This'll twist some knickers

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:08 pm

DjEep wrote:... holders of Iron Butt Awards...including one 1600+ mile day.
I'm not sure if Iron Butt is quite correct for that feat. I'd say something more like the Numb Nuts or Impotent for a Week Award would be more appropriate. :blackeye:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:17 pm

1968. I was 15. I was sitting in the local pizza joint with three friends, who were 16, 17 and 18, deciding what to do during the summer. One person suggested driving to Alaska.

8017 miles from San Diego to Fairbanks and back. In 13 days. Including over 2000 miles of gravel road. Average of 617 miles a day. Three of the days were layovers with no travel, so we actually did the trip in 10 days of driving. We did 5 stretches of over 24 hours straight. Drive-sleep-bathroom-occasionally eat.

Car was a 62 Chevy with a 283, powerglide and no seat belts. Lost the entire exhaust northbound through the Yukon due to gravel. Replaced it in Seattle on the way back.

Ah, youth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

OB Bus wrote:
Ah, youth.
And don't forget love.

1987, after visiting my old girlfriend from 5/6/7/8th grade + post-college,
1978 BMW 530i (my favorite cross-country car when in a hurry)

Left Newtown Connecticut, at 5PM.
Stayed in Shamrock Texas next day 8:00PM to 8:00AM
Drove from Shamrock Texas to L.A. arriving 8:30AM day after.

Around Arizona I was hallucinating tarantulas crawling on the dashboard.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote: And don't forget love.

1987, after visiting my old girlfriend from 5/6/7/8th grade + post-college,
1978 BMW 530i (my favorite cross-country car when in a hurry)

Left Newtown Connecticut, at 5PM.
Stayed in Shamrock Texas next day 8:00PM to 8:00AM
Drove from Shamrock Texas to L.A. arriving 8:30AM day after.

Around Arizona I was hallucinating tarantulas crawling on the dashboard.
Colin

Wow. Newtown CT? I grew up in Danbury. My mom still works at Dental Associates in Newtown..don't know if that means anything to ya..

Small world, it is..
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm

Man, I have driven or been a rider/driver in way too many long distance treks that seemed to time warp, I gave up trying to make sense of it. Maybe it was the space time continuum compressed or just good smoke? Probably all of the above!

I can remember Charlotte, NC to Shreveport, LA in 18hrs including being lost for what felt like an endless (and hellish) amount of time on the hills in Shreveport, something like 2hrs or more.

I also remember driving to work with a co-worker during continuous shifts of long duration. We both saw grey men running in front of the vehicle while we were driving looked at each other at the same moment and said, "Didjajustseethosegreymenrunninginfrontofthecar??????" FREAKY! A DUAL Hallucination that was! :colors: :colors:

I just remembered driving from visiting friends in San Fran back to Culver City in very dense fog all the way back in a yellow autostick bug. Part of the way we drove with the window rolled down following the lines in the road because you couldn't see shit in front or in any direction. We had to guess where we thought the final exit was and pull off. Hit it dead on. Once collapsed into a sleepy delirium, I think after that I slept something like 12 or 13 hrs straight.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:54 pm

zblair wrote:I also remember driving to work with a co-worker during continuous shifts of long duration. We both saw grey men running in front of the vehicle while we were driving looked at each other at the same moment and said, "Didjajustseethosegreymenrunninginfrontofthecar??????" FREAKY! A DUAL Hallucination that was! :colors: :colors:
Dual hallucination? How's that work? You sure you didn't have any missing time?

Longest trip I've taken was from Susanville CA to Portland. 500 miles 12 hours. Long day in the bus that started with this surprise snow storm.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:10 pm

zblair wrote:I also remember driving to work with a co-worker during continuous shifts of long duration. We both saw grey men running in front of the vehicle while we were driving looked at each other at the same moment and said, "Didjajustseethosegreymenrunninginfrontofthecar??????" FREAKY! A DUAL Hallucination that was! :colors: :colors:
Dual hallucination? How's that work? You sure you didn't have any missing time?

We had the same hallucination at the same exact moment. As for missing time, all I can say about that is I've had some really interesting out of body experiences before....
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:15 am

I've had dual hallucinations before, but they all involved LSD and good friends/girlfriends.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:17 am

DjEep wrote:I've had dual hallucinations before, but they all involved LSD and good friends/girlfriends.
That was a great friend of mine at the time and also my co-worker. We had worked back to back 12 hr shifts for close to two weeks, and we were going in at 1pm and leaving at 1am most of those days. The day that hallucination happened, it was about 2 or 3 in the morning on the way into work because something had gotten fucked up. Let's just say we were vulnerable since our sense of time/space was non-existent. :colors:

I've only dropped acid once and it was such an *impressionable* experience it never happened again for me. I had also imbibed a few other substances that day and it wasn't a good trip.

J can tell you (or maybe I will come back myself) about another altered state experience where nothing happened to me no matter what I did - which rather startled our hosts since it was meant to be a shroom excursion. The only deduction we could come up with was that I *live* more or less in that state of being due to being a long time advocate of TM. I don't need *stuff* to get there if you will. Still really don't although every once in a great while I might smoke with a good friend. Last time was long enough ago that I can't remember when it was.

:geek:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:31 am

Getting even more off-topic here, but...

We've all done long-distance legs at the wheel, and all suffered from fatigue. What pisses me off is the current rigid attitude that ANY amount of THC in your system is cause for instant arrest. My own opinion is that, behind the wheel, fatigue is a far greater danger than pot.

That said, I'd never smoke and drive in bad weather or in traffic. Only in the wide open spaces. Say, between Gallup and Amarillo. :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 am

BlissfullyCrusin wrote: Wow. Newtown CT? I grew up in Danbury. My mom still works at Dental Associates in Newtown..don't know if that means anything to ya..
I was there when it had an idyllic 4,000 people, I lived in Sandy Hook and had a classic American boyhood, riding my bicycle to the Flag Pole, falling in love with little Amy on Brushy Hill Road, street football in Lakeview Terrace, rope swing diving into Lake Zoar, stealing neighbors cars for joyrides to the Blue Colony at 3:00AM.

The only dental experiences I had were Dr. Moriarity who got arrested for child molestation, and Dr. Gellert whose teeth I shall knock out personally if I ever see him. . .

Colin :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:
I was there when it had an idyllic 4,000 people, I lived in Sandy Hook and had a classic American boyhood, riding my bicycle to the Flag Pole, falling in love with little Amy on Brushy Hill Road, street football in Lakeview Terrace, rope swing diving into Lake Zoar, stealing neighbors cars for joyrides to the Blue Colony at 3:00AM.

The only dental experiences I had were Dr. Moriarity who got arrested for child molestation, and Dr. Gellert whose teeth I shall knock out personally if I ever see him. . .

Colin :flower:
Haha!
Blue Colony is still around...have had many late night cups of coffee and greasy burgers there myself...

The flagpole is still there too..but that'll never die.
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:42 am

glasseye wrote:Getting even more off-topic here, but...

We've all done long-distance legs at the wheel, and all suffered from fatigue. What pisses me off is the current rigid attitude that ANY amount of THC in your system is cause for instant arrest. My own opinion is that, behind the wheel, fatigue is a far greater danger than pot.

That said, I'd never smoke and drive in bad weather or in traffic. Only in the wide open spaces. Say, between Gallup and Amarillo. :drunken:
We actually had quite a lively debate about this very topic somewhere back in the Free Speech ether. I agree with you. I don't advocate driving F'd up, just mildly toasty.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:43 pm

I'd guess cell phone usage trumps all of the above for being impaired behind the wheel! Talk about being in another world!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:28 pm

talking about time warps....

Was driving my 71 bus back to college after winter break (early March in Michigan)....starts to slowly lose power until it's just bucking and I'm only doing 35mph on the expressway. Pull over, pop the bonnet, and she's definately over heating in the 28 degree weather. it's about 9p at night, pitch black. No problem I think, I'll just sleep here until day light. Get back in the bus, grab my one thin blanket, and sit there and watch my breath slowly roll out of my nose, curl for a while, and finally disapate (yeah, it was cold). Hmm, probably not a good option. Go back to the engine compartment, remember it ran this crumby when the points were bad...took a big flat head screw driver and knocked a big chunk of crud off the points. Was enough so I could at least do 45mph without too much bucking. Got back to school after 2.5 hours...normally took a little over an hour. Later found out that my fuel shut off valve had vibrated out and was sucking major air. Did a classic hippie fix...jambed a twig into the hole until I could get a new one a couple of weeks later.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::