drove the Ghia

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

drove the Ghia

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 am

As it was sunny in Seattle I decided to drive the Ghia for the first time in a year. Charged up the battery and she started right up. Washed her in the sunshine and then drove around Seattle marveling at the totally basic driving feel of this 1970 car. Thank God the heat works good as it was cold to me since I am only 3 days from living in 90F all the time. Guess I better go renew the tags! The car still draws attention when I drive around as it stands out in the Seattle SUV car crowd like a alien.....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: drove the Ghia

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 am

Bleyseng wrote:Guess I better go renew the tags!
Renew it as a collector vehicle and this will be the last time you have to do it. Collector vehicles are permanent registrations. Your vehicle and the way you drive it certainly meet the qualifications.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Good idea!
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I've been toying with collector plates, but bus and ghia are our drivers, so I'm chicken.

cluck
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Come on out of the coop, you'll be fine.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:00 pm

On PJ's suggestion, I registered both our Beetle and our Riviera as collector vehicles. I left my wife's '70 as a "normal" vehicle as it is her daily-driver. I'm pretty sure I could get away with it, but I figure I can pay my fair share for her daily and my daily (Chevy Pickup) and get the other two for free (starting next year).
- Dick

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Followed your advice and changed the Ghia to a Collector Car, woohoo. Pumped up the tires and then drove it in the pouring Seattle rain on Thursday. Two leaks which wasn't too bad as its a convertible and I have only changed a few of the roof seals so far...They are a real pain to install and set up right..
But the heat works fairly well and she drives nice plus people at stop lites roll down their windows and ask if its for sale.... :fart: I'd sell it but my wife lo v e s the damn car. It is weird to drive around surrounded by huge SUV and pickups going down the road in this little low 70's car. Atleast not everybody is passing me to cut in front of me like the bus.
Geoff

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I've noticed that too. Psychologically people seem to have to pass my bus, while the ghia doesn't seem to generate that same need. Maybe because it looks fast.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Bleyseng wrote:As it was sunny in Seattle I decided to drive the Ghia for the first time in a year. Charged up the battery and she started right up. Washed her in the sunshine and then drove around Seattle marveling at the totally basic driving feel of this 1970 car. Thank God the heat works good as it was cold to me since I am only 3 days from living in 90F all the time. Guess I better go renew the tabs! The car still draws attention when I drive around as it stands out in the Seattle SUV car crowd like a alien.....
Pictures of the sleek sexy Ghia?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Followed your advice and changed the Ghia to a Collector Car, woohoo.
... and the best part, you don't need a front plate anymore! Makes the front nice and clean.
- Dick

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Bleyseng wrote: Atleast not everybody is passing me to cut in front of me like the bus.
I think it is the SUVs whom like to always be above all and see all. The bus takes this away from them. They must pass us. Get in front of us. Block our view. Spray crap onto our windshield.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:20 am

dtrumbo wrote:On PJ's suggestion, I registered both our Beetle and our Riviera as collector vehicles. I left my wife's '70 as a "normal" vehicle as it is her daily-driver. I'm pretty sure I could get away with it, but I figure I can pay my fair share for her daily and my daily (Chevy Pickup) and get the other two for free (starting next year).
What are your collector rules there? Only restriction here is that you can't drive it in January... which I wouldn't want to do anyway. Just curious.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:56 am

This from the Washington State Department of Licensing.

• To use collector plates, vehicles must be:

* More than 30 years old.
    * Capable of operating on the highway.
    * Owned and operated as collector vehicles.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

* To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
    * For testing purposes.
    * For the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

* Commercial purposes or to carry a load.
    * Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

License plate requirements

Collector license plates:

* May be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks.
    * Are good for the life of vehicle.
    * Aren’t required to display month/year tab.
    * Aren’t renewed annually.
    * Must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (You must provide your restored or current license plates. If you provide a set, the collector vehicle plates may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle).
I love that I can drive my car to circuses. I take that to mean I can drive it to work.

My other ace-in-the-hole is the "For the pleasure of others without compensation". The sheer fact of my vehicle being on the road surely brings pleasure to others and so far, no one has thrown any money out their window at me. :geek:
- Dick

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:10 am

dtrumbo wrote: The sheer fact of my vehicle being on the road surely brings pleasure to others and so far, no one has thrown any money out their window at me. :geek:
So if I slid you a buck through the window and said "Nice car, it pleases me.", you would be breaking the law? Funky.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:02 am

before I did a bunch of work on her.

Yesterday in the sun with my hipstamatic camera
Geoff