Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
R.B.P. wrote:
4x4 wrote:You both sound like douch bags
You need to get hit upside the head with your username.
Ah yes, religion.
I remember watching a Jerry Springer show with a WVA hill-billy friend, and at the end of some screaming bitch-slap fest, I turned to him and said, "Jesus! If I was God I'd call it a day and send down an 80 day flood this time." With no change in expression or posture, he replied, "He Promised it was gonna be fire this time."
:toothy10: :toothy10:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:51 am

I don't think Religion is the cause of these wars, religion is used by the powers to be and it has been for 1000's of years. Kings, rulers and those rich who have taken there places today know they can use religion to have and control there huge armies..... They love to keep the people dumb and working hard, then they can trick them into a war,,some fight cause they think it is right, some cause they think it is patriotic, and some because it is a religous war,,,,religous my butt. The powers to be also know how easy it is to gain votes, today they just keep playing the gay right abortion card, tons of the Right Wing Christians pay very little attention to politics, untill they hear abortion or gay rights come up, then they flock to vote for the money hungry war mongering deceivers.
In fact, this is an interesting point, I had some advid Christians tell me not to worry about all this political stuff, it is Gods plan and there is nothing we can do,,,,,yet there preacher gets them to run to the polls so gays aren't given more rights and abortion laws will get overturned.....So for years it isn't worth any thought cause God is in control, then during election time I guess God isn't in control and they need to go out and vote so this counrty doesn't go to Satin, I feel so bad for them, I wish I could preach to them for days to unprogram them so they can live good, free lives once again...

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:16 am

Wouldn't religion be spectacular if people actually followed the tenets to a T? We'd all be singin in a circle....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:17 pm

steve74baywin wrote:I don't think Religion is the cause of these wars, religion is used by the powers to be and it has been for 1000's of years.
Good point, the root cause of any war is usually quite simple: the attempt to acquire greater power. Most religions make such a perfect tool because they provide all the answers to all those really difficult questions and in a concise and easy to understand way. Any other point of view is dismissed out of hand. It's even better if your enemy doesn't share your faith, then it's easier to de-humanize them. This opens the door up to torture and abuse... well they're going to go to hell anyway and don't forget they are heathens, infidels, etc.
hambone wrote:Wouldn't religion be spectacular if people actually followed the tenets to a T? We'd all be singin in a circle....
There's the root of it. Religions are not the true problem, it's the way they are used. Most religions provide guidelines on how we should live our lives and interact with our fellow travellers. We are told that if you follow those rules, the reward is a pleasant afterlife. Such an emphasis on death is not conducive to the betterment of life. In reality, the rewards can come every day as you positively interact with those around you.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:36 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
steve74baywin wrote:I don't think Religion is the cause of these wars, religion is used by the powers to be and it has been for 1000's of years.
Good point, the root cause of any war is usually quite simple: the attempt to acquire greater power. Most religions make such a perfect tool because they provide all the answers to all those really difficult questions and in a concise and easy to understand way. Any other point of view is dismissed out of hand. It's even better if your enemy doesn't share your faith, then it's easier to de-humanize them. This opens the door up to torture and abuse... well they're going to go to hell anyway and don't forget they are heathens, infidels, etc.
hambone wrote:Wouldn't religion be spectacular if people actually followed the tenets to a T? We'd all be singin in a circle....
There's the root of it. Religions are not the true problem, it's the way they are used. Most religions provide guidelines on how we should live our lives and interact with our fellow travelers. We are told that if you follow those rules, the reward is a pleasant afterlife. Such an emphasis on death is not conducive to the betterment of life. In reality, the rewards can come every day as you positively interact with those around you.
-John
Hambone and LiveonJG,,,
So true, so true