This'll twist some knickers

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

This'll twist some knickers

Post by glasseye » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Coast to coast in 31 hours.

BMW M5, co-pilot has gyro-stabilized, night vision binoculars, multiple GPS, all the mod cons. Definitely not bus style travel.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/speed-record/a ... 310735.php

pix from the photo gallery.
http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/alexroyctoc/2844273
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Reminds me of "Cannonball Run", a movie favorite from my youth...Jackie Chan in the little Subaru-or-whatever with the night vision goggles and "Smokey Alarm" on the video display
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: This'll twist some knickers

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:01 pm

glasseye wrote:Coast to coast in 31 hours.

BMW M5
Here at 35*- 40* latitude, that would be an average speed of 106 mph to go coast to coast.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm

I made it from Sacramento to Oakland in under an hour once. I left my Final Project in my dad's Jeep, and my sister took the Jeep to Sac the night before it was due without telling me. Only thing to do was get it.

Other sister drove me to Sac in the morning, took about two hours. I now had one and a half hours to make it to Oakland, on the biggest freeway in NorCal in mid-morning traffic.

Did it, probably averaged 94MPH the whole way. With occasional speeds topping 105, but the speedo pegged @100mph.

Young and stupid, but young and stupid and on time. :geek:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Years ago I drove from Miami FL to Memphis TN in 15 hrs....At one point in N FL a guy a Cadillac pulled up beside me and gestured very angrily for me to pull over, I did until he got to my back bumper....Floored it,dumped the clutch and took off and never saw him again. I bet he was really pissed off after that. In a 72 240Z great car.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 am

Drove from Virginia to Chicago in 17 hours in a '66 Beetle with bad sychros does that count? Land-speed records must be relative that was one wild ride...had to keep it running at gas stations because the sick 6V wouldn't start it without a push-start. Fun!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

daninghram
Addicted!

Post by daninghram » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:13 am

we drove from Cheyene Wyoming to St J Vermont in 36 hours towing a vw rally golf. With snow and rain the whole way.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:31 am

Yikes that's a lonnnnnnnng drive.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:34 am

Death Valley to San Francisco in 10 hours in our 1972 bus (left at 4:30pm, were home by 2:30am). I think that's about 50 mph on average.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:03 am

About 4 years ago my wife and I were heading up to my parents in Wisconsin. It was raining in Illinois and we decided how bad could the weather get on a 4 hour drive. It started to ice near the Wi border but I thought we'll be fine. Near milwaukee changed to snow - then north of milwaukee turned into a whiteout averaging 20 - 25 miles per hour with super gusty winds. Long story short we continued to push on and when we finally made it there were 15" of snow on the ground and it took us 10 hours to get there - it was so dark you couldnt see the road and twice I almost took the off ramp on I43 because you couldnt see.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:17 pm

For those interested in a well-written account of the trip:

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/ma ... nonballrun

The average speed was about 87mph. Someone commented that they'd be more impressed if the figure was 87 mpg. I agree.

Still, guilty pleasures and excellent reading.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:52 pm

I googled my trip and it said Sac to Oak could take up to "2 1/2 hours in traffic"

ROTFL

I've personally seen it take 7 hours.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:58 pm

Best I ever did was Detroit to Seattle in two and a half days with eight hours of sleep each night taking I-80 most of the way. Probably not that stunning, but it was fairly difficult. Stayed mostly over 100mph from Iowa through Idaho. One night in Lincoln, one night outside of Boise.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:02 pm

You want speed / endurance records, check out the Hyder Seek 49ers, holders of Iron Butt Awards. At the hotel/bar in Hyder, AK there is a wall dedicated to those who have ridden a motorcycle through all 49 land-connected states in 10 days or less, for a total of about 11,000 miles.

The record holder made it under a week, including one 1600+ mile day.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:05 pm

DjEep wrote:I googled my trip and it said Sac to Oak could take up to "2 1/2 hours in traffic"

ROTFL

I've personally seen it take 7 hours.
Sonoma County to Incline Village, Nevada, on a Friday before President's Day weekend. We left Santa Rosa at 2 pm. We got to Incline about 1:30 am (for those unfamiliar, if traffic is light and weather is good, it's a 3.5 hour drive). There was a brief 20 minute stop in Fulton to drop our daughter off at grandma's. It poured from the time we left until we got to about Auburn--then it turned to snow. Boy was that a fun white knuckle drive.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI