Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:05 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
It matters little what we do here.
I was with you until I read the above.

The millions and billions of little decisions we make every day are building something huge.

While many religions totally tie themselves up in knots with the intrinsic conflict of free-will and their inane determinism of an Omnipotent God, I choose to think that when God gave us free will, he basically was throwing a Hail Mary and praying that we would find the right decisions.

If you allow the enormity of free will, it suddenly puts this whole planet in our hands where it belongs. We have to do the work. Every damn step matters. And we are free to fuck it up. And those idiot fundamentalists who absolve themselves of any responsibility to keep this humanity experiment growing ("hey don't worry about it, Armageddon's right around the corner, I know I'm going to heaven. . .") are going to be in for a rude surprise at the Gates of St. Peter when he asks, "soooooo, whadjado to nurture your God-given Paradise down there?" and they stammer, "but the Good Book said that there would be tribulations, so I helped tribulate."

Even with an aetheist perspective, this intricate and beautiful planet requires careful stewarding, you can't back away from that. That's the beauty of this cosmic design, it has room for all of us and it requires effort from all of us. It has never demanded more from us than we can handle, ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is an enormous pain in the ass, because once you know, you can't pretend that you . . . uh. . . forgot. Not when it comes to decisions of how you lead your life.

So you be exquisitely gentle and consistent with your misbehaving dog, it leaves a lasting impression on your four year-old daughter who becomes the mom of an incredibly difficult bright child who is successfully raised through this idiot culture with the same gentle sureness his mom witnessed as a child and discovers easy cold fusion technology and saves the world from hot energy, ya never know.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I was with you until I read the above.

Colin

Sigh...Bring your daughter and SO with you, we'll go to this hippy dippy church that my wife discovered, you'll see we aren't far off.

If this planet matters you are correct. I don't think it does, we are but a speck in this universe. I mean it matters to us but in the big picture...not so much.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:49 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
If this planet matters you are correct. I don't think it does, we are but a speck in this universe. I mean it matters to us but in the big picture...not so much.
The Speck Defense often comes from people who are overwhelmed at the enormity of it all. But there are some specks that are quite a bit more important than other specks. Just one tiny little spermatazoa in a sea of millions of others became part of your daughter, CYA to all of those loser sperms that died. . . . .
This is true in the Universe and it is true in warm little places. All of humanity is a little time/space speck on a wobbling little planet of a mediocre little star, but it is not difficult at all to see that, though we are truly in the dark as to a greater purpose, it is a magnificent little egg in the Cosmos. One that I enjoy and celebrate just for its beauty not to mention incredible engineering. It may have already been fertilized by a Purpose. I think we are in the process, actually.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:55 pm

chitwnvw wrote:If this planet matters you are correct. I don't think it does, we are but a speck in this universe. I mean it matters to us but in the big picture...not so much.
In the grand scheme of the universe at this particular point of liner time, you're probably right. But unless we extinct-ify ourselves, at some future point in time we'll probably get off this rock and take a whole bunch of biological life with us. We've been looking to (and reaching for) the stars since our ancestors climbed out of the trees, and we're probably smart enough to pull it off someday.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:28 pm

I agree with Colin.

Plus, giving up would be a f**king bore.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:36 pm

So It really looks to me like you dudes are lost in space. Colin is this why you mailed back the little happy Budha I gave you last visit? Along with paint brushes I thought you could use for your art? It was not a religious thang~~~ It was ment for a window to happiness~~~ read about it-please!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:...to all of those loser sperms that died. . .

Colin
Ahh, the haves and the have nots. But all those loser sperms are made out of a star that exploded billions of years ago, and got the chance, briefly, to know life, and to have a chance at being half of a future independent life form. Something of an allegory to our own existance. And who's to say the sperms life isn't a complete one. There are those flies that only live a day, to them, maybe that feels like a century.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 am

chitwnvw wrote: I love that we were all once atoms in a star.
"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective."
Ambassador Delenn, A Distant Star

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Duroc is your avatar really a photo of you?

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:30 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Duroc is your avatar really a photo of you?
LOL!

No, that's Bester from Babylon 5.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 pm

DurocShark wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Duroc is your avatar really a photo of you?
LOL!

No, that's Bester from Babylon 5.
I thought it was Carl Sagan with a haircut.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:59 pm

Velokid1 wrote:I agree with Colin.

Plus, giving up would be a f**king bore.
Let's not forget that the universe is predicted to collapse, and once again a big bang, try not giving up or being bored by that, no matter how much we spread our dna...