test the good doctor's diagnosis.

QUESTION: During whose administration did the signature of an African-American first appear on U.S. currency? During that of a Republican or a Democrat President?

ANSWER: In 1881, Republican President James A. Garfield appointed Blanche Bruce as Register of the Treasurer, making him the first African-American whose signature appeared on U.S. paper currency. In 1880, at the Republican National Convention in Chicago, when he received 8 votes for nomination as the party's vice presidential candidate, Bruce became the first African-American to win any votes at a major party's nominating convention.

QUESTION: Was the first African-American diplomat appointed by a Republican or a Democrat President?

ANSWER: In 1869, Republican President U.S. Grant appointed Ebenezer D. Bassett (1833--1908) as the first African- American ambassador representing the United States. He was Ambassador to Haiti.

QUESTION: Was the first African-American popularly elected U.S. Senator a Republican or a Democrat?

ANSWER: In 1966, Edward Brooke was the first African-American elected by popular vote to the U.S. Senate. He was a Republican Senator from Massachusetts.

QUESTION: During the late 1950's, William Monroe "Willie" Rainach, Sr., a Louisiana state legislator, led the "Massive Resistance" to desegregation in his state. Was Willie a Republican, or a Democrat?

ANSWER: "Willie" Rainach was a Democrat.

QUESTION: In 1957, nine African-American students attempted to enroll in Little Rock's Central High School. When they were barred entry by Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus, the President of the United States ordered federal troops to the school to assure their access to an education. Was Faubus a Republican, or a Democrat? Was that President a Republican or a Democrat?

ANSWER: Orval Faubus was a Democrat. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was a Republican.

QUESTION: In September 1962, U.S. Air Force veteran James H. Meredith enrolled as the first African-American student at the University of Mississippi. Governor Ross Barnett strongly opposed his entry into the school. Was Barnett a Democrat or a Republican?

ANSWER: Ross Barnett was a Democrat.

QUESTION: In 1965, the nation's eyes were focused on the Selma Voting Rights Movement and three Selma-to-Montgomery marches. Marchers were opposed by the White Citizens' Council and the Ku Klux Klan. On "Bloody Sunday," March 7, 1965, about 600 civil rights marchers left Selma and walked east. At the Edmund Pettus Bridge they were confronted and attacked by state troopers and sheriff's deputies. During this time, Theophilus Eugene "Bull" Connor, Alabama Public Safety Commissioner, became infamous for his brutal tactics against Civil Rights activists. Was "Bull" a Republican or a Democrat?

ANSWER: "Bull" Connor was a Democrat.

QUESTION: A sitting U.S. Senator once held the position of Exalted Cyclops in the Klu Klux Klan. Although he never served in the Armed Forces, he once wrote, "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side." Of which party is he a member, Republican or Democrat?

ANSWER: Robert Byrd, Democrat Senator from West Virginia, is the longest serving Senator in U.S. history. Once upon a time he wore the white sheet and hood, but has since repented.

QUESTION: In the U.S. Senate's passage of the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which political party had the highest percentage of its Senators vote for the Act? Republicans or Democrats?

ANSWER: 82% of the Republican Senators voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, while 69% of the Democrat Senators voted "Yes."

QUESTION: Was the first female African-American Cabinet member appointed by a Republican or a Democrat President? (Trick question.)

ANSWER: Patricia Roberts Harris, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and then Secretary of Education, was appointed to Democrat President Carter's Cabinet.

QUESTION: When you compare the makeup of the Cabinet members who served under Democrat President Jimmy Carter with the Cabinet members appointed by Republican President George W. Bush, which President appointed the highest percentage of African-Americans to his Cabinet?

ANSWER: Just 1 of the 21 persons Carter chose for his Cabinet, Patricia Harris, was an African-American, or 4.7% of his appointees. Of the 33 persons appointed by Bush to his Cabinet, 4 were African-Americans, or 12.1% (the same percentage reflected in our population). Bush's cabinet also included several other persons of color.

QUESTION: Was the first African-American popularly elected Governor a Republican or a Democrat?

ANSWER: Democrat Lawrence Douglas Wilder was the first African-American popularly elected as governor of a U.S. state. Wilder served as the 66th Governor of Virginia from 1990 to 1994. (Fair is fair.)

QUESTION: When was the race barrier broken with regard to the position of Secretary of State of the United States? Under a Republican or Democratic administration?

ANSWER: During the Republican administration of George W. Bush, Colin Powell became the first African-American Secretary of State. He was followed by Dr. Condoleezza Rice, also appointed by Bush, who was the first female African-American Secretary of State.

QUESTION: When was the race barrier broken with regard to the position of Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States Armed Forces? During a Republican or Democrat President's administration?

ANSWER: Republican President George H. W. Bush appointed General Colin Powell as Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1991. Earlier, Republican President Ronald Reagan appointed Powell as his National Security Advisor.

QUESTION: When the first African-American member of the U.S. Armed Forces engaged in action for which he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, was the President at the time a Democrat or a Republican?

ANSWER: Sergeant William Harvey Carney (1840-1908) of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry received the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Civil War Battle of Fort Wagner on July 18, 1863. The action of the 54th that day was depicted in the movie "Glory." The citation for his medal read:

"When the color sergeant was shot down, this soldier grasped the flag, led the way to the parapet, and planted the colors thereon. When the troops fell back he brought off the flag, under a fierce fire in which he was twice severely wounded."

The President was a Republican named Abraham Lincoln. Let's hope Dr. Dean was a better physician than he is an historian. As well as those who think like him.

"I'll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years." -President Lydon Baines Johnson, Democrat

"These negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they've never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness." -President Jimmy Carter (1977-1981), Democrat

"I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." -Senator Robert Byrd, Democrat

"I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's not a nigger or a Chinaman." -President Harry Truman, Democrat

Link
http://bigjournalism.com/acary/2010/02/ ... democrats/
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Hey vdubyah, who compiled the fifteen questions? It seems to be quite popular on conservative websites, but just posted by folks. I don't see any attribution.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm

This discussion is getting offensive and stupid.

The sleight-of-hand of those who neatly try to tie in the Republicans of the 1800s with the current group, and who try to claim that the conservative racist rural Democrats of the deep South 50s and 60s are somehow card-carrying George McGovern to Nancy Pelosi supporters, is obscene and duplicitous.

The fact of the matter is, the old school Republican Party was hijacked by neo-Conservatives who tapped the ignorant rural southern Democrats and used codified racist phraseology to garner their gains. Nixon/Agnew gained the most traction out of this shift, but GHW Bush wasn't beyond taking advantage of it.

And for the RECORD, it was J. Edgar Hoover who had it out for MLK. He requested and browbeat Robert Kennedy into supplying the authorization to wiretap. Hoover went much further of course, it was a PERSONAL VENDETTA for him. To interpret the series of events as a Democratic Party platform or some surprising new insight into "Robert Kennedy's secret Democratic racist agenda" is utter inanity.

As for Clinton, he was deigned America's First Black President by Toni Morrison. Read DeWayne Wickham's "Bill Clinton and Black America".

The internet is a place where the dopes can be duped with disgusting ease.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 am

how do you explain away George W Bush's cabinet as compared to any other modern presidents cabinet? You evidently didn't read it through before forming your opinion. there are only three examples from the 1800's the rest are from the 1950's to the present, that would be considered recent in any scholars research.

The last true Democrat was JFK, after him the progressives took control of the democratic party. Neocons, rinos and independents are mostly former democrats that don't like where the modern democratic party is going. I am one of them. This is just my personal take on it.

By the way I'm not what has been derisively called a "teabagger" by so many members of this board. I did however vote for the "shrub" (another insulting piece of rhetoric hurled about on this board), also voted for Clinton. Neither lived up to expectations, did not vote for Obama, Fear he will be re-elected as the Clinton's have hi-jacked his presidency. How many Clinton people does he now have in his cabinet? He has cleverly been moved closer to the center by either reality or the Clinton's. This is in order to win over the moderates of both parties. The far left will vote for him no matter what he does as they would never vote republican.

The tea party has some solid planks in their platform, less gov't, less taxes, I would think that you guys would be more interested in their platform than you are. Recall vehemently opposing the Patriot act on this board back a few years ago? You didn't like its intrusiveness? What do you think big gov't is going to do? The gov't will now every little detail about you as it gets bigger and bigger. That extra cash you make every year, working on the side, paid in cash. You know that $100, paid in cash, you pocket for selling scrap metal or whatever it is you guys do to make a buck on the side. Colin? Medical records? Won't get hired because you have a condition or you got hurt at your last job and collected. all that will be out there too. It will end up available to anyone that knows their way around the inter web. To me that is far more intrusive than a web bot crawling around looking for key words.

Wake up you guys we're going to hell in a handbasket. Social gov't doesn't work, look to Europe. What countries are in trouble and on the verge of collapse. How many of them have a heavy entitlement program load? research for yourselves that is how you learn, stop spoon feeding yourselves each others opinion and off handedly rejecting the other side.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am

The problem is that the typical Tea Party member has a very non-discerning, black/white concept of "less government" and every other aspect of their platform.

They are zealots. They say less government, but they are unable to make a distinction between the vital functions of government and the insidious functions.

It's like believing in "no junk food" but then you take it so far that you end up parading around saying "no food." Well, of course we all need food. And we need government. There are instances where the government must have a presence in our lives. Tea baggers don't know the difference between the Patriot Act and funding education.

The Patriot Act is based on lies and fear and takes away freedoms. Federal funding of education is a profound need, for the entire country's well-being, whether you're poor or rich, young or old... and it helps everyone when others get a solid education.

But there is this cognitive dissonance for them... wave a sign for 4 hours every 2nd Sunday of the month for a year that says "LESS GOVERNMENT NOW!" and suddenly you're allergic to every presence the gov't has in your life, cuz you don't want your teabagger friends (or worse, your tree hugging friends) to question your integrity.

Oh brother. Here I am again.

blah blah blah We could go on forever. The bottom line really is every single on of us should take up some sort of spiritual practice, self-reflection, maybe even go sit down with a shrink once a week... figure our shit out and instead of fighting about This Team vs. That Team... just learn to think clearly, banish your fears, love the people around you... basically, get over your issues.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 am

vdubyah73 wrote:how do you explain away George W Bush's cabinet as compared to any other modern presidents cabinet? You evidently didn't read it through before forming your opinion. there are only three examples from the 1800's the rest are from the 1950's to the present, that would be considered recent in any scholars research.
Oh please, GWB didn't listen to any of Colin Powell's advice and listen to only the extreme right with their world plots and revenge war against Saddam. Both Powell and Rice's appointment were publicity appointments, don't you remember Powell's speech to the UN even as the war was nearly underway???

The last true Democrat was JFK, after him the progressives took control of the democratic party. Neocons, rinos and independents are mostly former democrats that don't like where the modern democratic party is going. I am one of them. This is just my personal take on it.

Thank God for Progressives as the Democratic Party was nearly a mirror image of the GOP in the 50's/60's until the riots and anti war demonstrations of 60's brought about a left turn in the Democratic Party as the Democratic South went to the GOP as they turned sharply Right...(remember Barry Goldwater?)

Wake up you guys we're going to hell in a handbasket. Social gov't doesn't work, look to Europe. What countries are in trouble and on the verge of collapse. How many of them have a heavy entitlement program load? research for yourselves that is how you learn, stop spoon feeding yourselves each others opinion and off handedly rejecting the other side.
Have you been to Europe? Higher education is affordable for all who apply themselves, health care is excellent, their roads, bridges, railroads are in excellent shape. The small border countries of the EU are the trouble- Greece, Portugal....Who ever heard of retiring at 50 yrs old?
We spend 54% of our budget on Military so that makes us look foolish to the rest of the world as we speak of budget cuts to healthcare, education and other "social" services. Isn't American supposed to be the government of the people, for the people and by the people? Not just for the RICH, entitled folks who line their pockets from the huge corporations (bribes) and profess that less government is better! Less military is better! Can we first take care of the people here instead of the rest of the world protecting US corporations interests after they have set up factories and laid off the American workers.
Phaw, please don't quote Foxnews....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 am

Our military budget is larger than the military budgets of the rest of the world's countries combined.

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.acti ... 4978956625

Those poor failed (?) European countries.

neal

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

Amskeptic wrote:The internet is a place where the dopes can be duped with disgusting ease.
This is why I rarely get involved in these discussions. It's close to impossible to argue when the opposing view is not based in reality. I think I'll start searching for (or even building) websites that force my opinion. That way I can cite them when in debate.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Sluggo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:The internet is a place where the dopes can be duped with disgusting ease.
This is why I rarely get involved in these discussions. It's close to impossible to argue when the opposing view is not based in reality. I think I'll start searching for (or even building) websites that force my opinion. That way I can cite them when in debate.

"I read on Sluggo.com that I can buy my way into heaven, so I will be living in Paradise and you all will be toasting in hell."
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Our military budget is larger than the military budgets of the rest of the world's countries combined.

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.acti ... 4978956625

Those poor failed (?) European countries.

neal
If I have a chance I would like to live in Europe for a while in one of those failed countries. Gosh, even Greece isn't have bad most of the year on some small island and I am well over 50 so maybe I could retire too.

Seriously, the US military budget should be cut in HALF! Smoke that in your pipe!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Sylvester wrote:"I read on Sluggo.com that I can buy my way into heaven, so I will be living in Paradise and you all will be toasting in hell."
Use the donation tab to donate $100 or more and you too can achieve divinity!. Simply use the donation tab on our navigation bar located at the top of the page. Make sure you enter "Sluggo's Stairway To Heaven" in the subject box.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Don't hate the man, hate the banner he hides under. Burn it, kill it, then you just have a man. Naked, vulnerable, venerable.
And then the rest of this crap we fight over becomes nothing. What is it anyway? Individuality? Privacy? What is so important in an illuminated box that some will either eat cat feces or walk on the backs of others, just to sit in it?
I dunno, tear the walls down, but we are all on different paths, and perhaps we do have to protect ourselves within these Feudal societies we hold so dear. Or maybe it's just mayhem after all, and the stilling of the pond is only possible within. Yes?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Ohhhhmmmmmm.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 pm

vdubyah73 wrote: how do you explain away George W Bush's cabinet as compared to any other modern presidents cabinet?
I don't explain it away. Good for him. Good for GWB for his AIDS work in Africa.

vdubyah73 wrote: Wake up you guys we're going to hell in a handbasket. Social gov't doesn't work, look to Europe. What countries are in trouble and on the verge of collapse. How many of them have a heavy entitlement program load?
But Bill, the only people trying to discredit our government are the people who are hell-bent on starving the funding for programs we actually do need and like! These people, read my lips, Want Government To Fail.
We took in less revenue last year as a percentage of GDP than any time since 1949! Yet Obama's policies DID manage to shrink the deficit a modest amount last year. Social Security is free-standing independent of any discussion of the deficit, yet there are deceitful people out there trying to muddy the waters. Just by removing the cap on S.S. payments, it would be self-sufficient into perpetuity.

Our biggest problem in this country, is not the style of our government, nor is it our entitlement programs, which are modest by other industrial country standards. It is the corporate incest going on Congress and now, I hate to say it, but even the Supreme Court. Scalia and Thomas down at a Koch Brothers retreat? Good GOD.

Bill, if we put in the exact tax code we had under Reagan, and made behomeths like GE actually pay their taxes instead of pay $0.00 like last year, due to loopholes, we would be paying our bills. Government has not grown under Democrats, it grew under Reagan and GWBush particularly, with that bloated Homeland Security Department, but even so, we are about 20-24% government/vs private and it has been this way for decades.

Medicare is our bugaboo. It is not the care itself that is so costly. It is the charges run up by pharmaceuticals and HMOs/hospitals and specialty practices. Other countries have greater medical burdens and are paying only half as much as we are. There is time for us to save our necks. The healthcare law is designed to to rein in some of these costs and actually help trim the deficit over the next decade. We working on it, Bill. We can do it, but it will take some courage from those rich fat asses who just can't tolerate paying even Clinton-era tax rates on income that has almost doubled through this recession.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles