How will you and will you VOTE?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

How will you and will you VOTE?

Post by Elwood » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:48 pm

As Ive posted before on what the republicans say when asked about -well anything- the defenses go up about the troops and how dare anyone question the president. Kerry is not even on a ballot and had the balls to speak out against what is going on. It is true when our young men and women have no opportunity for education or jobs that even pay enough to pay the rent or raise a family it lures them into the service under false pretense that the future will be brighter. Ask the families of those lost ones, now in the 100's what they think?? Yes Im pissed and making many phone calls to see if I can help. Thank You! Barb

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:54 am

Actually here in Ma. the parents of soldiers who died in Iraq are pissed at Kerry for making such a callous statement. Sure you could find a mother to side with him, but even a women that lost her son two weeks ago blasted Kerry on this mornings news. Members of his own party are asking for an apology. Kerry is an asshat. I'm voting republican for all my state offices but only because there is something like a 90% democratic house and you gotta have some balance or ya end up with what we had with Mike Dukakis. Probably vote for Kennedy cause ya need dissent down in DC as well. Figure that out!

Bill

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:57 am

As Kerry said, anyone who thinks a vet would critize the troops and not the pres is wrong...Kerry messed up a joke, he was mocking the pres,,,who as everyone should know goofed off in college, he was saying that because of this we as a country got stuck in Iraq. The republicans are spinning again...
I'm voting Dem all the way this time so we can have investigations and the pres and his cronies can maybe go to jail. No one should be allowed to murder as many people as Goerge W. Bush has and get away with it.
Yes people, that is what a pre-emptive attack on a country that did nothing to us is, murder. Anyone who votes Rep and henceforth allows the murder to continue needs to understand they are just as guilty as those who orchestrated this,,,and that means even if voting Dem would cost you some extra money,,,it is still murder,,all that means is you have a price, your willing to murder so you don't have to pay more taxes.

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

Post by jblair630 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 am

Am I going to vote? Hell yeah.
Do I think it will make one lick of difference? Hell no.

Its my firm belief that electronic voting machines are an open invitation to fraud and abuse. There is no paper trail and they are easily hackable. Also the "voice of the people" is an illusion at best. Our government at the local level is basically a good ol' boy network and it just keeps getting more corrupt as you go higher up the food chain. The only voice that gets heard in Washington belong to whomever has the highest pile of money sitting in front of them.

Cynical? You bet.
They why vote? Because I remember the story of two people who had fallen off a cliff. One person starts flapping his arms frantically. The other says "What the hell are you doing? You're not going to fly by flapping your arms." and the first replies, "You never know. I might just be the first."
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:05 am

I love that arm-flapping story! I love analogies and that's the one I've been searching for when I hear people talk about how doomed the human race is ("humans have fought and stolen from each other since the beginning of time!") and I try to explain that while I agree we are most likely already on the slippery slope, their defeatist attitude doesn't fly with me.

We may be doomed. But we also may be saved by Love, after all. Sure would be great if folks would just give it a try.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

The Republicans certainly have made a horrible mess out of things, haven't they? It's time for a new point of view.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:52 am

All these so called leaders looking over their shoulders to see what their cronies say; all of them playing a collective cover your ass game. None seem to be able to think for themselves; you know, actually lead. We haven't had what I would call a real statesman in years. George Bush, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Dan Quayle, and on and on. Do any of these have a connect with my life? Would they have a clue? Hey George. When was the last time you waited in line at the grocery and waited while the Bosnian lady decided which to put back. Imagine. She was cash poor this week. Hey John did the homeless guy hit you up too? Did you cover his bus fare? Dan. Did you sweat out the draft? My cousin went and didn't come back. Was that your seat he got? I wonder if Hillary and Bill ever had to decide which ER had the shortest wait because for some the ER is the only way to get your babys stomach flu looked at. You all sit in your ivory towers and squabble among yourselves and once in a while you toss a scrap to me and think that justifies your existence. Well I'll be voting just like I have for the past 35 years. Sometimes I vote for the right guy and sometimes not. But there is always a little voice in the back of my head that says this is all a game just to make me feel like I have a little power. Truth is it matters little. What I do know is our lives are ripples. I pass a couple of bucks to the Bosnian lady and I give bus fare to the homeless guy. I don't even care that the bus story is a ruse. I just know that he is closer to me than you are. And because I was blessed and only by circumstance I can spread a little happiness. Unattached. You all are famous and powerful but you are so petty and wasteful.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:52 am

There are some rediculous proposals on the CO ballot. Though I do like the legalize marijuana initiative. :cheers:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:53 am

Already voted, just need to drop the ballots in teh box at the library .. Oregon's vote-by-mail is convenient, but I miss those little "I voted!" stickers we used to get on election day in California.

Joked a bit about voting Constitution Party "because the Republicans aren't right-wing enough these days", but wasn't serious. Practicality got in the way of idealism in the Governor's race .. I *wanted* to vote third-party but settled for the lesser evil from the Big Two. :pukeleft: :pukeright:

I'm thinking about getting some gag stickers made up .. "Cthulhu '08: Vote For The Lesser Evil" :joker:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:23 pm

RussellK wrote:All these so called leaders looking over their shoulders to see what their cronies say; all of them playing a collective cover your ass game. None seem to be able to think for themselves; you know, actually lead. We haven't had what I would call a real statesman in years. George Bush, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Dan Quayle, and on and on. Do any of these have a connect with my life? Would they have a clue? Hey George. When was the last time you waited in line at the grocery and waited while the Bosnian lady decided which to put back. Imagine. She was cash poor this week. Hey John did the homeless guy hit you up too? Did you cover his bus fare? Dan. Did you sweat out the draft? My cousin went and didn't come back. Was that your seat he got? I wonder if Hillary and Bill ever had to decide which ER had the shortest wait because for some the ER is the only way to get your babys stomach flu looked at. You all sit in your ivory towers and squabble among yourselves and once in a while you toss a scrap to me and think that justifies your existence. Well I'll be voting just like I have for the past 35 years. Sometimes I vote for the right guy and sometimes not. But there is always a little voice in the back of my head that says this is all a game just to make me feel like I have a little power. Truth is it matters little. What I do know is our lives are ripples. I pass a couple of bucks to the Bosnian lady and I give bus fare to the homeless guy. I don't even care that the bus story is a ruse. I just know that he is closer to me than you are. And because I was blessed and only by circumstance I can spread a little happiness. Unattached. You all are famous and powerful but you are so petty and wasteful.
Well said

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 pm

Ditto to the above - lets stay on course and just do what we feel is best for our country. I too feel that the voting machines are suspect but still must go to the place and exercise MY RIGHT. Im so turned off by negative ads in California ~~~ this insane way of advertizing has got to stop---my own throw up--- got more important things to do. :geek:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 pm

I was just talking to my dad about voting and said I was voting third party for governor. He said a third party vote was a vote for ::insert "greater of two evils" here::.

I said "Fine I just won't vote then."

He asked why?

I said "Cause one vote won't matter"

He said "If everyone thought their one vote didn't matter, then no one would vote"

I said "If everyone thought their third party vote didn't matter, then no one would vote third party"

He had no comeback....
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:15 am

DjEep wrote:I was just talking to my dad about voting and said I was voting third party for governor. He said a third party vote was a vote for ::insert "greater of two evils" here::.

I said "Fine I just won't vote then."

He asked why?

I said "Cause one vote won't matter"

He said "If everyone thought their one vote didn't matter, then no one would vote"

I said "If everyone thought their third party vote didn't matter, then no one would vote third party"

He had no comeback....
That's a good point.... In 2004 I was Libertarian, I had a strong agruement for why I was not wasting my vote.......This time I am taking a break from that though because the greater goal is to get enough dems and not reps in office to get these criminals punished.
Everyone please vote even if the machines are rigged, cause it will help us agrue the case afterwards,,,the larger the numbers to show the crime.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:21 am

Definitely voting Dem for congress and senate, we need some impeachment proceedings!

But I refuse to vote for Arnie or the shitbrick Phil Angelides in the CA governor race.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:58 pm

DjEep wrote: we need some impeachment proceedings!
Second that.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles