Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Re: 999

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 am

Are the current deductions/loopholes impeding startups? I keep hearing that the tax code is complex but is it? Four years ago I fired my CPA who had me convinced me how complex this thing was. I bought a software package for $99 and started doing it myself for both the business and personal returns. Could it be even simpler? Sure. And it's true I'm not GE but doesn't the same code apply to everyone?

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 am

What's stiffling startups, IMO, is the $1200 a month health insurance you suddenly have to pay yourself.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:46 am

Hippie wrote:What's stiffling startups, IMO, is the $1200 a month health insurance you suddenly have to pay yourself.
Amen to that. Almost everyone I know that is in business for themselves has a spouse covering them on a group plan somewhere.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:12 am

Hippie wrote:What's stiffling startups, IMO, is the $1200 a month health insurance you suddenly have to pay yourself.

Agreed.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 am

Sylvester wrote:Never happen. If he gets elected president he will never get this off the ground, period.
Tinkerbell could be elected president on the promise of magical pixie dust flying for every man, woman and child in the US, but the people really pulling the strings ($$$) would just rip her wings off and tell her to play their status quo. POTUS has zero power to do anything except read from a teleprompter. Obama. Hope. Change. Promises. Bah. Whatevs prompter man talking head. I lost my last ounce of respect for him when he caved on the whole Monsanto alfalfa/soybean/roundup/GMO food thing with Tom Vilsack (who went to the same high school I did... what an embarrassment to that school). Anyway... I expect zero change in 2012 regardless of who is elected.

Tinkerbell 2012™ :sunny:

I feel so jaded right now... :blah5:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:32 am

BumbleBus wrote:... I expect zero change in 2012 regardless of who is elected.
Pretty much true.
We suffered Vilsack (the sac, or ball-sac, as I called him) as a do nothing govenor in Iowa.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 am

RussellK wrote:Are the current deductions/loopholes impeding startups?
I don't know, now that I think about it further maybe you're right.

I still think that the plan has great ideas. I think that it would encourage saving and investing over spending and borrowing. I like that for a change.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 am

Being cash poor impedes saving and encourages borrowing. I'd like to see more people saving, investing and living debt free too. How does the Cain plan address that.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:18 am

RussellK wrote:Being cash poor impedes saving and encourages borrowing. I'd like to see more people saving, investing and living debt free too. How does the Cain plan address that.
add a 9% sales tax to everything and you will start to think twice before buying any big ticket items. you'll have to save up to pay for food. clothing, utilities, etc, etc....
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:54 am

vdubyah73 wrote:
RussellK wrote:Being cash poor impedes saving and encourages borrowing. I'd like to see more people saving, investing and living debt free too. How does the Cain plan address that.
add a 9% sales tax to everything and you will start to think twice before buying any big ticket items. you'll have to save up to pay for food. clothing, utilities, etc, etc....
Whenever they talk about a flat tax locally they say necessary items like food, medicine & clothing will be exempt and there is an income threshold that if a taxpayer falls below exempts them from sales tax. The middle class will take the real hit on this. Can you imagine the tax bill on a washer dryer purchase? Or a car?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey maybe they could tax on imported goods from China?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Sylvester wrote:Hey maybe they could tax on imported goods from China?
i dont think the Chinese would like that...they need our buying power to remain stable..after all, thats why they are bankrolling our crumbling empire.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."