best source of unbiased news...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: best source of unbiased news...

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:07 am

Lacking having been there and seen the real thing or what was actually said and the tone it was said in, news depends on ones viewpoint whether it is biased or not. For example here a recent Twitter feed that made many people on the left angry.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/9004598 ... -flag.html
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Maybe this site: www.breitbart.com
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:00 pm

sgkent wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:07 am
Lacking having been there and seen the real thing or what was actually said and the tone it was said in, news depends on ones viewpoint whether it is biased or not. For example here a recent Twitter feed that made many people on the left angry.

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/9004598 ... -flag.html
It is worth noting, Steve, that responses on Twitter are only representative of people who use Twitter and who have similar opinions and an interest in a certain post. So, in this instance, it would be accurate to say that a picture posted by the ACLU upset some people who may be on the 'left'.

It would nice if we could all try and apply the same careful, evidence based, deductive reasoning to the political sphere that we do to the mechanical sphere. Detail matters, evidence matters and objectivity really matters.

BTW - are you aware of ACLU's role in ensuring that Neo Nazis and White Supremacists could exercise their constitutional rights? It may help explain to you why some Twitter users were annoyed with that particular image they posted.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:53 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm
Maybe this site: www.breitbart.com
Or not. Breitbart is not only "not unbiased" but proudly brags about it. You'll see people like Bannon and Spencer air their views on the site, but if they've ever given space to progressives, I haven't heard about it.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am

JLT wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Bottom line: in news as in anything else, you get what you pay for. If you're not paying for it, somebody else is, and they're printing what they want you to know rather than what you need to know. That goes for local newspapers, too, if they're serious about reportage ...
Broke down and subscribed to the WSJ this week....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:55 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am

Broke down and subscribed to the WSJ this week....
Just be aware that, while their reporting is said to be pretty good, WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who has been replacing the old editors with those who support his world view. If you want to know what that world view is, just watch Fox News ... he owns that, too. So I would take their op-ed page with a grain or two of salt.

My wife has subscribed to the online versions of the Guardian, a British newspaper, and the Washington Post. We also have subscriptions to the Sacramento Bee and the New Yorker magazine, and I buy a copy of the Sunday San Francisco Chronicle for their takes on the news.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 pm

The Wall Street Journal has suffered under the Murdoch era.

Currently, the only corporate-free reader-supported nonprofit news organization is Mother Jones, who does not answer to any corporate overlord and does not have take orders from advertisers. They are well-despised by people who do not offer much of an argument as to why. Mother Jones issues original reported content seven days a week, a whole lot more commitment and investment than many news organizations that pluck and recycle AP and Reuters and NYT articles.

The Nation is the oldest continuously published weekly magazine in the United States, having been founded in 1865.
It is the most widely read weekly journal of progressive political and cultural news, opinion, and analysis.
Barack Obama had this to say:

"In an era of instant, 140-character news cycles and reflexive toeing of the party line, it's incredible to think of the 150-year history of The Nation. It's more than a magazine — it's a crucible of ideas forged in the time of Emancipation, tempered through depression and war and the civil-rights movement, and honed as sharp and relevant as ever in an age of breathtaking technological and economic change. Through it all, The Nation has exhibited that great American tradition of expanding our moral imaginations, stoking vigorous dissent, and simply taking the time to think through our country's challenges anew. If I agreed with everything written in any given issue of the magazine, it would only mean that you are not doing your jobs. But whether it is your commitment to a fair shot for working Americans, or equality for all Americans, it is heartening to know that an American institution dedicated to provocative, reasoned debate and reflection in pursuit of those ideals can continue to thrive."

I can attest to some epic arguments in the Nation, Christopher Hitchens fighting with Gore Vidal, great clashes of egos who knew how to think and write. Gore Vidal also clashed with William F Buckley on the pages of the Nation and wrote an astonishingly vituperative but delicious essay "A Distasteful Encounter with William F. Buckley, Jr." Nowadays, we do not have great minds clashing, we have less-than-great minds sniping, but still . . . read! Expose yourself to many arguments and perspectives!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Currently, the only corporate-free reader-supported nonprofit news organization is Mother Jones, who does not answer to any corporate overlord and does not have take orders from advertisers. They are well-despised by people who do not offer much of an argument as to why. Mother Jones issues original reported content seven days a week, a whole lot more commitment and investment than many news organizations that pluck and recycle AP and Reuters and NYT articles.
I mentioned Mother Jones in an earlier post, and agree with you about its value. I pointed out then that while assaults have been made on its political stances, its research is of a high standard. No "fake news" there, except in the current administration's definition of "fake news," which is stuff that Trump doesn't believe and therefore wants you not to believe either, regardless of whatever factual content it has.
The Nation is the oldest continuously published weekly magazine in the United States, having been founded in 1865.
It is the most widely read weekly journal of progressive political and cultural news, opinion, and analysis.
Barack Obama had this to say:

"In an era of instant, 140-character news cycles and reflexive toeing of the party line, it's incredible to think of the 150-year history of The Nation. It's more than a magazine — it's a crucible of ideas forged in the time of Emancipation, tempered through depression and war and the civil-rights movement, and honed as sharp and relevant as ever in an age of breathtaking technological and economic change. "

<snip>

I can attest to some epic arguments in the Nation, Christopher Hitchens fighting with Gore Vidal, great clashes of egos who knew how to think and write. Gore Vidal also clashed with William F Buckley on the pages of the Nation and wrote an astonishingly vituperative but delicious essay "A Distasteful Encounter with William F. Buckley, Jr." Nowadays, we do not have great minds clashing, we have less-than-great minds sniping, but still . . . read! Expose yourself to many arguments and perspectives!
Again, I agree.

I had lunch a week ago with a conservative friend of mine, a ninety-five year old man who was one of my father's best friends. (George is a former Fellow of the Hoover Institution, so his credentials as a conservative are pretty solid.) He agreed that the conservative spirit of Buckley and Goldwater is dead in the water now, and that there is no longer any hope of civil discourse between people of opposing viewpoints. Even though he is in sympathy with much of the right-wing agenda, he finds its current standard bearers to be incompetent to be in government because they simply have no interest in such a dialog. The latest bill to prevent a government shut-down was a case in point; the 2000+ page bill was rushed to a vote before anybody could even read the whole thing, let alone debate its content.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:00 pm

JLT wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:16 am

I had lunch a week ago with a conservative friend of mine, a ninety-five year old man. Even though he is in sympathy with much of the right-wing agenda, he finds its current standard bearers to be incompetent to be in government because they simply have no interest in such a dialog. The latest bill to prevent a government shut-down was a case in point; the 2000+ page bill was rushed to a vote before anybody could even read the whole thing, let alone debate its content.

Dang tootin' by cracky.

I am poised to become my own version of a crank. It is a desperate measure arrived at by a furious love of my country. I have no patience for lousy thoughtless arguments or needless contrariness. We adults all know the difference between a passionate, informed, thoughtful defense of one's convictions, beliefs, opinions, or perspectives, and a mindless parrot troll vomiting garbage spewed by a pundit on a self-proclaimed "entertainment" network.

I am closer to the middle of the above continuum than I'd like to admit.
Colin

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm

WSJ has a viewpoint, as they all do. But the depth of reporting on issues of the economy that actually affect us is well worth it. They are the outlet that broke the Stormy Daniels pay-off story, which may be what eventually ensnares Trump (since the whole Russia collusion thing has turned out to be nothing except a good excuse to dig into every corner of Trump's history)

The New York times infuriates me, and I threaten to cancel my subscription on a regular basis. Their well documented strategy of "flooding the zone", having half a dozen stories a day covering "the narrative" from several angles, is transparent and dishonest. But I have learned to focus on the good things, like well-funded overseas reporting, and ignore the crap.

The Economist is my favorite. They don't always turn out to be right, but the analysis is deep and written intelligently.

I've given up on cable news. MSNBC has learned from Fox that money can be made feeding people stories that reinforce their beliefs. Not exactly lies, but stories chosen and facts selectively emphasized that create a dishonest view. If you've ever flipped between the two networks, you'd swear they were from different planets.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 pm

(since the whole Russia collusion thing has turned out to be nothing except a good excuse to dig into every corner of Trump's history)
Any proper non-partisan investigation should look at every corner of his and his family's history. Besides, the terms of Mueller's investigation will not preclude him from prosecuting crimes as he finds them. Nor should it.

wanderer
I'm New!

Post by wanderer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 am

tommu wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 pm
(since the whole Russia collusion thing has turned out to be nothing except a good excuse to dig into every corner of Trump's history)
Any proper non-partisan investigation should look at every corner of his and his family's history. Besides, the terms of Mueller's investigation will not preclude him from prosecuting crimes as he finds them. Nor should it.

So in other words you have no idea what " PROPER NON-PARTISAN INVESTIGATION " means UNLESS you honestly believe that the investigation is non-partisan in which case I would encourage you to :study:

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 am

Please educate me.

wanderer
I'm New!

Post by wanderer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 am

tommu, do you believe the goings on pertaining to the FISA warrant are bi-partisan ?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 am

wanderer wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 am
tommu, do you believe the goings on pertaining to the FISA warrant are bi-partisan ?
Well, not to prosecute already debunked talking points but:

a) Carter Page has been on the FBI watch list since 2013

b) FISA warrants have to be re-authorized every six months

c) and have been reliably signed off by judges who we do NOT declare partisan flags

d) long before Trump became president!