Starter / Solenoid Issue

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Starter / Solenoid Issue

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 am

The starter in my 78 Bus had the classic "hot start" problem (turn the key and nothing when heat-soaked), so I installed a hot-start relay over a year ago and have had no problems - until yesterday.

After a ten-minute drive (from cold), I tried to restart the Bus and got a small click and then nothing. I found the hot-start relay 20A fuse blown. (The fuse is in the circuit from + to the relay to the solenoid.) I replaced the fuse and it immediately blows when I try to engage the starter.

Should I replace the entire starter, or maybe just the solenoid is the issue?

Thanks,
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: Starter / Solenoid Issue

Post by sgkent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:37 pm

pull the spade lug off the starter solenoid, replace the fuse and try again. if the fuse stops blowing the issue is somewhere in the starter or fuel pump circuit if you have an FI bus. If the fuse still blows the problem is likely one of the wires you put in between the fuse and relay, or relay and starter has either chaffed thru and is shorting out, or the relay itself has shorted out / full of water.

You can also put a new fuse in and pull the relay then try again. If it blows it is between the ignition switch and relay. If not you can eliminate checking wiring between the switch and relay but not the relay itself.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Same As Above + be alert to the condition of the current hot start relay. It is the weak link, and as SG Kent noted, it can suffer from road splash. You can quickly determine if the starter is OK by shorting #50 to #30 down there with a screwdriver or small adjustable wrench, transmission in neutral please. If it clicks and engages the starter, your hot start relay is the culprit here. If you determine that the hot start relay is good and the starter solenoid has given it up, go for the gear reduction starter.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 pm

What condition are you battery cables? How's the ground strap between the trans and frame? Have the cables/wires been cleaned at the starter recently?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 pm

All electrical connections are clean and corrosion-free. I have my relay mounted next to the voltage regulator in the engine compartment. No road splash there!

I reconnected the wire from the ignition key directly to the solenoid as it was originally. The solenoid clicked, but the starter did not run. I don't think it is pulling all the way back as it should, and that's why it blows the fuse.

I used jumper cables to connect directly from the starter motor to the battery and the starter motor ran just fine.

I then removed it all and took apart the solenoid. Does the plunger shaft look a little strange???

Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 pm

I then removed it all and took apart the solenoid. Does the plunger shaft look a little strange???
Yes.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 am

The local auto electrical repair shop had a new solenoid in stock for $22. I installed it and I'm back on the road.
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:47 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 am
The local auto electrical repair shop had a new solenoid in stock for $22. I installed it and I'm back on the road.
Was there a box (brand) and a part number and a price?
Enjoy the road while you can, a winter's a coming.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:55 am

No markings on the solenoid and a plain white box. Chinese I assume. We shall see how long it lasts!

With 80 degree temps it's hard to believe winter is coming......,
Don

78 Westy