Salvage to saved

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Salvage to saved

Post by asiab3 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 am

Hey Tom- I hope you sent that carb out to Tim@Volkzbitz for rebuilding/refurbishment. The new carbs on the market today have more slop out of the box than the old German carbs have after decades of use.

If you have the old one still, you may find yourself cleaning it and installing it later down the line ;)

That curtain fabric is amazing!

Any plans for the interior electrical inlet? Mine has been flopping around my cargo area for almost a decade now. I’ve used it twice... and the first time I pulled away from my camp spot still plugged in!

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Thu May 10, 2018 2:31 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 am
Hey Tom- I hope you sent that carb out to Tim@Volkzbitz for rebuilding/refurbishment. The new carbs on the market today have more slop out of the box than the old German carbs have after decades of use.

If you have the old one still, you may find yourself cleaning it and installing it later down the line ;)

That curtain fabric is amazing!

Any plans for the interior electrical inlet? Mine has been flopping around my cargo area for almost a decade now. I’ve used it twice... and the first time I pulled away from my camp spot still plugged in!

Robbie
I'm pretty sure that was going to be the case. Was going to clean it up and try but will still send to a "pro" to refurb and tune. Should have replacement and fuel pump tomorrow. Curtains...that's Laura's department since it's "her bus". Will plumb the outlet but not a huge priority. We are seldom at such civilized camp locations that offer power. We rarely use it on the other one, especially since we now have the aux battery with the Blue Sea relay system.
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:45 am

I got my wife a Bay for our anniversary and next year she gave me a Split.

😀

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:56 pm

It's cleaning up real nice.... Helps to know an upholstery guy who specializes in $250M GulfStream jets.. Buffing original paint (in process) removed luggage rack and waxed the roof and Installed new top seals. Installed missing tailpipe bits and now have functioning back up lites.
Attachments
IMG_20180623_203835029.jpg
IMG_20180614_193025921.jpg
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Looking good. How's it driving?

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 am

tommu wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:46 pm
Looking good. How's it driving?
Actually quite well considering it hasn't rolled for 23 years. Will need some front end work before we go much beyond the neighborhood. I have tie rods and 4 ball joints but those are out of my realm of do it at home expertise... I will attempt the CV's with disassembly, cleaning and new boots, etc. Next will be a rear wood subfloor and a bit of patching of front floor as there are a few road observing portals at present.
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm

This isn't good but kinda what I expected with something's that been sitting & neglected for +20 yrs. Had to pry 3 of 5 bearings out as they were wedged into the inner CV cage. Could this be the cause of our herky jerky 1st & 2nd gear acceleration? And I was so hopeful to reassemble after getting my hands soooo dirty.
Attachments
IMG_20180717_184944667.jpg
IMG_20180718_215541_261.jpg
IMG_20180718_201906694.jpg
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, those are shot. Don’t get the Chinese ones.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm
Yes, those are shot. Don’t get the Chinese ones.
But but but I oh-so-LOVED my empi complete axles. Nearly got me to the century mark…

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1766802.jpg

Nice going, Tom! Tie-Rods are a DIY job if you can get the car aligned afterwards:

Preamble: drive the car forward into workshop and do not jack up or upset suspension.

1) Soak threads in penetrating oil of choice.

2) Remove ends with fancy puller, as to not upset resting wheel geometry.
https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product ... ool_106189

3) Instal left (non-adjustable) tie rod with anti-sieze on the tapered section of the joint.

4) Loosen adjustment locks on right (adjustable) tie-rod and roughly match old tie rod length.

5) Under the car, try to instal new tie rod, adjusting as necessary so it slides into position with no threads scraping in bores. This will ensure your alignment is as close as possible to previous settings. Anti-seize on these tapers, too.

6) Snug up the locking mechanisms (some have collars with 13mm nuts, some have 19mm jam nuts) on right tie rod, and tighten all 19mm tie-rod nuts. I re-use the castellated stock nuts with new cotter pins. New tie rods with nylock nuts require so much torque to turn, that the tie rod ball itself often spins and won't let you achieve full torque on the 19mm nuts. This is poor practice at best, dangerous at worse. Good tie rod ends have a 5 or 6mm allen wrench slot to prevent this, so you can use an open-end wrench for professional installation.

7) Have the car professionally aligned, ENSURING that the steering box is centered and the steering wheel is centered to the box. Drag links should be adjusted LAST, so a shop that starts with a drag link adjustment doesn't get my business. Alternatives to professional alignment include:
- drive it until the tires wear enough to feel for chafing
- drive it until your tire is bald and then have Colin tell you that toe, not camber, causes huge inner tread wear. :pirate:

-

Good luck with the progress! How sure are you that the nervousness in lower gears is not your shiny new EMPI carburetor paired with the fuel-injection distributor? :blackeye:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 am

But but but I oh-so-LOVED my empi complete axles. Nearly got me to the century mark…
Robbie, does that mean 100 miles...or, 100,000 miles? Your balls look nicely burnished, thank you.

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Nice going, Tom! Tie-Rods are a DIY job if you can get the car aligned afterwards:

Preamble: drive the car forward into workshop and do not jack up or upset suspension.

Robbie
Just going to the garage to do mine this morning. Thanks Robbie!

Nice looking bus Tom! I met you at THall's a couple of years ago. I hope to check it out sometime!

Mike
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am

Good luck with the progress! How sure are you that the nervousness in lower gears is not your shiny new EMPI carburetor paired with the fuel-injection distributor? :blackeye:
Have you found me a 205Q dist yet while you're traipsing about? That is the proper one for this set up, yes? There appears to be lots of parts available this weekend in Fargo @ the Red River meet. We'll be camping w/Matt & Jen right down the road from the Maple Beach Resort & Grill!! Burgers on a pontoon boat with some polka maybe?? Waiting for CV joints to arrive so we can move on to tie rods.
Attachments
IMG_20180609_193400691.jpg
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 am

Message wcfvw69 about the 205Q, but I'm not certain your EMPI carburetor is up to the task…

I recognize that outboard motor… 300hp supercharger and self-docking system indeed… that beer, that lake… Enjoy that Clarinet Polka for me!

Robbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjlvm8AOuo
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 am

Jivermo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:32 am
Robbie, does that mean 100 miles...or, 100,000 miles? Your balls look nicely burnished, thank you.
Uhh they had 91k, thanks……………
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I'd gather many of you do this stuff in your sleep but for me much of this is first time /learning kind of stuff. My point is I thank you all for sharing tips, pointers, experiences and encouragement here and elsewhere.
CV's are locked and loaded. Ball joints and tie rods?
Attachments
IMG_20180801_203631409_LL.jpg
IMG_20180801_185147983_LL.jpg
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper