WTF? (terror bill)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

WTF? (terror bill)

Post by tristessa » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:40 pm

Seriously, What. The. Fuck?!??
fark.com wrote:Bush is attempting to pardon himself and his administration for war crimes before Congress is out of session
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoRjbIQMXGQ

.. if they're so *sure* they haven't done anything illegal, why is a pardon needed?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:55 pm

It's total bullshit! Last week we get this trumped up story of a small but determined group of rogue rebublicans standing up for what they believe is right. A deal is worked out with the White House and we're to believe the Constitution will be protected. Nothing but a huge load of shit. The House strips out anything W didn't want and then the Senate passes it! The suspension of habeas corpus just brings us closer and closer to living under a dictatorship. My greatest fear is that before the next presidential election the threat of a terrorist attack will be SO GREAT that the president will declare martial law and inevitably suspend elections.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:39 am

LiveonJG wrote:It's total bullshit! Last week we get this trumped up story of a small but determined group of rogue rebublicans standing up for what they believe is right. A deal is worked out with the White House and we're to believe the Constitution will be protected. Nothing but a huge load of shit. The House strips out anything W didn't want and then the Senate passes it! The suspension of habeas corpus just brings us closer and closer to living under a dictatorship. My greatest fear is that before the next presidential election the threat of a terrorist attack will be SO GREAT that the president will declare martial law and inevitably suspend elections.
-John
No doubt, we are in trouble, there is no one, two, or three ways about it. We have seen the beginning of the end of this wonderful country.

The video didn't play for me, but I'm somewhat familiar with the issue.
Not like Cheney when he said, "There is no doubt Saddam has weapons of mass destruction". I say there is no doubt we are in some serious trouble in this county, it will be way too late when some people finally realize it.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:01 am

Yeah but did anyone notice that of the democrats up for reelection a high percentage voted in favor of the bill. Peace at any cost is not the answer.

Bill

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 am

vdubyah73 wrote:Yeah but did anyone notice that of the democrats up for reelection a high percentage voted in favor of the bill. Peace at any cost is not the answer.

Bill
I suspect the administration has a dirt database to make J. Edgar Hoover cry.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:19 am

DurocShark wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:Yeah but did anyone notice that of the democrats up for reelection a high percentage voted in favor of the bill. Peace at any cost is not the answer.

Bill
Nah, they just know which way the winds are blowin'.

Bill

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:18 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

Bill
Nah, they just know which way the winds are blowin'.

Bill
No, it's because they are a bunch of spineless pussies that are afraid of being labeled weak on terror. What we need is good leadership and that's in short supply these days. I can't even believe that Hillary Clinton is a serious contender for the Democratic nod. Her candidacy would so polarize the populace as to almost insure another Republican President.

As in elections past, it always seems that the Democratic Party ultimately defeats the Democratic candidates. In the current social environment where who's going to win on American Idol is more important then the grave statistic that we've lost more men and women in Iraq then we did on September 11, 2001, reality seems far to complicated for people to try and understand. A majority of Americans STILL think there was a connection between Osama Bin Laden (remember him?), Saddam Hussein, and September 11, 2001.

For what it's worth, I will always refer to that date as September 11, 2001. "9/11" does an injustice to the profound and terrible nature of that dark day and is an affront to those who died and those who survived them. Can you imagine calling December 7, 1941 "12/7"?

Bob Dylan wrote a lyric in the song Masters of War that voiced the anger of an earlier generation.

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

Still stands true today.

So no, Bill, it's not that "they just know which way the winds are blowin'". But that is the easy answer that Americans feel good about thinking is the truth. Just because that's what's spoon fed to us doesn't mean we have to believe it. I sure as hell don't.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 am

Bill
I noticed the Dems voting in favor....
There are many Dems who also who have sold their soul to the devil,,,if there is one.

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:37 pm

[quote]Can you imagine calling December 7, 1941 "12/7"?

You make a VERY good point.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:07 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
I can't even believe that Hillary Clinton is a serious contender for the Democratic nod. Her candidacy would so polarize the populace as to almost insure another Republican President.
Maybe not. Look at what she has done for New York. Even in upstate bubba-redneck land, they are glad she is on their side.
It is the pundits, not the populace, that froths at the mouth. This is true in many other areas, talk to an Israeli citizen lately? Talk to a Palestinian citizen lately? They are much closer on issues than their spewing political leaders.

I think Americans are closer together than the media and politicos present. Where's the story if people are agreeing?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:28 pm

That is true....think about who benefits from division.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:
I can't even believe that Hillary Clinton is a serious contender for the Democratic nod. Her candidacy would so polarize the populace as to almost insure another Republican President.
Maybe not. Look at what she has done for New York. Even in upstate bubba-redneck land, they are glad she is on their side.
It is the pundits, not the populace, that froths at the mouth. This is true in many other areas, talk to an Israeli citizen lately? Talk to a Palestinian citizen lately? They are much closer on issues than their spewing political leaders.

I think Americans are closer together than the media and politicos present. Where's the story if people are agreeing?
Colin
Colin, I hope you're right. I just happen to know and work with people who have an unbelievable hatred for her. I think it all stems from the conservative view that a woman's place is in the home. A tremendous load of crap if you ask me, but an ideal that many on the right hold dear.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:08 pm

LiveonJG wrote: I just happen to know and work with people who have an unbelievable hatred for her. I think it all stems from the conservative view that a woman's place is in the home. A tremendous load of crap if you ask me, but an ideal that many on the right hold dear.
-John
(hardly an "ideal" if those dumb bastards suppress wages to the extent that women can't stay home if they wanted to)

Having experienced a load of hate in the not-too-distant past, I sense that it stems from structural character weaknesses that are inflamed in the presence of competence.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:53 pm

steve74baywin wrote: There are many Dems who also who have sold their soul to the devil,,,if there is one.
Just to make sure we're on the same page.... by "the devil," you mean Rumsfeld, right?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:44 am

Velokid1 wrote:
steve74baywin wrote: There are many Dems who also who have sold their soul to the devil,,,if there is one.
Just to make sure we're on the same page.... by "the devil," you mean Rumsfeld, right?
Refering to them voting in favor of the rich, or to stay rich over what is morally right