Just Lolling About

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Just Lolling About

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm

This only barely qualifies as an Itinerant Air-Cooled entry. Padding to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee . . . padding back to the desk . . . plying Google News for stories to comment under, answering emails like "Where Are You?" watching YouTube simulations of how a Boeing 737 Max8 pilot might override the automatic stall avoidance as his plane plummets into the ocean, oh, and re-writing the entire mileage/fuel log and profit/loss record of Itinerant Air-Cooled since April 2004 when the Road Warrior was at 456,020 miles. Every single stop's
Date, Odometer, City/State, Amount, Quantity, Miles, and Customer, since the beginning of my official Itinerant Air-Cooled tax records, all here on the floor:

The yellow sheets are the originals for 2014, 2015, 2016. See, I had procrastinated and it really was time to log them into the Big Book:

Over on the right side of the spread, we find 2018's August Redrita, BusBassist, WDollie6, Curtpo7,Aopisa, Appetite, and maybe even Skip before I blew outta there and fled to the west:

Here's the spread again. I forgot to tell you . . . these are all double-sided:

Frankly, dotting the Road Warrior's headliner with 68,000 Sharpie dots was less tedious than this.
BUT,
for those who ask why would I do this 242 pages of neatly-written data entry, the answer is that it is re-exercising my neck muscles and hand-eye coordination brain wiring, so I can get back to DRAWING,
THAT'S WHY.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Re: Just Lolling About

Post by zabo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Interesting tedious warm up.
Looking forward to seeing some new drawing :sunny:
60 beetle
78 bus

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 am

For the seedy underbelly of airline flying watch “children of the magenta” on YouTube. You’ll love it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 am
For the seedy underbelly of airline flying watch “children of the magenta” on YouTube. You’ll love it.

It is on-deck. Get it? On deck?

I just saw the investigation of Colgan Air, the outfit that hired those overworked underpaid regional pilots that pulled up and retracted the flaps to deal with a stick shaker . . . thus the Buffalo icing on the wings disaster.

I love competence and professionalism. You know, Sully . . . . . . Mueller . . . . . :blackeye:

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 pm

I turned down a Newark offer from them in 07 for.... 18k a year salary plus commuting to Newark!

Glad I did....on deck...funny!

tewa3240
I'm New!

Post by tewa3240 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am
Curtp07 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:07 am

It is on-deck. Get it? On deck?

I just saw the investigation of Colgan Air, the outfit that hired those overworked underpaid regional pilots that pulled up and retracted the flaps to deal with a stick shaker . . . thus the Buffalo icing on the wings disaster.

I love competence and professionalism. You know, Sully . . . . . . Mueller . . . . . :blackeye:
Sully had no thrust left.Easy decision.Keep flying the plane.
Flying around the Great Lakes with a prop plane? In icing conditions?
Those poor goofs were set up for disaster. Guess they never read Fate is the Hunter. They should've.
Also Stick & Rudder by Wolfgang Lang-a-whoever, Cessna test pilot. Read those & live.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm

tewa3240 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:34 am
Sully had no thrust left.Easy decision.Keep flying the plane.
Here, let me give you an "easy metaphor". Sully is to landing on the Hudson as you and I are to blowing down a freeway off ramp to discover no brakes. Sure, it is easy to "just bear right and merge onto the boulevard". But as you know, there are many many many questions coming up very quickly, traffic, obstacles, road/river surface . . . yakking on the radio.
Colin :drunken:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm
…as you know, there are many many many questions coming up very quickly, traffic, obstacles, road/river surface . . . yakking on the radio.
Oooh oooh oooh, and decades of training telling you not to land on the boulevard!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:22 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:40 pm
…as you know, there are many many many questions coming up very quickly, traffic, obstacles, road/river surface . . . yakking on the radio.
Oooh oooh oooh, and decades of training telling you not to land on the boulevard!
Robbie

There is a world of difference in how people respond to fast-moving emergencies. I used to know how I would respond . . . but now? My processor is definitely slowing down.
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I just saw the investigation of Colgan Air
"The Q400 stick pusher applies an airplane-nose-down control column input to decrease the wing angle-of-attack after an aerodynamic stall, but the captain overrode the stick pusher and continued pulling back on the control column. The first officer retracted the flaps without consulting the captain, making recovery even more difficult."

Wow, what a failure of crew resource management. And basic flight training.

Another similar conjunction of failures but resulting in more deaths, Air France 447, treated here.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:51 am

whc03grady wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:02 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
I just saw the investigation of Colgan Air
"The Q400 stick pusher applies an airplane-nose-down control column input to decrease the wing angle-of-attack after an aerodynamic stall, but the captain overrode the stick pusher and continued pulling back on the control column. The first officer retracted the flaps without consulting the captain, making recovery even more difficult."

Wow, what a failure of crew resource management. And basic flight training.

Another similar conjunction of failures but resulting in more deaths, Air France 447, treated here.

It may seem ghoulish, but I love the discipline of the flying community when it comes to *mistakes* and *mechanical failures* and *hideous crashes*. It seems to be one of the few places left where I can find adults who are deeply motivated to be careful and communicate clearly. I love that.

Oh, and if accidentally find yourself in an uncontrollable pitch up just before and certainly after VR, you just call me. I'll walk you through exactly what to do. Give me a couple days to get back to you though.
Colin :flower: