Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Transmission

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

appetite wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:29 pm
I'm going to check out the stop plate next. What should I be looking for?

Shift into 2nd gear.
Loosen the two 13mm bolts that hold the shifter to the floor. Loosen only a turn each.

Look CLOSELY at the stop plate ear sticking out of the middle of the black shift housing on the right side of the assembly, i.e. passenger side.

You have been having a difficult time getting into 1st/2nd, so we are going to open up the "gate" just a tad. When we adjusted the stop plate, we moved the ear on the right side of the stop plate towards the driver's door to make sure that you could never accidentally engage reverse from 3rd gear.

With loose bolts as per above, move/rap the gearshift-that-is-in-2nd gear towards the drivers door just a bit. You WILL SEE the stop plate move sideways towards the passenger door hopefully no more than a mm.
Test for gears after you snug the 13mm bolts.

Pleeeeze report back.
Your Appetite Commemorative Three Arm 1600 Pressure Plate says "hi, I have 8,184 additional miles and am loving the rural west."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks Colin. I will try that this weekend.

You mentioned: "When we adjusted the stop plate, we moved the ear on the right side of the stop plate towards the driver's door to make sure that you could never accidentally engage reverse from 3rd gear."

I don't remember doing this procedure when we installed the transmission. Did we?

Tell the pressure plate to have a good trip around the country.

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 am

OK, Robbie, Hambone and sgkent's advice, with Colin's procedure has yielded some positive results.

I can get the bus into 2nd without a problem, even on the downshift. The issue with 1st slipping into 3rd is eliminated. Thee is still some difficulty getting into 1st from a hard stop. I'm going to feel it out for a few days and if it persists, I'll attempt the same procedure, only this time, moving the gearshift in 1st gear towards the drivers door just a bit.

Should I put some grease down into the shifter now that it is open? DuraBlend?

Thanks,

James

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:05 am

appetite wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 am
OK, Robbie, Hambone and sgkent's advice, with Colin's procedure has yielded some positive results.

I can get the bus into 2nd without a problem, even on the downshift. The issue with 1st slipping into 3rd is eliminated. Thee is still some difficulty getting into 1st from a hard stop. I'm going to feel it out for a few days and if it persists, I'll attempt the same procedure, only this time, moving the gearshift in 1st gear towards the drivers door just a bit.

Should I put some grease down into the shifter now that it is open? DuraBlend?

Thanks,

James

Remember too, that a fresh transmission is happy to block your shifts when you get too harried at the green light.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:25 pm

That's usually when mine gets fussy. Still needs adjusting though, I have been preoccupied lately with love and heartbreak.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:50 pm

in a rebuilt trans, 1st seems to be the one that is "notchy." If you have trouble finding the gear that is an adjustment. But, if you find the gear but have trouble getting it to engage, that is usually the hub and syncro. My 091 when I rebuilt it did the same but about 1000 miles later 1st is now almost as smooth as the other gears. The professional trans builders told me that is pretty normal on these. One thing you can do that may help when it hangs is this - Come to a complete stop. Put it in neutral. Let out the clutch. Push the clutch in and now try to engage 1st. That spins the gear and gives the synchro and hub a chance to align.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks I'll try that.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:14 pm

OK, so revisiting this thread from a year ago re: shifting issues. They persist.

To recap:

Newly rebuild transmission. Less than 200 miles. Difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd, with the engine both running and not running. Sometimes, the shift is two finger smooth. Other times it is impossible to get into gear. Sometimes, it will go into gear only after moving the shifter through 4th and 3rd.

I will check the shift coupler again. I will try the shift plate procedure again.

Are there other elements I can explore? Should i adjust the clutch?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 pm

appetite wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:14 pm
OK, so revisiting this thread from a year ago re: shifting issues. They persist.

To recap:

Newly rebuild transmission. Less than 200 miles. Difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd, with the engine both running and not running. Sometimes, the shift is two finger smooth. Other times it is impossible to get into gear. Sometimes, it will go into gear only after moving the shifter through 4th and 3rd.

I will check the shift coupler again. I will try the shift plate procedure again.

Are there other elements I can explore? Should i adjust the clutch?

If there is no change between engine off/engine on, then we can rule out the clutch.
Drive it. That is the cure. Less than 200 miles? Drive it. It is feeling "notchy" until you knock off the edges.
Colin

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:05 am

That's the best cure I've ever heard!

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:53 am

Ugh! This freaking transmission!

Background: the trouble getting the bus into 1st or 2nd continued unabated over the summer.

Yesterday: in traffic, turning onto an uphill on-ramp and downshift into 2nd. No dice: the stick goes into 4th. Full stop. Try to get into 1st. The stick goes into 3rd. Beeping, cursing, animated gestures from the friendly drivers of New Jersey. I limp the bus to the side of the road. Try multiple times to get it into 1st or 2nd. No dice. It will only go into 3rd or 4th.

I'm stuck. I can't get it uphill in 3rd. I pull out the tools and try to adjust the shift plate to get it to align. No dice. I gave up and got it towed home.

So. Is there a procedure or does anyone have experience in getting the shift plate adjusted correctly? Should I take the whole assembly apart at this point to start from scratch?

I'm ready to push this bus off a cliff!

Thanks,

James

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 pm

I should clarify that the bus goes into 3rd in the 1st gear position and 4th gear in the 2nd gear position.

Does that make sense?

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 pm

It does sound like a shift plate adjustment to me. Do you have the Bentley? If so there are some directions on how to adjust it in there. But basically adjust the shift plate right or left until it shifts well. At least that’s how I’ve done mine. A small adjustment can really make the difference.

appetite
Getting Hooked!

Post by appetite » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:24 am

I took the assembly apart. Looking down at the "pipe bowl", I noticed that nothing connected the Front Shift Rod at the bushing to the support bar. I took the belly pan off and got a look underneath.

See here:
IMG_2612.jpg
and here:
IMG_2611.jpg

What am I missing? Is there supposed to be a support pin here? I've looked online and I haven't seen the part...

Help!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:50 pm

I am continuously aghast with wonder at the amount of service our cars will provide us while missing critical parts.

YES there should be a pin inserted into the front shift bushing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qudW0xUcOpc

I typically "massage" the parts into slightly less slop than this. But uhhhh, yeah you should probably have a complete and functioning chassis before you go adjusting the stop plate. :pirate:

If I remember correctly, you can drill the remnants of the old pin out, grind off all but the last few threads of an M8 or M10 bolt, and use a jam nut to hold the bolt in place and shift for the next 100 years without worry. Welding in a hardened steel pin would be ideal, but above my skill level.

Unreal, how you even drove that in the first place…
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.