Climate Of Hate - Paul Krugman

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Re: Climate Of Hate - Paul Krugman

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:27 am

I'm not being clever or coy. I'm being literal.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:47 am

Then scenario A, the former, is confirmed. But really, it's easier to admit Krugman gaffed. A collective blind-spot obscured that obvious point even after overwhelming evidence to the contrary was brought to light. Once a convenient theory is embraced by a certain segment, it's defended to the depths of absurdity.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am

Gaffed? Nah. There are certainly plenty of those who will "try to dismiss the massacre as the mere act of a deranged individual, and go on as before." A convenient theory embraced by a certain segment and "defended to the depths of absurdity."

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

So then, the massacre was a result of the "right-wing incendiary rhetoric". This despite just a few weeks hence the civility we want is exemplified by the rants we see Amskeptic indulge in. KICK ASS, paralysis, simple-minded donkeys, hijacked, hostages, fear-mongerers, reflexive parrots, etc.. That's civility. Okaaaaay. Can't have it both ways bud.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Colin's words inspired me to kick a guy's ass last night. Then I paralyzed someone, hijacked a kids 10-speed, mongered someone's fear and reflexed a parrot.

Colin, you need to reducticate the tone of yer disencivilized rhetoric.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 pm

That's good Velokid. You're starting to get my point. In other words, just as ridiculous to claim, as Krugman clearly did, and Amskeptic clearly agrees, there is good reason not to "try to dismiss the massacre as the mere act of a deranged individual, and go on as before". The alarmist pundits, Krugman and Amskeptic included, continue to insist so, even after the claim proved premature and shallow. We could discuss the history of incendiary rhetoric in politics in this country and references are not scarce, across the spectrum of political persuasions. We could discuss the history of senseless mass murders in this country and again references are aplenty, and yet we didn't have the outcry on those incidents we do here. It's all in the timing (oh that horrible "climate" don't you know) and, most importantly, not having a better argument to bring to the table. So, we get this trash. Like I said, it is suitable to the National Enquirer, the New Yorker, etc.. Par for the course for the Times too, especially a nit-wit blowhard like Krugman.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Too early to tell if the claim is "premature and shallow". The issue is rife with complexity. We are products of our society/environment despite the most vehement denials of individuals. Why were we unable to help this deranged individual? The most obvious is the gutting and unfunding of social service programs for folks with mental health issues. We failed, and this is the cost of those cost-saving decisions. A bit of counseling would certainly seem to me to be the more cost-effective solution. Federal trials, emergency services, legal and court entanglements, the dead and injured, lost family, lost workers, ramped up fear, more guns etc is exceedingly more expensive and damaging to society as a whole, far outwaying the benefits of shaving social budgets to finance wars. Certainly there's political gains, small government, fiscal responsibility, blah blah, selfish gains at our expense and tragedy.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:39 pm

There ya' go. Keep changing the subject to broader and broader parameters and point to complexity. I can't disagree with ya'. Howeva' Krugman was pretty specific and so is Amskeptic. It's Palin and those Teabaggers ya' know. They did it. They caused that boy to lose it.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't know if Palin's targets prompted this guy or not but one thing for sure is her belligerence through all this shows just what an ignoramus she is. God I can't stand her.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Please don't attempt to paraphrase what you feel my perceptions are turk. I'm not really a person who sees things in only two tones, black, or white. My world is all shades of gray.
Funny, I didn't realize discussion had a strict rule book. I've never seen one.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry. I wasn't aware I was paraphrasing you. I agree with what I got the gist of your comment: it's complicated, and there's very likely societal causes to the young man's determination to carry out the mayhem. I wouldn't agree it is simply the political rhetoric we engage in and that the bulk of that comes from one side. There's always heated rhetoric, and it comes from all sides. That is basically what I've been saying. I find it petty and repulsive in the aftermath of what happened for either side to try to claim "higher ground" and to make that an issue in a senseless event which only caused pain and suffering. It may seem like we're all doing that now, but the original charges of blame came from the side that made them. The other side responded to those charges, as they have a right to. They shouldn't be held responsible for it anymore than their accusers. As far as the societal roots of the act, that's something to consider, but here in this thread obviously the blame has been made and that's the barrel of monkeys we are trying to disentangle now. So, sorry if I misinterpreted your explanation that it's too early to tell, but I just think blame on political ideology can wait till the facts in this are known by everyone. In that aspect I would agree. There's nothing to argue about.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm

And Ted Rall has yet another perspective on the issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/20110115/c ... ntpolitics

"And I'm not talking about gun violence.

I'm talking about the wholesale over-the-top violence of neo-colonialism abroad, fueled by a cult of militarism here at home. U.S. forces are currently engaged in combat operations and propping up puppet regimes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Colombia, the Philippines, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen and many other countries. They are hated and reviled there. Here every other car's bumper urges us to "support our troops."

We kill so many civilians we can't be bothered to count them; not even America's wimpy phony Left opposes the killing of "enemy" uniformed soldiers who die defending their homelands. Military action is America's default response to every major news story. The 9/11 attacks? Kill them all--even if we're not sure who "they" are. Hurricane Katrina? Send in the troops--not help. Indian Ocean tsunami, earthquakes in Pakistan or Haiti--anything and everything is an opportunity to invade, corrupt, pillage and murder."

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:17 pm

ruckman101 wrote:And Ted Rall has yet another perspective on the issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/20110115/c ... ntpolitics

"And I'm not talking about gun violence.

I'm talking about the wholesale over-the-top violence of neo-colonialism abroad, fueled by a cult of militarism here at home. U.S. forces are currently engaged in combat operations and propping up puppet regimes in Afghanistan, Iraq, Colombia, the Philippines, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen and many other countries. They are hated and reviled there. Here every other car's bumper urges us to "support our troops."

We kill so many civilians we can't be bothered to count them; not even America's wimpy phony Left opposes the killing of "enemy" uniformed soldiers who die defending their homelands. Military action is America's default response to every major news story. The 9/11 attacks? Kill them all--even if we're not sure who "they" are. Hurricane Katrina? Send in the troops--not help. Indian Ocean tsunami, earthquakes in Pakistan or Haiti--anything and everything is an opportunity to invade, corrupt, pillage and murder."

neal

Really now? This Rall guy is quite the iconoclast. The wimpy left huh? Yemen and the Philippines and others are umbrella'd under a group including our "puppet regimes". What solutions does this critic have? Like I said, into the rabbit hole of PC feigned despair, while Ted Rall makes a few bucks "reporting" on the atrocities of America on Yahoo News. It never ends and Ted Rall knows it all too well.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

A person can't "feign" reality.

neal

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Reality is complicated. Ted Rall is certainly entitled to his view of it but seems to me he makes a career out of emphasizing an extreme view which should be taken with the appropriate grain of salt.