I feel bad...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

I feel bad...

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Close friend of mine asked me to borrow the bus and take his two kids on an epic camping trip, I said, "Sure! Where do you wan to take it?" He had envisioned taking it to the U.P. ... about 800 miles round trip. Told him that he really needed to keep it within about a 200 mile radius, so in case something happens, I could be there in three hours. He was kind of crestfallen, but I explained that no one really knows how to work on these old buses, and I KNOW mine has issues. I felt bad, and gave him some suggestions that were closer. I hate saying no, but also know, that more times than not, I have to tweak something on it.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: I feel bad...

Post by asiab3 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Feel bad? I would feel bad if anybody even asked to drive mine across the parking lot without me in it. You're braver than I……
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

ryan@schassen.com
I'm New!

Post by ryan@schassen.com » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 am

Agreed, that is awfully nice you even considered it! I would have chuckled at the thought.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am

ditto here. GET YOUR OWN BUS!
1979 California Transporter

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Guys, you are being a little harsh without knowing all the details. I've known him since high school, so 30+ years, he also does track days in his pristinely maintained E36 M3, and is the only CFO that I know of that wrenches on his own cars. So he's a gearhead like the rest of us. He's also has two really cool kids...IIRC around 13 and 10, who he loves spending time with, and wants to take them on an epic camping trip. I'd trust him with my life let alone 3500 lbs of iron, aluminum and bits of rubber. Life is all about the experiences, and I want to give him and those kids that epic camping trip.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Can you come to an understanding with him - if he breaks down too far out he'll rent a U-Haul trailer and tow the bus right back to you. It does sound like you can trust the guy,

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm
Guys, you are being a little harsh without knowing all the details. I've known him since high school, so 30+ years, he also does track days in his pristinely maintained E36 M3, and is the only CFO that I know of that wrenches on his own cars. So he's a gearhead like the rest of us.
You want harsh? Why exactly are you posting this here? What is this "feeling bad" stuff? We need to know?

What are we supposed to say here if we don't know him or the details or how long you have known him or his pristinely maintained E36, are we supposed to figure it out?
There, now I feel bad, too.
Colin
(let him take the bus on the whole deal with the understanding that he must get it back to you however necessary, then let him be an adult with adult solutions. See if the M engine family man can talk air-cooled)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:52 am

I continue, in my life, to be hammered by the "no good deed goes unpunished" adage. I also detest finding myself in the position where I am hearing the words, "I'm sorry", said to me. In fact, my employees knew not say that to me, as well as, "I did the best I could". I grind my teeth at those words. So much for my hang ups. In this, I'm with Colin. Guy sounds like you trust him a bunch. Eliminate the 200 mile rule, and tell him your adult behavior expectations. You have lain the mantel of responsibility upon his shoulders. There is the possibility of uncomfortable moments ahead, and are also establishing a precedent under which other, less "adult" friends, assume your bus is available for them to take on the road. As we say in Miami, bueno suerte.

Rusty Sub
Getting Hooked!

Post by Rusty Sub » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Let him take it and get that weight off your shoulders.
You know it would make you feel better giving him an epic trip. He probably knows from you the possibility of an antique doing funny things. Sounds like he'd be responsible enough to get it towed. You could probably walk him through a fix on the side of the road. Load him up with spares and tools. Sounds like your friends happiness is more important then "stuff" Gotta go with your gut and have no regrets. Or would you feel worse if it did breakdown? Again he's a car guy and knows the possibility. Sometimes breaking down can be a rewarding experience in a bus. Again, you know your bus and your friend, go with your gut.
And make sure he can put in reverse without bending shit up.
a.k.a Xevin

Rusty Sub
Getting Hooked!

Post by Rusty Sub » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:32 pm

On second thought. If your friends name is Stuart. Give that some serious thought ;-)
a.k.a Xevin

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm
Close friend of mine asked me to borrow the bus and take his two kids on an epic camping trip, I said, "Sure! Where do you wan to take it?" He had envisioned taking it to the U.P. ... about 800 miles round trip.
You know, my brother in Sonoma made the same sort of comment with me ... he wanted to borrow my bus so he could go up to Washington when the solar eclipse went through. Of course, he'd owned a bus before, and he knew that his mechanics skills weren't up to it, so he was only half serious.

If he were serious, would I have let him? I dunno. On the one hand, I know he'd be good with getting it towed back to a garage I was comfortable with, and that he'd be honest with the expenses. On the other hand, I need the bus back here in Sacramento the next week, because I'm going to a show at the end of the month.

So, in the balance, I would probably have turned him down. If he still wants to borrow it for shorter trips, I think I'd be good with that, though.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 pm

You want harsh? Why exactly are you posting this here? What is this "feeling bad" stuff? We need to know?

What are we supposed to say here if we don't know him or the details or how long you have known him or his pristinely maintained E36, are we supposed to figure it out?
I think the part where I said he was a close friend should have been sufficient enough without going into specific details. And I'm am sorry if I posted in the wrong forum...ie "posting it here" as far as "You want harsh?" This may very well be my last post on this forum.

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Rusty Sub wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:32 pm
On second thought. If your friends name is Stuart. Give that some serious thought ;-)
Ha!
Colin :blackeye:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm
I think the part where I said he was a close friend should have been sufficient enough without going into specific details.
And I'm am sorry if I posted in the wrong forum...
I am just confused Mike. What I am saying is, you have the information that we don't have. How can we be helpful or harsh if we are not informed of this person? Why did you label the people who responded "harsh"? Some said they wouldn't let anyone drive it across a parking lot much less 800 miles. That's just them. Some people would say "sure!" like you did.

Why did you post this? It is a question asked only in confusion. Your forum choice was FINE.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 am

Ah, Mike, don't take it so hard. You posted your thoughts here, knowing that people would certainly weigh in on them. Perhaps you put them down in print in order to help yourself sort out the dilemma you were facing with your friend. Also, your friend's description of the proposed camping trip being "epic" could have clued you in that perhaps he meant a long trip. We don't know what the "issues" are with your bus, and the degree of severity, but that certainly enters into the equation here. You have posted, on this forum, a topic that is really about your emotional conflict as regards your good friend's request. In doing so, please remain open to the many possible responses that may come your way. Such is the nature of forums, and human behavior. This forum is pretty much composed of thoughtful, and well balanced folks, as everyone is an air cooled aficionado. Of course, that's a matter of opinion, too.