All you people that just registered!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:48 pm

I have to agree that breaking it down into "functional systems" will eliminate endless search time and weeding through topics that barely touch on the subject/question at hand. Comparable to something along the lines of Ratwell's FAQ's page Sticky is ideal. A complete list of problems and answers in one spot, except broken down into systems.
There are a couple of other sites that aren't broken down into specific models, but are oriented across the board as air-cooled VW sites. They are easily navigated and searches tend to go a little smoother.
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 pm

Sluggo wrote:
lovemybus wrote:Nice looking website. Wish you the best of luck.
The MyKin guys gave me one of your stickers when I helped them with their Bus. I'll be putting it on tomorrow.
Excellent Sluggo! Glad to hear that. Shoot me over a picture!

\:D/
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

busboy
I'm New!

Post by busboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Great ideas there Colin!
I've got a 1600, a 1200 and a type IV as well
I'd love to be able to access technical info at the click of a mouse. O:)
I like 'em Bay!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 am

I have a bus and a square and so many pieces are so similar. I really prefer to remove the barriers as well.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

rustybutterknife
I'm New!

Post by rustybutterknife » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:25 am

Just popping in to say Hi. I do also have a suggestion If someone could take all of the tech advice and put it into the form of wikipedia (see link below) that would be a good way to link processes together without loosing the origional intention of the writing like say while removing the rear brake drum inspect the star adjusters and have the word star adjusters linked to a page about thenm how to clean and adjust them that way people can develop their own walk thru based on their specific situation. Sorry to type so much but you get the idea. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:36 am

Shoot, I didn't post a while ago because I thought this was still in dev mode. 8-[

I need to find a good matching avatar for this site. . . \:D/

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 am

Hey all. Even though I do not own a bay, I own 4 other VWs and am a frequent contributor on The Samba and other yahoo VW forums. One day I will have to add a Bay to my collection. Today I own a 1960 Single Cab, 1973 Thing, 1989 Syncro Westy, and a 2001 TDI Beetle. So, somewhat of a VW nut. Went from zero VWs to now all VWs in the household other than one 4X4 Nissan Xterra. Now that I have the Syncro, maybe that will have to go also. \:D/

I posted in the Splittie and Vanagon groups but my guess, those forums will take some time to get populated as most folks so far seem to be Bay owners.

Just thought I would say hi and that I am aboard. Glad this forum opened.

I am located in Northern, California, about an hour from Sacramento up in the pretty foothills of California. Gold Rush territory. Anyone else here from around these parts?

Take it easy and everyone, enjoy this new site to it's fullist.

tj (the Amishman)

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:35 pm

rustybutterknife wrote:Just popping in to say Hi. I do also have a suggestion If someone could take all of the tech advice and put it into the form of wikipedia (see link below) that would be a good way to link processes together without loosing the origional intention of the writing like say while removing the rear brake drum inspect the star adjusters and have the word star adjusters linked to a page about thenm how to clean and adjust them that way people can develop their own walk thru based on their specific situation. Sorry to type so much but you get the idea. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

I think that's a fabulous idea.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:39 pm

Hey all. Just wanted to say hi, and thank you to Sluggo for making this all happen. I still do like The Samba, but I think this will feel more like home for us Bay Window folks. Looking foward to contrubiting as much as I can....and onward to the Arctic Circle!!!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

God's Grace
I'm New!

Post by God's Grace » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Forum looks good and should provide a livelier discussion than over at The Samba. That too, it still a great wealth of information. Looking forward to learning and discussing Bay's and life.

Don't be put off by the user name. Every breath I make is a gift and I relish each heartbeat. And for me, it is by God's grace. All of you are old enough to make your own choices and far be it from me to beat anyone over the head with my choice. I hate people pushing things down my throat, and I'm sure all of you do to. So here's to Bay's, air-cooled toys, life, and the next breath. Carpe Diem
1973 Westfalia

PDX_Hops
Getting Hooked!

Post by PDX_Hops » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:26 pm

Good luck with the new site, guys. Glad to have another link in my VW "favorites" folder!
'76 Westy Weekender- "Fran"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:39 pm

God's Grace wrote:
Every breath I make is a gift and I relish each heartbeat, it is by God's grace. So here's to Bay's, air-cooled toys, life, and the next breath. Carpe Diem
God and me have our moments, like that exhaust stud yesterday that just snapped right off. Sort of a one-way conversation, "LOOK! I know I am supposed to be challenged but this was not the moment!" Then the other exhast stud just slid out in a spray of old JBWeld. Thanks God 8-[
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...exhast stud just slid out in a spray of old JBWeld. Thanks God 8-[
Colin
Oh! Just remembered I JB'd a nut to an exhaust stud in an effort to get it out, better go check on it...

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:31 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:...exhast stud just slid out in a spray of old JBWeld. Thanks God 8-[
Colin
Oh! Just remembered I JB'd a nut to an exhaust stud in an effort to get it out, better go check on it...

Chitwn, if the stud turns just a little, just wiggle it back and forth a wee bit at a time going a little looser every couple of wiggles. Use plenty of penetrant ( WD40 is not a penetrant) and don't get greedy and try to go 1/4 turn, just a little at a time.
I hope it works, but I got to tell you, Ive tried welding a nut to to those damn studs and even with the heat from welding the aluminum just doesn't want to let go of them. You will probably have to drill and tap. so if the JBwelded nut just snaps the stud thats ok 'cause it's easier the flusher the broken stud is to the head.

Good luck, Bill

texabus
I'm New!

Post by texabus » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:11 pm

Good vibes here!