Colin, like the patriotic touch ...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Colin, like the patriotic touch ...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Of the new banner / art work. Wish more ahem, left leaning folks would do the same.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

zabo
Old School!

Re: Colin, like the patriotic touch ...

Post by zabo » Fri May 04, 2018 7:12 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm
Wish more ahem, left leaning folks would do the same.
I dont even understand this comment- left leaning folks aren't patriotic?
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri May 04, 2018 9:10 am

Some left leaning folks have a much firmer grip on democratic values than any other political orientation. I served my country in the armed forces, and I’m looking at all these drafted deferred ichabods wrapping themselves in the flag. Pisses me off!

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri May 04, 2018 3:41 pm

zabo wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:12 am
Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm
Wish more ahem, left leaning folks would do the same.
I dont even understand this comment- left leaning folks aren't patriotic?
I should have been more clear: Left leaning folks are just as patriotic...they typically just don't DISPLAY it as much (unless of course, you are at a Democratic rally), or as mentioned in the other post, are associated with anti patriotism (e.g disrespectful to the flag).

For example, there is a right wing radio station in the Detroit area called 'the patriot'. I had not come across it before until yesterday when I was in the car and saw the call letters/name on the radio dial. Before my mind could focus in on the conversation, I was pretty sure it was going to be right leaning. Sure enough after listening to 20 seconds of it, it was very evident.

I would say that there is a PERCEPTION that the right wing is more patriotic, I say it is high time that the left side counter that perception, even if is something as simple as having a red white and blue banner page.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Sounds like you're describing Jingoism and nationalism rather than Patriotism. They are, on occasion, mixed up with patriotism by some overly enthusiastic flag wavers.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun May 06, 2018 6:19 pm

tommu wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 pm
Sounds like you're describing Jingoism and nationalism rather than Patriotism. They are, on occasion, mixed up with patriotism by some overly enthusiastic flag wavers.
Agreed. But I can tell you that sometimes the "sizzle" is as important as the "steak". A little flag waiving vs. flag wearing can go along way towards displaying / showing that there is as much love/care/concern as the right.

Let me ask the question this way .... is anyone offended that the logo is red white and blue? If so, why?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Sun May 06, 2018 6:19 pm
Let me ask the question this way .... is anyone offended that the logo is red white and blue? If so, why?

I am. Deeply offended. When I drew that thing, (I have the original) it was amber waves of grain gold at the bottom and a nice sky blue at the top. Now look at it. It is ruined. Countless tips through Paint.Net.

But now that you bring up the patriotic angle, allow me to aim, lock, load, and shoot. Or is it lock, load, shoot, aim?

Anyways, my patriotism is, as Jivermo alluded to, quite a bit below the surface trappings. I have seen lapel pins worn by people I consider to be antithetical to the values of this country. I have seen smug killers of thousands with their hands over their heart pledging allegiance. I have seen huge American flags waving in the yards of avowed racists. The easy display of "patriotism" is so easy, that I give it no stock.

When an American can name the Supreme Court Justices, or speak of the Texas vs Johnson decision of 1989, or Plessy vs Ferguson and Brown vs Board of Education decisions, or parse the Second Amendment in a meaningful way, then I warm up to that citizen who is showing some signs of mental life and intellectual curiosity and comprehension of this great gift of participatory democracy. Sitting in your back yard with a beer discussing issues is "yuuuuge" in my book.

I helped to ensure that the American flag at the camp I worked at was raised to the Call To Colors every morning and was lowered to Retreat and folded and handled in strict accordance with our norms. It was so good to see kids forced into a reverence that they then adopted. Happened to me too. Nowadays, I see a parade of egos mangle the anthem at billionaire-hosted sporting events in ever more grotesque displays of ego.

We seriously have to re-focus on distilling the reality of this great country from the truckloads of sheer bullshit that are suffocating her...
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles