How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich (RollingStone.com)

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich (RollingStone.com)

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 pm

This story is very good. Very broad, very deep. Just about as non-partisan as you can get with a story that's basically describing a series of events that can be blamed on the neo-Cons. By which I mean, in the story both liberals and conservatives are quoted as pointing the finger at the "new" Republican party.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... h-20111109

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich (RollingStone.c

Post by glasseye » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 am

Uh, what is the sound of one hand clapping? :pale:

Did anybody read this? It's long, yes, but you really, really need to read this. Really.
At least read the accompanying timeline that provides a briefer overview.

Why is most of America so willfully ignorant of this stuff?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 am

Because the powers that be are playing us like fiddles. All of us.

Any by the way, mi amigo, I'd love if you had written, "Why are most people so willfully ignorant..." It sure isn't America alone. The very same muddling of thoughts and issues that allows this stuff to perpetuate is also at work when we draw lines between the citizens of one country and those of another. Especially evident given the state of politics in Canada at the moment, right?

We really are so consumed with the bar fight we're in with our friends and neighbors that we never stop to look up and see the fat cats who are sitting at the bar drinking expensive whiskey, watching us and laughing, placing their bets on which one of us is going to walk out with the fewest cuts and bruises.

We need to raise our heads, dust ourselves off and go ask those gentleman some really important questions.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Velokid1 wrote:
Any by the way, mi amigo, I'd love if you had written, "Why are most people so willfully ignorant..." It sure isn't America alone. The very same muddling of thoughts and issues that allows this stuff to perpetuate is also at work when we draw lines between the citizens of one country and those of another. Especially evident given the state of politics in Canada
Absolutely. I stand corrected.

EDIT: While Canada could certainly proceed slowly down the same path, our banking regulations make it unlikely that we'd ever see a catastrophe similar to what we're witnessing south of us.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:41 pm

This pretty much sums it up:

"Translated into wages, that means most Americans have received a raise of $1.50 an hour since the GOP began cutting taxes during the Gingrich era. The most elite sliver of American society, meanwhile, saw their pay soar by $10,000 an hour."

Sigh.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm

glasseye wrote: Did anybody read this?
I read it. Then I read the comments ...... :pale:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Well shit, when it comes to huge banks doing hugely stupid things, how could any country compete with America? That would be like expecting a guy with a box of sharp pencils to go on a rampage at the mall and kill as many people as a guy with a machine gun.

Im speaking mOre to willful ignorance and a populace allowing things to happen that are imminently harmful to them. Such as allowing Harper to run roughshod over the nation. None of us are immune to the human condition.

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am

Very good article. Well written, acurate chronology of events. I really do wish we (as a nation) could get past this "us vs them" mentality and realize we're all in it together - Making doing what's right for the country and not just the individual a realistic concept.
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI