Site commentary

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Site commentary

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am

I must say, I like the look of the new site. Very clean.
However, I don't like the drawing of the chick/lopsided bus. Mebbe it's just temporary? It's not a good representation of Colin's work (in my humble opinion), just looks like a quick sketch. And what the hell is that dog doing????
I'd like something more along the lines of Santa stealing the bus. For the frontispiece of the entire site, the primary graphic should be very bold and clean.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Site commentary

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:32 am

hambone wrote:I must say, I like the look of the new site. Very clean.
However, I don't like the drawing of the chick/lopsided bus. Mebbe it's just temporary? It's not a good representation of Colin's work (in my humble opinion), just looks like a quick sketch. And what the hell is that dog doing????
I'd like something more along the lines of Santa stealing the bus. For the frontispiece of the entire site, the primary graphic should be very bold and clean.
Thank-you and welcome. Sluggo is valiantly trying to put things together with his rag-tag collection of whatever art is in his computer. My collection is safely trapped on a hard drive that I cannot yet access on the road.

But while we are here, the above lop-sided illustration has a certain ring of honesty to it. It is not glossy professional, that's for sure. It has no pretensions of slick, it is a slightly disgruntled moment. I cringe at my lack of artistic ability(seriously, never went to school to learn how to draw) but when I look at other sites devoted to VWs, this picture somehow communicates the flavor of life with old VWs. . . for now.

When I get to L.A. Sluggo and I are going to see what's to be done. I am working on a site logo right now. . . with only a Bic pen. My art supplies are in storage in Atlanta.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:34 am

That's funny! I was wondering what that damn dog was doing too!! I just didn't want to be the first to ask.
I liked the design that was up right before the shutdown. The one 77_Bus_Girl did. Very nice work. Clean lines and very simple.

Steve
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:I am working on a site logo right now. . . with only a Bic pen. My art supplies are in storage in Atlanta.
Colin
My Wife has lot's of art supplies you can use to smooth anything out when you're here. She's goona try and do some pictures too. I say try beacuse most of her art is music, sex or violence related. Very twisted girl.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Sluggo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I am working on a site logo right now. . . with only a Bic pen. My art supplies are in storage in Atlanta.
Colin
My Wife has lot's of art supplies you can use to smooth anything out when you're here. She's gonna try and do some pictures too. I say try because most of her art is music, sex or violence related. Very twisted girl.
She but mirrors the culture we live in. Good. I need feedback on this latest tamed down art in the book which you will be seeing. It still unsettles people for reasons that always begin with Assumptions About Motives that say more about their perceptions than my motives.

Will I have an artist's coordination when I arrive, I don't think so. Wrench-twisting is hell on fine motor skills.
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 am

Colin I truly hope you follow your artistic heart with a Logo for this site. I agree with Hambone with the humor of the Santa steeling the Bus but know that was for an other time. How about a all inclussive of bug - bus- and van - and all the diff models ie squar, notch,gia , porch and all air cooled in a line . Know my spelling is fractured but hope you get the idea . Would look great on t-shirt and make us all the same and very wanted, please consider this. Barb

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:59 am

Elwood wrote:Colin I truly hope you follow your artistic heart with a Logo for this site. I agree with Hambone with the humor of the Santa steeling the Bus but know that was for an other time. How about a all inclussive of bug - bus- and van - and all the diff models ie squar, notch,gia , porch and all air cooled in a line . Know my spelling is fractured but hope you get the idea . Would look great on t-shirt and make us all the same and very wanted, please consider this. Barb
Will be considered for sure. Will not be a tidy little VW group portrait however. The logo has much to communicate as far as the spirit of the place. Ideas welcome, but I have to qualify and say "written ideas" so I can translate into art.
Colin

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:11 am

Has there been any discussion towards premium memberships to this site. I don't know what costs there are but I didn't think bandwidth was free.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 am

Colin I truly hope you follow your artistic heart with a Logo for this site
I agree...any attempts to mollify the masses or tame the product so as not to offend.....it just ends up diluted and mediocre
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Bob Lablaw
I'm New!

Post by Bob Lablaw » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:09 am

RussellK wrote:Has there been any discussion towards premium memberships to this site. I don't know what costs there are but I didn't think bandwidth was free.
Running a small forum is very affordable. Eventually, when your classifieds section, gallery, and technical reference sections get huge, bandwidth costs will skyrocket. Until then, the occasional donation should cover the costs of running this site. Covering the time it takes to create, moderate, and maintain an active forum is something else, of course. Congratulations on your work so far.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:34 pm

Bob Lablaw wrote:
RussellK wrote:Has there been any discussion towards premium memberships to this site. I don't know what costs there are but I didn't think bandwidth was free.
Running a small forum is very affordable. Eventually, when your classifieds section, gallery, and technical reference sections get huge, bandwidth costs will skyrocket. Until then, the occasional donation should cover the costs of running this site. Covering the time it takes to create, moderate, and maintain an active forum is something else, of course. Congratulations on your work so far.
Thanks! Colin & I will be discussing donations & merchandise when he arrives. And you're right. For the moment, time far outweighs cost. Anyone notice the new Tech Article section in the navigation menu. It goes to a Coming Soon page now. But will be full of useful information next month.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:53 pm

Good stuff! I'm surprised how quickly this all came together. Just one question: what is a stinkfoot and am I one? I'm a little worried truthfully. Ok I dreadfully worried. Crap! Crap crap CRAP!
Hee. I'm tired ok? But I'm going home now to hear the new Bob Dylan record. :drunken:

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:23 pm

Just bought the new Rolling Stone and Bob Dylan is on "The cover of the Rolling Stone" :flower: couldn't resist! I think I was called a stinkfoot a few times but it is just a stupid kid thing.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 am

I think it has to do with hippies but is being tossed at anyone that's a little out of the box. Every time I see it I crack up. We have air cooled for a hobby. How normal is that?

BTW How about a review of that new Dylan. I heard a couple of short clips and they sounded a lot like Love & Theft. Do I spend the $

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:10 am

RussellK wrote: I think it has to do with hippies but is being tossed at anyone that's a little out of the box. Every time I see it I crack up. We have air cooled for a hobby. How normal is that?
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Colin
(and if I ever do end up in the box, just shoot me)