Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Yes or no. Reasons welcome. Hopefully we will have more than six responses . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

locoqueso
Addicted!

Re: Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court

Post by locoqueso » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I haven't kept up with all of the details, but I have to say No. I think his responses to the Ford allegations seem weak. At the very least, you have to err on the side of caution for this role. I'd rather have an open seat on the court than select the wrong person.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Would I want this guy sitting on the Supreme Court bench? unequivocally no. That said, looking at this specific situation very myopically, and a very cliff notes version (it's gettin' late here..)

- Did he do it? I'd say yes. Regardless of the specific details, she was severely traumatized.
- Should it be used against him since this happened when he was a juvenile nearly 40 years ago? That, folks, is the real question.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 pm

His lack of care in his responses during the judiciary hearing last month earns a “no” from me. I did not witness a single answer from BK to Senator Harris’ questions.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 am

His angry Trump like responses to questions shows he is not qualified to be in the Supreme Court. Besides, who keeps a high school calendar with notes on it to offer a proof of his innocent? Does it matter this happened 40 years ago? Yes, after listening to Ford.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 am
His angry Trump like responses to questions shows he is not qualified to be in the Supreme Court. Besides, who keeps a high school calendar with notes on it to offer a proof of his innocent? Does it matter this happened 40 years ago? Yes, after listening to Ford.
Exactly my thoughts! A yearbook I can see keeping, but a calendar?

His crying and lashing out yesterday makes me think he's not fit for the position. How the democrats went about this whole thing is plain wrong as well.

Yesterday was further proof that term limits need to be implemented. Quickly.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:37 pm

I watched it too. He clearly avoided several questions. Ford did not. I’d like a Supreme Court Judge to answer all the questions asked and he didn’t.
I have calendars that I have kept over the years from my early days of camping in the bus and windsurfing. I kept a loose tally of the windy days etc, like a journal. I would never put anything incriminating in them. In fact there are a few entries that are coded so only I know what it meant. But the point is there is a lot more that happened in my summers that I didn’t put in the calendars than what I did put in them.
Why do I still have them? I don’t know but I have boxes of crap from my whole life around here. Lol!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I am amazingly appalled at the devolution of our politics. I am gob-smacked at the sheer hypocrisy of this circus. I remember Mitch McConnell piously declaring that the Merrick Garland nomination had to be held up for over eight months (for no real reason). We have Grassley on film declaring that Clarence Thomas needed a FBI investigation to help clear his name after the Anita Hill allegations. So why not now, Chuck? Now we have to rush this one through with all of these questions?

NO! Democrats are NOT clutching their pearls over his behavior (which, if true, is repulsive)! They are upset because the republicans are NOT performing their due diligence which would indeed include a FBI investigation, and they are upset at this rush rush rush. It is transparent, this hypocrisy, this rank hypocrisy. I am appalled.

On a strictly personal level, I understand perfectly why victims of sexual abuse may take decades to find their courage, their dignity, their voice.
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Here's a question; does anyone know anyone who's mind was changed by this shit-show?

Those who were opposed from the start added it to the ledger and had their hatred burn brighter. Those who were supportive look at Schumer's statement on the day the nomination was announced to fight it "with everything I have", and view this as simple political filth.

The sad thing is, by politicizing and weaponizing the MeToo movement, the Democrats have damaged it. If this man is not destroyed by hazy, uncorroborated (and refuted) accusations from three decades ago, many women may be dissuaded from coming forward.

Me? I believe she believes what she believes. Something happened to her. With all the lurid detail, I would be with her and against Kavanaugh if she could simply remember the detail of who's house it was, and how she got home.

The bravest person in all this is Leland Keyser. She was put on the spot by Ford, and I'm sure felt tremendous pressure to support her friend. Her corroboration would have been enough to sink Kavanaugh. But under penalty of felony, she told the truth as she knew it.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... avanaugh-/
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 pm
Here's a question; does anyone know anyone who's mind was changed by this shit-show?
Those who were opposed from the start added it to the ledger and had their hatred burn brighter.

A) Those who were supportive look at Schumer's statement on the day the nomination was announced to fight it "with everything I have", and view this as simple political filth.

B) The sad thing is, by politicizing and weaponizing the MeToo movement, the Democrats have damaged it. If this man is not destroyed by hazy, uncorroborated (and refuted) accusations from three decades ago, many women may be dissuaded from coming forward.

C) Me? I believe she believes what she believes. Something happened to her. With all the lurid detail, I would be with her and against Kavanaugh if she could simply remember the detail of who's house it was, and how she got home.

The biggest disqualifier for me was apparent before the allegations. I did not appreciate Kavanaugh's behavior in the Bush White House, and I still do not appreciate his lying in front of Congress.

a) Schumer was merely representing his constiuents who demanded that he bear down on the "McConnell Rule". Do you know the McConnell Rule, Don? That, THAT was political filth and treasonous too.

b) how did Democrats politicize and weaponize the Me Too movement? Republican men ONCE AGAIN have attempted to ignore and sweep under the rug allegations made by women. That makes many of us upset. Duh. That is not weaponizing. If Kavanaugh were of the character and sober comportment of a Merrick Garland whose yearbook is all you need to know to dismiss Kavanaugh as just another meathead frat boy idiot like Trump (in the same way that Merrick Garland shares the intellect and gravitas of Barack Obama), we wouldn't be having this sordid conversation.

c) you believe what she believes. Let's get beyond believing. When you are traumatized, you may very well record the moment, the sensations, the immediate particulars (if you do not disassociate for a couple of decades), but you can completely crash-lose the context. Try this Don, go get in a head-on crash that knocks you out. I promise you, there are many people who could not tell you what day it was, what time it was, how they got to the hospital, who hit them, you just have no idea. To watch the Washington Examiner and Fox News pounce on these straw arguments about Ford's recall makes me ill.
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Right. Your hatred burns brighter.

Forget the Washington Examiner, that's just what Google showed when searching for Leland Kaiser. Democrat-owned outlets bury it, so don't appear in the search. That is her statement to the FBI, pure and simple, irrespective of media source.

I've been in crashes and have undergone trauma, so do appreciate that trauma can impact memory. That doesn't mean you should fill in those memory gaps with something you'd like to fill them in with. They are just gaps, unless some other evidence is available.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm
A) Right. Your hatred burns brighter.

Forget the Washington Examiner, that's just what Google showed when searching for Leland Kaiser. Democrat-owned outlets bury it, so don't appear in the search. That is her statement to the FBI, pure and simple, irrespective of media source.

B) I've been in crashes and have undergone trauma, so do appreciate that trauma can impact memory. That doesn't mean you should fill in those memory gaps with something you'd like to fill them in with.

a) I fully support what I hate. I hate stupidity, shoddiness, boorishness, fakery, hypocrisy, creeps, liars, ignoramuses, and this is the season for all of those things. My hatred burns brighter because I cannot believe the likes of Trump, McConnell, Manafort, Cohen, Graham, Nunes, Moore, Ryan, Scott, Gohmert, the list is endless. The destruction of our institutions and relationships by these grifters, thugs, cheats, narcissists and cowards, stuns me.

b) I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that Ford is filling in the gaps? Or "Bart" and his occasional pukefests after drinking beer?
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 pm

"politicizing and weaponizing the MeToo movement, the Democrats have damaged it."

Tripe. This is democracy. Too bad you don't like it.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 am

Trauma sticks in your mind like glue, as I know well for the last 3 weeks. I had to preform CPR on a friend who died in front of us for 10 mins until the medics arrived. Yes, they got him breathing and his heatbeat again but after 5 days his wife pulled the plug on him in ICU. In the middle of every night I wake up with the image of his purple face so I can see how Ford still remembers the laughter of Brett and Mark....Remember she was the victim here and so are other women as they suffer sexual assault way more than any men suffer.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:13 am

Kavanaugh is in. Like the Clarence Thomas nomination, republicans have once again sullied the Supreme Court in the name of painfully small-minded political machinations.

Susan Collins tweeted of ex-Senator Al Franken,
“Sexual harassment and assault have no place in any workplace. The reports involving Senator Franken are disturbing.
His belated apology was certainly warranted.”
A stupid picture of Al Franken pantomiming touching a sleeping soldier's breasts are cause to call for the resignation of a US Senator.
But perjury, hidden documentation, excessive drinking, more than one sexual assault, and the very most belligerent display of an entitlement tantrum in front of the Judiciary Committee are qualities you accept in a Supreme Court Justice.
You and your colleagues, Susan, are beneath contempt.

We The People seriously have to wake up and inform ourselves of how this country is supposed to work and we need to teach our children, regardless of what is happening in our schools' civics education. I will say this of my parents, they engaged their six kids in political discussion and demanded that we participate only from a position of being well-informed.

This confirmation has been a travesty, and the people crowing most loudly this morning are truly the least-informed as to the very real damage. Oh, and Merrick Garland.
Colin