This can't be good.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

russwiththebus
I'm New!

Re: This can't be good.

Post by russwiththebus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm curious how your alternator was tested? I took a couple to Auto Zone recently and requested a bench test, they punched it up and it said could only be tested in vehicle. I presume it's because they are externally regulated and their tester isn't set up for that. Either that or they don't have a compatible plug. I suppose a real shop could do better.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:57 pm

I had it tested by the shop that rebuilt it last year. He would have no reason to give me inaccurate test results. I think. He knew that I was goung to take it home and reinstall the thing.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am

Jivermo wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 am
Reporting Back:

Now, switch meter to DC volts, thoroughly ground the meter's black wire,turn on engine, and check for a 12 volt reading at the blue wire connector with your meter's red lead thoroughly contacting (you may need to rev engine a bit). :cherry: Shows 11.65 Volts, running. Battery power solely.

Do you suppose that the alt is not charging, even though it tested good?
Hey Jivermo!

With the blue wire disconnected at the connector, the alternator CAN'T charge, so that is expected. I just wanted to make extra sure that the vehicle's infrastructure was correct and functional.

Now plug in the blue wire to the connector, engine off. Is battery terminal voltage reading 11.65 volts? Start engine. What is the voltage reading at 2,500 rpm?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Battery down to about 11.45 volts, but bus cranked right up. Bringing engine up to RPM's show no effect of the voltage. I have another alternator that I guess I'll substitute, and see what's up. PITA!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am

Jivermo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:37 pm
Battery down to about 11.45 volts, but bus cranked right up. Bringing engine up to RPM's show no effect of the voltage. I have another alternator that I guess I'll substitute, and see what's up. PITA!
You might be in line for a Lexus visit on November 29/30.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am

Mark wants to see you, as well.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:20 am

Jivermo wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am
Mark wants to see you, as well.
Which Mark, whose Mark, Bismarck?
ColinDementiaMightBecomeMe

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

You can spin the alternator b y hand...and with meter set to lowest voltage reading...you should see some action to verify Alt is doing its thing
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Woodruff key dropped into the guts of the spare alternator, as I was changing the pulley. I am not about to tear into the AL108,so back to the alternator guy, and have him get into both of these units. I thought I would have this sorted out today. Rough.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Got the woodruff key out after several hours, and finally got pulley and alternator reassembled. Tomorrow, back in the bus and we see what’s up. I love my bus. I love my bus. I love my bus.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Got the woodruff key out after several hours, and finally got pulley and alternator reassembled. Tomorrow, back in the bus and we see what’s up. I love my bus. I love my bus. I love my bus.
You DO love your bus. Like life itself. Let's review:

Life. Life itself is always toying with your patience, your resolve, your plans, your peace of mind . . .

Bus. ditto

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 pm

I replaced the alternator with my spare, and it is now charging. What a bunch of work...I’ll be seeing my alternator rebuild guy tomorrow. I am puzzled, however, as to why it tested good in his shop. Now, of course, another issue. The cooling pipe of the replacement AL108 is a bit shorter, and does not have a lip on the end where the rubber boot slides on. So, there is more work tomorrow, as I got fed up with tearing up my hands, trying to get it on this new alternator this evening. The other unit had a much nicer, and longer cooling pipe. So it goes. Colin, you gonna take a spin down here at the end of the month, and extend the ‘17 Itinerary, into December?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am

Jivermo wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 pm
I replaced the alternator with my spare, and it is now charging. What a bunch of work...I’ll be seeing my alternator rebuild guy tomorrow. I am puzzled, however, as to why it tested good in his shop. Now, of course, another issue. The cooling pipe of the replacement AL108 is a bit shorter, and does not have a lip on the end where the rubber boot slides on. So, there is more work tomorrow, as I got fed up with tearing up my hands, trying to get it on this new alternator this evening. The other unit had a much nicer, and longer cooling pipe. So it goes. Colin, you gonna take a spin down here at the end of the month, and extend the ‘17 Itinerary, into December?
Yes. November 28 > til jobserdun.
Colin