RIP Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

RIP Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:36 pm

We have lost an intellectual lion on the conservative side of the spectrum, what ever shall I do for a challenging defense of the indefensible?
Money is Free Speech.
The Constitution is NOT a Living Document.

Scalia was well-loved by his staff at the Supreme Court, his abundant sense of humor was noted, as well as his readiness to mentor the clerks and interns in the Ways of Life as well as the ways and wherefores of the Law.

I watched his interview with Piers Morgan (maddening, that guy) and saw an intellect coil up in frustration at his plodding interlocutor. Man, I wish I was there in Morgan's place. I would have been ready for Antonin Scalia's rationalization for the Citizen's United ruling, man . . . .

Obama rightfully chased down a podium post haste to remind the country that as current sitting President, he will proffer a nominee to replace Scalia, and he expects the Senate to vote up or down.

The republicans in Congress wrongfully declared declared! that any nominee would get locked up in the Senate until Obama is out of office. This is yet another illumination of the wretched obstructionism of these republicans. When somebody pointed out to Jeff Sessions (R-AL) that Reagan nominated Justice Kennedy as a lame duck, he childishly and peevishly replied, "Obama has already selected two justices, it is time for the American people to have a say."
Well, the American people already decided their say by electing Obama twice, and he is still President.

The Nation's business, the load court dockets, must go on.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: RIP Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:41 am

Obama should go ahead and name one during this Senate recess and be over it. This is something the GOP would do in a heartbeat....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Obama should go ahead and name one during this Senate recess and be over it. This is something the GOP would do in a heartbeat....
The ironic thing is that with only eight justices on the court, only three are habitually conservative. Therefore the court is already left-leaning.

How would this play out? Conceivably, the GOP will approve no justices. November rolls around. Not only do they not regain the White House, but they lose the Senate, too. President Sanders/Clinton appoints a new Justice: a scholar on constitutional law named Barack Obama. And the GOP brought it on themselves by obstructing any other nomination.

We can hope.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:05 pm

I like JLT's line of thought.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:15 am

I like that scenario......make it happen. Gosh, first decision is to strike down Citizen United, next the Hobby Lobby decision on it would go.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Hotpants
I'm New!

Post by Hotpants » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:58 pm

He should have had an autopsy. State law is pretty straightforward and specific in these situations.

I can't believe people think they are above the law or can "get around" the law due to unusual circumstances. I bet he was banging a high priced hooker and had a myocardial infarction. Damn coverup if up ask me.
1969 Double Bubble
*Double Cab*

I once hauled several yards of landscape rock in the back of my DoubleCab to a construction site. Best Delivery Ever.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 am

That was my first thought Hotpants. Suicide by hot hooker. I think there was an autopsy. But results beyond "natural causes" haven't surfaced yet. A heart attack at the throes of sexual ecstasy certainly qualify as dying of natural causes. Of course his death certainly has fueled the far right to claim Obama murdered him. No surprise there.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:25 pm

ruckman101 wrote:That was my first thought Hotpants. Suicide by hot hooker. I think there was an autopsy. But results beyond "natural causes" haven't surfaced yet. A heart attack at the throes of sexual ecstasy certainly qualify as dying of natural causes. Of course his death certainly has fueled the far right to claim Obama murdered him. No surprise there.

neal
No autopsy . . . just a phone certification. Strange.

Hey meanwhile, Ronald Reagan Himself . . .
January 19, 1988:

In the year ahead, we're not going to be on the defensive, shoring up problems and answering our critics. We are moving forward, and I have no doubt that when we look back 1988 will be a year of great accomplishment toward our goals. This is the year when Judge Anthony Kennedy will be confirmed and the Supreme Court will again be brought up to full strength. The Federal judiciary is too important to be made a political football. I would hope, and the American people should expect, not only for Judge Kennedy's confirmation but for the Senate to get to work and act on 27 other judicial nominations that have been left in limbo for quite awhile now.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles