Understand the French, and see how they understand Americans

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Understand the French, and see how they understand Americans

Post by twinfalls » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:39 pm

The French are arrogants, the Americans are big mouths.
So, what.
Red necks, in France and in the US are so much the same.

Here are things that do hurt me:
Comments like "The French had two reverse speed duriing WW2".
But,
The two speed in reverse is a joke too, in France about Italians.

Considering, the french to be cowards, is an insult;
Not to me, I was not born,
To my father and grandfather.

Yes, I am thankfull to be born in a country freed from the nazies and the bolcheviks.

My grandfather was sent to Verdun as a soldier, at the age of 17, he was soon made prisonner, spent years in Poland, survived from tortures and rotten food, thanks to Russian prisonners helping him. He was an escaper, many time, tortured when caught. He had no idea about where he was, had no chance to make it to France, but he kept on escaping, being caught again and tortured again.
VW1 was an awfull butchery. But, it did stop after a French battle victory.

My father had not finished hight school studies, that war made him an officer. No way he was a coward, they all did everything, to try stopping the German Blitz, at every river and bridge.
I have notebooks, where the shellings of the four 75 caliber guns he was responsilbe for, are accounted. When the war was near over, my father was 100lbs, so lean, he survived from german shelling cause he could sneak in between a tank caterpillar for a safer shelter.
WW2 beginning was fast ( Kriek blitz ). France was knocked down, Yes germans was much more stronger.
But, do not tell me, or hint, anymore that, the French are cowards.
It cannot apply to me, and it is an unacceptable insult to my father and grandfather.

I do have so much respect for them, that I can tell you, that nothing will ever keep me locked or my mouth shut.

You, Americans, know nothing, about war on your land, surviving and fighting for your land. You've knocked out of your memory most of the Civil war and the taking of the lands from the indians.

Please, understand this unpleasant comment, and please understand the old world.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Where'd that come from?

Bill

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:59 pm

I hope, freedom really is, here, in Free Speech.

I expect respect about my freedom that might hurt your'se.
I'll try to respect your undertanding about freedom.

I hope, this place will not become a redneck insult throwing area.

In case, it goes that way, I'll program an automatic answering service.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:12 pm

Nope, no insults just wonderin' what set you off.

Bill

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:15 am

"freedom fries"?
I don't think you have to worry about that on this forum, people have a lot more respect here.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:43 am

And thank goodness both of our countries have helped each other out over the years. Viva la France for helping our fledgling country out of the weeds and among other things, Lady Liberty. I would have to add a few events: the Pig War in the San Juan Islands, 1812, Pearl Harbor, September 11th. Although not on a scale anywhere near the two WW, you are spot on in regards to what an attack on your home does to a society psyche. Hopefully our world will eventually yank its head out of its ass and stop killing each other and the natural generational dillusion will put these atrocites in the "we learned ALL the lessons from our mistakes" category. Actually, now that I think about it you folks also had the French Revolution...eek.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:43 am

twinfalls,
I hope my San Francisco comment didn't set you off. If it did, I apologize, it wasn't intended to be an insult in any way towards your great country. France is the oldest ally the United States has, the philosophies of our revolutionary wars are forever intertwined. Early support from France helped this fledgling democracy to grow. The French resistance fought valiantly during WWII and the atrocities of the western front during WWI are something that should never be forgotten. I have the utmost respect for the people of France.
However, I don't find the Italian joke very funny.
-John Molinari
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Understand the French, and see how they understand Ameri

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:56 pm

twinfalls wrote: The French are arrogants, the Americans are big mouths.
So, what.

But, do not tell me, or hint, anymore that, the French are cowards.
It cannot apply to me, and it is an unacceptable insult to my father and grandfather.
So how did I get blessed with both arrogance and a big mouth?
Jenesaispas. . .

Do not tell us or hint that you would be wounded by such empty and stupid insults. Do not allow such a thing as an "unacceptable insult."
That is a huge banner that says STEP RIGHT UP AND GIVE ME YOUR BEST SHOT."

You must be absolutely confident in your personal truth and your understanding of the valor of your father and grandfather. You must be absolutely immune to the taunts of idiots who do not know you or your father or your grandfather or your nation. You must be immune from such ignorance! Look at how the Muslims allow a cartoon !?! to wreak such havoc that people died because of it. "Unacceptable insults" are merely the ammunition that seek mis-guided pride, a pride that is not certain, not sure of the truth. Your country does not have to answer to our stupid insults. But both you and I, as members of countries that we love, must remain clearly focused on our truths and share them regardless of the insults of the ignorant.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Twinfalls,

I had the privilege of visiting your beautiful country in 2001 when my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Paris. On more than one occasion my husband and I felt the need to apologize to some of your countrymen for the rude behavior and treatment from Americans who were also visiting there, albeit in broken French. It was always appreciated!

We were told by some here things "we should expect" in France but I can tell you it didn't happen, nor did we believe them.

For those who would choose to put their ignorance on display, their reward is their own karma.

Viva la France!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 am

Thank you for all your nice answers.
I started this thread, because that day, I had an argument with a Frenchman telling me most of the anti American stereotypes in France. I told him about most of the anti French stereotypes in the US, to explain how the same stupidity does exist on both sides of the pond.
Luckily there more good people.
I was quite upset, and remembered a terrible flame onto me on The Samba / Rants. Few people, may be only one under several pseudos ( from South Carolina, and I have real name and home address ) gave me all the anti French insults. This was perfectly managed and stopped by The Samba / Bay Windows moderators.
I have no complaint, other than this old flame on The Samba.
Thanks, again, I am glad to see there are good people here.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 pm

i remember the time in 1987 when i had took my motorcycle from england to calais aboard the hovercraft. halfway across the channel it started pouring rain heavily. in calais i stopped into the first open, dry place with a beer tap. soaked, i sat down and the guys there sussed me out right away as an american. i got the lowenbrau clubbing all night until i was clobbered [and dry] telling me how great john kennedy was the whole time, over and over, john kennedy this, john kennedy that. sure, sure. that was my first exposure to france. the following week i stopped into a dry cleaners in paris to ask directions and the young girl working the counter asked her mother about it, and they locked up the business and had me follow them a couple miles in their car. france is fucking kookie and i sure like it. find me a fixer stone farmhouse and barn near aix-au-provence and i'll prove it.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:46 am

twinfalls wrote:( from South Carolina, and I have real name and home address )
Heh.

For being such an asshole, he sure isn't hard to find, is he? Most of the "online badass" types I've encountered over the years at least *try* to hide. :bounce:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:02 pm

twinfalls wrote:Thank you for all your nice answers.
I started this thread, because that day, I had an argument with a Frenchman telling me most of the anti American stereotypes in France. I told him about most of the anti French stereotypes in the US, to explain how the same stupidity does exist on both sides of the pond.
Luckily there more good people.
I was quite upset, and remembered a terrible flame onto me on The Samba / Rants. Few people, may be only one under several pseudos ( from South Carolina, and I have real name and home address ) gave me all the anti French insults. This was perfectly managed and stopped by The Samba / Bay Windows moderators.
I have no complaint, other than this old flame on The Samba.
Thanks, again, I am glad to see there are good people here.
Remember that there are good people here. A suggestion, next time you feel the urge to rant and rave, start it with an explanation like the one you eventually gave. It will help to put things in perspective for the rest of us. Throwing out unfounded accusations and offering veiled threats is not a good way to get your point across.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm

LiveonJG wrote:A suggestion, next time you feel the urge to rant and rave, start it with an explanation like the one you eventually gave. It will help to put things in perspective for the rest of us. Throwing out unfounded accusations and offering veiled threats is not a good way to get your point across.
-John
The French are arrogants, the Americans are big mouths.
So, what.
I thought that was an excellent start. :king:
Colin
(I was all ears to hear what he needed to say)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:44 pm

The funny thing is, stereotypes always have a grain of truth in em'....
And I have a big mouth. What? I do. :cheers:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat