New Owner, 70' Fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Addicted!

Re: New Owner, 70' Fasty

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 am

Apologize for the delay in response, Master Series. I wire brush first, use a rust converter, followed by a coat of Master Series then seam sealer followed by a second coat of Master Series. Hopefully this will make for a long lasting solution towards eliminating future rust.

Colin this boxed in section is completely inaccessible until it rusts through somewhere. On the inside is the bumper mount, on the outside is the air intake/water drain area. All of the rust holes are around and under the bumper mount. I will figure out how to access, in the mean time have rust converted away from the area I will have to weld and use seam seal and Master Series accordingly. Once I return to NY from Florida I will finish up the patch welding, I hope. Still have the spare tire area in the front to weld up as well.

By the way if you have no fall plans to travel in NY in October I will pull the body and make sure all rust holes have been addressed.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Didn't realize these had lights for the rear hatch, first found the switch then the light, well hidden. Attempted to remove the light but only could pop one side, left it alone for now as I didn't want to crack the lens. Switch is frozen so that will need some love as well. After a little investigation elsewhere it appears this only goes on if the headlights are on?
Fasty Hatch Light.jpg
Fasty Hatch Light.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 49908 times
Fasty Rear Hatch Light.jpg
Fasty Rear Hatch Light.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 49908 times
Fasty Hatch Light Switch.jpg
Fasty Hatch Light Switch.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 49908 times
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:46 pm

... yes I know the lens is already cracked (like that when I found it). Hopefully can remove in one piece and repair in some fashion.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:11 am

Huh, thanks for the tidbit on the trunk light operation! Pretty cool feature to..... save wire?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Robbie, I assume it has more to do with safety, ensures tail lights are on if you have to stop, get out and open the hatch? Whatever the reason nice to have, although not sure it works as I have the electrical torn apart at the moment (in reality the entire care is parts and pieces). Hopefully by spring will be ready to paint and finish up, in the mean time working on odds and ends and continuing weld repairs. Will pull body in next month or so to ensure I've addressed all rust areas.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:49 am

At this point on hold with pulling body as I broke my tibia two weeks ago. I am attempting to do some of the small things but Doc indicates NWB (non weight bearing) which severely limits what can be accomplished. I suppose the good news is that it is winter in upstate NY, coupled with COVID, so limited to some degree anyway. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and has a Happy New Year.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am

Quick update, pulled headlight assemblies apart and polished chrome in addition to painting the housings, something I could do from a chair with my leg elevated. On a couple of the pieces the chrome is marred, any thoughts as to how to bring back to original quality? I will get pictures and keep moving on some of the smaller things. I was contemplating removing the rear pop out windows but not sure of the appropriate way of doing that, nor sure I should try while on crutches.

Alternatively, maybe I'll focus on the door panels instead, should be able to accomplish something in that area.

Also will try to post pictures of partial repairs to drivers side front fender, I was in the middle of the fit-up when the leg fracture got in the way. This fender had the bumper indent removed, i.e. flattened, by a PO. I had attempted to pound it back in with questionable results (see earlier pictures). Joel in WA had a replacement front fender section available that was a perfect fit, although has yet to be welded in place for obvious reasons.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am
Quick update, pulled headlight assemblies apart and polished chrome in addition to painting the housings, something I could do from a chair with my leg elevated. On a couple of the pieces the chrome is marred, any thoughts as to how to bring back to original quality? I will get pictures and keep moving on some of the smaller things. I was contemplating removing the rear pop out windows but not sure of the appropriate way of doing that, nor sure I should try while on crutches.

Alternatively, maybe I'll focus on the door panels instead, should be able to accomplish something in that area.

Also will try to post pictures of partial repairs to drivers side front fender, I was in the middle of the fit-up when the leg fracture got in the way. This fender had the bumper indent removed, i.e. flattened, by a PO. I had attempted to pound it back in with questionable results (see earlier pictures). Joel in WA had a replacement front fender section available that was a perfect fit, although has yet to be welded in place for obvious reasons.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's hear it, dish. How did you break your tibia?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 am

Hanging an LED strobe light on the garage, you know in the spirit of the Holidays. Instead of taking the time to get a ladder I used one of my old school, steel, sitting stools. The first three times I used it all was good, then decided I didn't like the location so climbed up one more time... the rest is history (or will be in another 3 to 4 weeks, maybe). Took a chunk out of the side of the distal end of the tibia, the good news is the bone fracture was non-displaced and still attached so they are hopeful a cast will be the solution, if not then surgery is next step.

Unfortunately same leg that had the ankle destroyed 10+ years ago (and a broken hip which healed itself), five surgeries to put that back together. At least that damage was caused by a 14 ft. fall, not a 2 1/2 ft. tumble, a little embarrassing. As my youngest brother says "not much of an athlete", although not sure how that comes into play.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:45 am

Disassembled drivers side door, very pleased with what I saw. Panel had one cut in the vinyl and a punch through the board but it did not penetrate the plastic barrier on the inside, which was fully intact. Interestingly couldn't figure out exactly how to remove the plastic, finger protector piece on the door handle as all of the others I have worked with had a small screw. Pulled out the handy bible and it indicated that it needed to be pried out, easier said than done. After some damage to the piece it was out, will have to clean it up prior to reinstall.

As I said the plastic barrier was in great shape(appears original) and all rubbers and pins for the panel were accounted for and in pristine condition (rubbers were still supple). I was able to remove the barrier in one piece, will serve as a good template for the replacement. This is a testament to Colin's teachings that the plastic is critical to life of the door panel. As expected there was rust in the bottom of the door, however it was minimal, couldn't poke a screwdriver through anywhere along the area. So will wire brush, vacuum, apply converter and then follow up with Master Series primer and top coat.

The last picture is of the panel post 5 minute clean, this will clean up to be almost spotless once I apply true elbow grease to the effort. My intent is to replace the foam strip along the bottom rear of the panel and re-glue the pocket at the bottom, other than that not much else to do.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions regarding repair method for the slice in the vinyl cover and small poke through the panel, don't want to replace these as they appear to be the originals? Fortunately the passenger door panel has no visible damage, haven't opened it up yet though, potentially could have gotten wet.

2. Also should I remove the sound deadener and replace? It is intact and I when I attempted to remove found it to be solidly adhered to the door skin.

3. Does anyone know the purpose of the small piece of barrier plastic above the door handle? I thought it an odd placement, but it appears to be factory.

Unfortunately with the leg issue have double my time to get things done. Drs. appt. tomorrow, hopefully I can be moved to a walking cast.
Attachments
Drivers Door Panel, Fastback.jpg
Drivers Door Panel, Fastback.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Rear of Drivers Side Panel, Fasty.jpg
Rear of Drivers Side Panel, Fasty.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Drivers Side Door Panel, Plastic in Place.jpg
Drivers Side Door Panel, Plastic in Place.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Drivers Side Door Plastic.jpg
Drivers Side Door Plastic.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Drivers Side Door Rust, 2.jpg
Drivers Side Door Rust, 2.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Drivers Side Door Rust.jpg
Drivers Side Door Rust.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
Drivers Side Door Panel, Cleaned.jpg
Drivers Side Door Panel, Cleaned.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 48665 times
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 am

Forgot to mention that the drain holes (actually slits) were plugged with rust debris, were easily opened with a screwdriver. Surprised to find minimal rust in this area as well.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Passenger door was in almost pristine condition with minimal rust and all parts and pieces accounted for. The only strange thing I noticed on both doors was that the plastic piece that goes under the window winder, between the winder and outer side of panel, was missing, I assume they are supposed to have them?
Attachments
Passenger Side Door Panel.jpg
Passenger Side Door Panel.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 48614 times
Passenger Side Door, Front Internal Rear.jpg
Passenger Side Door, Front Internal Rear.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 48614 times
Passenger Side Door, Front Internal.jpg
Passenger Side Door, Front Internal.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 48614 times
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:11 pm

Finally on my feet, allowed to actually put weight on my leg without a walking boot, a very long 3+ months. Earlier today I went back to work on the Fasty, focusing on the left rear, inner fender, water drain rust issues. My original plan was to have this done, along with the rest of the rear rust issues, pre-Christmas...

As I mentioned the driver rear was in worse shape than the passenger side which is completed. Complete rust through in the drain wall bracket (not sure what to call it) and unlike the other side a large rust hole into the rear of the bumper mount compartment. Cut out all the bad areas fabricated a new bracket and got to work. Hopefully additional accomplishments tomorrow. Will wire brush the entire area, convert rust, primer coat partially and final weld air/water drain cover in place.

Does anyone know if the drain tubes for the lower rear fender area are available?
Welding Complete, Cover Temp in Place.jpg
Welding Complete, Cover Temp in Place.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
Patch Welded In.jpg
Patch Welded In.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
Patch Welded In (2).jpg
Patch Welded In (2).jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
Pre-Patch .jpg
Pre-Patch .jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
Pre-Patch (2).jpg
Pre-Patch (2).jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
Fender Attach Bracket.jpg
Fender Attach Bracket.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
New Fender Drain Wall.jpg
New Fender Drain Wall.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 47488 times
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:17 pm

Note that I removed the "brain" from the fender area, bagged it and put it safely away. Bagged the connector as well and tied up out of the way. Wasn't sure if welding close to it would be an issue, didn't want to take the chance.

Once the external rust work is completed I plan on removing the engine so that I can replace the bumper mounts which are partially rusted through. Can't really get at them from the outside of the car. While the engine is out will complete a top end tear down to make sure I haven't missed any rodent nests, etc.. Not sure if I'll pull the heads at this point, thoughts?
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:09 am

After further review decided that I could replace the rear bumper mounts with the engine installed. Measured carefully, cut out old mounts, tacked in new along with a few other repairs in that area. Biggest challenge was accessing the joints for welding, had to be creative with my HB lift as I don't like working underneath without back up in place. Passenger side done, moving back to drivers side.
New Bumper Mount.jpg
New Bumper Mount.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 47392 times
New Bumper Mount From Below.jpg
New Bumper Mount From Below.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 47392 times
Old Bumper Mount (2).jpg
Old Bumper Mount (2).jpg (595.39 KiB) Viewed 47392 times
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback