More Microsoft Garbage

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:02 pm

FF is slower in some things, faster in others. Much faster in Java applet presentations, Flash, JavaScripting, etc. Slower in raw HTML rendering, and image displays. :: shrug ::

It does a reasonable job blocking popups, tabs is awesome, and the fact it's not a M$ product is just a bonus.

I develop for IE because that's what's standard at work. But when I do things for the public, I develop for both. If it breaks in either (or in Opera) I fix.

I own 4 legit copies of XP Pro. I don't use them except on my laptop. The rest of my machines run 2k or Lindows (errr... Linspire...stupid lawyers), and one running Debian.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:18 am

I love Firefox and have been using it for some time now. What I have noticed is that when I run spyware (like Adaware)
on either my pc or laptop, there seem to be fewer attempts at infiltration with Firefox than IE.

I am a full time student and some of the url's I am required to use won't work with Firefox and I will get a popup saying
as much. Pisses me off but then that's only one of many *technology issues* that my school has. Don't know about other
schools. You'd think with something *free* like a Firefox browser, the school's IT Dept would jump on it? Ah, school and
bureaucracy are synonymous terms!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:54 am

On the contrary, I think they make lots of money off of their contracts with Microsoft. I know I.U. did when I was there.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:35 am

Velokid1 wrote:On the contrary, I think they make lots of money off of their contracts with Microsoft. I know I.U. did when I was there.
Oh, yeah, my bad :cyclopsani:
I guess I should have made myself more clear about school. Oooops! What I meant was I wish they would not be dependent
upon IE in particular as a portal aside from whatever deals they have with MS but I guess if you have some you get all, no?
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:29 am

Yeah, I'm not in the industry but the assumption I always made when we IU students were purchasing a complete Microsoft package of software for like $10 or whatever was that Microsoft makes it worthwhile financially for IU to get these future college grads "hooked on"/familiar with MS products. Future customer base.