IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Arguments for God

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Spezialist wrote:
Spezialist wrote:Gen. 3:3 everything after is man negotiating with G0D

Edit.
Man negotiating with a book.
Please . . . tell us more. Cryptic works best in the vast halls of its author's own mind. The rest of us need to be brought up to speed.
King James
Genesis 3.3
"But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."
American Dumbdown Commentary
3:1-5 "Satan assaulted our first parents, to draw them to sin, and the temptation proved fatal to them. The tempter was the devil, in the shape and likeness of a serpent. Satan's plan was to draw our first parents to sin, and so to separate between them and their God. Thus the devil was from the beginning a murderer, and the great mischief maker. "
I see it differently.
The word "sin" in its original iteration meant "to separate" or "to be separated". Original Sin, therefore is more of a descriptive state of being separated from your mother's womb at birth. I don't see the perjorative aspect of "sin" in this view.

So the big fall in the garden can be also interpreted in a more balanced nuanced way. If you become Aware, you will become aware of death. You will live with an understanding that you die. You will become aware of the exertions of staying alive "working by the sweat of your brow". You will be aware of childbirth, the pain solely borne by the woman while the guy gets a pass, that's an awareness we are still working out in 2014.

Who but punitive old religion hawkers think that God did not want to bring us into Awareness?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 am

Spezialist wrote:Gen. 3:3 everything after is man negotiating with G0D

Wow, well said! I never thought of it that way... great food for thought! :cyclopsani:
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 am

Also I started to read a book called "misquoting Jesus" last time I visited Germany and it was partially about the process of reproducing the the bible back then for distribution. Specifically who did it and how they chose the people to make copys for other religious teachers and the pitfalls associated with the errors by the scribes both purposeful by the people in charge of the copy process and the clerical ones that were not caught as the copy was made. FANTASTIC READ....
Just the section on that and the massive impact it had on areas regionally that were waiting for their one book used in the village church was incredible to read in the tiny Bavarian village just yards from an ancient church hearing the 1/4 hour bells ring out. I mistakenly packed up it in the items I store in my friends house to reduce luggage between trips (more room to bring back regional beer that way) and did not discover I left it till I was on the plane.
I look forward to going back and finishing it soon. The irony alone that my book of printed text (vs hand-copied text as discussed here) was left behind and I have to try to remember what it said versus having a good reliable reference makes the concept of really understanding "The Word" fun for me to think about...
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."