Big Box

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Big Box

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:50 pm

Has anyone out there been following this Big Box ordinance that passed and then was vetoed here in Chicago? What do you all think about this sort of minimum wage law?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Big Box

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:47 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Has anyone out there been following this Big Box ordinance that passed and then was vetoed here in Chicago? What do you all think about this sort of minimum wage law?
I like it. It is unconscienable that WalMart demands both tax concessions and throws its associates to the wolves as far as benefits and low wages.

If big business wants to cry like a baby about government throttling free enterprise then they can damn well stop extracting special considerations from same.

The arguement that WalMart will just move across the city limits and leave the downtown abandoned is specious. Pull the usual blanket tax concessions and then re-offer enterprise tax breaks for inner city location, sort of like New York's Enterprise Zones.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:36 am

It's not even just WalMart, although they're the biggest, Target and Lowes was in there with them. One of the Alderman suggested Mayor Daley give up his 200,000 dollar a year job and try to live on the 10 dollars and hour with 3 dollars per hour for benefits.(that's how much they would have gotten paid if the big box ordinance had passed)

They keep saying that any dollars an hour is better than no dollars an hour, but at 7 per hour, these people are going to be making 15 grand a year, plus no health benefits, and it's not like they aren't going to get sick, and who pays for that, that a nice hidden perk that we the taxpayers are giving to the Billionaire Walton family. They make me sick. So yes, there are poor desperate people that will work for 7 per hour, and they will remain poor and desperate.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 am

chitwnvw wrote: They keep saying that any dollars an hour is better than no dollars an hour.
Easy for them to say. Watch them howl in protest if they suddenly had to pay the corporate tax rate under Richard Nixon. "Hey guys, 11% is better than 27%, why don't you pony up and help the 'war effort'?"
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
chitwnvw wrote: They keep saying that any dollars an hour is better than no dollars an hour.
Easy for them to say. Watch them howl in protest if they suddenly had to pay the corporate tax rate under Richard Nixon. "Hey guys, 11% is better than 27%, why don't you pony up and help the 'war effort'?"
Colin
Good point Colin, but that's not the way we're heading right now. The current focus of our government is to remove restrictions and taxes on corporations. This policy is great for corporate America, just look at the record profits being reported. The real problem is what happens to the rest of us. We now have a permanent underclass, not very different from the serfs during the middle ages. Government, and I do mean both parties, has become an integrated part of this corporate strategy. Machiavelli realized that a docile populace can be maintained and controlled as long as basic needs are met, food, shelter, and entertainment. The Romans called this Bread and Circuses. Cheap unhealthy food is prevalent, shelter can often times be a problem, and what's more entertaining than television? (Sarcasm there) Well, two out of three aint bad. TV actually provides a nice one two punch. It keeps us in our homes, preventing us from interacting with others and finding out that most of us are in the same boat, and it gives us an excuse to eat more of the crappy food! Geeze, we're kind of like veal! The light at the end of the tunnel is that as any social or economic system turns top heavy, with wealth and power concentrated to fewer and fewer individuals, it will collapse. Problem is, it can take hundreds of years to happen.
Human nature is inherently strong, we trudge along an we ultimately persevere and win.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:14 pm

Wow, very eloquently put.
Shoot your TV! Ye Gods the more of that crap I watch the number I get...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 pm

I say let's start the revolution now!

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:07 am

hambone wrote:Wow, very eloquently put.
Shoot your TV! Ye Gods the more of that crap I watch the number I get...
Not like the internet is much better....

Myspace
Youtube
etc...

I think this is why my postcount is so high at the forums I frequent. Cuz there isn't much else out in this digital wasteland.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:25 am

I think I may be the youngest internet-savvy person in this country that has never used Myspace. :geek:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:22 am

I don't use it either, because I just don't give a crap what "Tommy" from "Orlando" is "in to".
The internet isn't a wasteland, it's our society's amassed knowledge. It's all a matter of where you point Rufus the Search Engine. There IS a lot of crap cluttering things up though...

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 pm

I suppose it's like lot of other things TV, Books, whatever, a lot of crap, mostly crap, but some really great things if you pick wisely.

daves_ale
Getting Hooked!

Post by daves_ale » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:17 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I suppose it's like lot of other things TV, Books, whatever, a lot of crap, mostly crap, but some really great things if you pick wisely.
Now the real challenge is to teach your children that. I've been trying real slow like to guide them away from the TV and comp. TO teach them the joy of books and (egads!) card games. Interaction and Communication.

We'll see what they can reap from the seeds that I've sown.

Although I have to admit: My girls love watching OG Star Trek (DVD seasons) and they like the new Dr. Who as well. But I only let them watch on DVD, still trying to cut down on the cable.
"beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". B. Franklin
'78 Westy
'78 DC
'65 21 window

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Things must always get worse before they can get better...
Shoot your TV! :blackeye:

daves_ale
Getting Hooked!

Post by daves_ale » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 pm

hambone wrote:Things must always get worse before they can get better...
Shoot your TV! :blackeye:
I would if I didn't like watching movies.

Back when I was married, we would blow 2~4 hours a night(at least) on the damn thing. When she moved out I had her take the TV from our bedroom w/ her. Best thing I ever did.

During the summer I'd let my oldest stay up late w/ me and we'd watch a movie together and then discuss it afterwards. Nothing crappy mind you, just good solid stuff. Indiana Jones, Skycaptin and the world of tomorrow, LOTR, King Kong, etc...

Moderation, like eating and drinking, is fine. But when you go overboard, that's when bad things happen. :pukeleft:
"beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". B. Franklin
'78 Westy
'78 DC
'65 21 window

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:57 pm

This is getting off topic. Walmart evil! City of Chicago sold out to the devil.

Good lord this country is being gutted, and everyone is watching these cop forensic shows. Sure they are well made, but come on!