Colin gave me a 78 taigagrün bus (locoqueso IAC visit 2010)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

locoqueso
Addicted!

Colin gave me a 78 taigagrün bus (locoqueso IAC visit 2010)

Post by locoqueso » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 pm

On Tuesday, Colin stopped by for the 2010 IAC visit. We quickly made our way to the kitchen for coffee and a review of my list. #7 and last on the list was a broken “Fuel Tank Sender Unit”. It stopped working last year, shortly after replacing the fuel lines. I did not have it in me this year to drop the engine and dig back in there behind the firewall. I really just added the fuel sender to the list as an FYI, but Colin decided that would be first thing we look at. I gulped my coffee and we headed out to see the 78 Westy parked in the garage.

My stomach sank as I imagined us dropping the engine and having no time to get through the rest of my list. I really wanted to hit item #1, “Hesitation, Bucking & Stalling on Acceleration” first to make sure we had time to fix it. The problem has been plaguing my 78 Sage Green bus for over a year and I was worried we might not get to it. Colin wasn’t as worried so we started with the sender unit. He asked me if I understood that we would have to drop the engine for this task. Colin, wondering aloud, then asked if I thought we could replace the sender unit without dropping the tank??? Oh yeah, I had nothing to lose since the fuel gauge wasn’t working anyway. Let’s try it!

After removing the firewall and surrounding hoses, it wasn’t more than just a few minutes before Colin was able to twist his arm over the top of the tank and remove the sender unit. This was all with the engine still in place. A quick test of the old unit confirmed it was faulty and a few minutes later Colin had the new sender installed and we were putting the firewall back together again. I was amazed and grateful considering we still had the entire day ahead of us.

We then went through the rest of my 2010 IAC list:

1. Hesitation, bucking, & stalling on acceleration
2. “Humming” from engine compartment
3. Steering box drip
4. Confirm alternator belt tension
5. “Pre-Trip” check
6. Replace rear shocks
7. Fuel tank sender unit

We could now focus on the first item on my list, engine hesitation. Colin asked me what I thought could be causing the problem and we talked over several possibilities. It didn’t take long for Colin to find that the AAR elbow was badly cracked and leaking. I checked the same hose myself last year and I didn’t notice any problems. That was another lesson in why I shouldn’t assume something wasn’t broken because it looked good the last time I inspected it. We weren’t sure if this would fix the problem, but Colin seemed very optimistic.

We then moved down the rest of the list, adding in a couple extra tasks along the way. This included adjusting the AFM, replacing the rear shocks, identifying the "humming" noise (which turned out to be my new fuel pump), checking the front wheel bearings, lubricating and adjusting the shifter stop plate, pre-trip check, and I’m sure a couple other things were mixed in there. We also squeezed in a little lunch and cookies in the afternoon. During our work, Colin noted a few things I need to do on my own, such as: replacing the front bushing (missing), fill the steering box (leaking), and repack the wheel bearings. Before I knew it we were getting close to the 10 hour mark and it was time to start wrapping up the annual visit.

Sometime during the day Colin asked me how I liked my Taiga Green Westy. I quickly corrected him and said I loved my Sage Green Westy. Colin again tried to tell me that my bus was Taiga, just like the BobD. I could feel myself perk up as I was about to teach the master about the Sage Green used by VW on the 1978 buses. I have prided myself in the beautiful Sage Green color of my bus. It’s been my favorite since I was a kid and first saw the Campmobiles parked on the Volkswagen lot in the late 70’s. Colin just smiled and asked me to check out the color code on his bus. Tucked behind the driver’s seat was a sticker with the words “taigagrün L-63-H” printed on it. He then walked back to my bus and showed me the same sticker hidden behind the seat. I couldn’t believe it. I was 110% certain I had a Sage Green Westy, but apparently VW thought otherwise when they marked mine as Taigagrün. I still think something is fishy. I’ve seen Sage Green referenced in too many VW printings.

Thanks for your help Colin and my new Taigagrün bus. I’ll find out tomorrow if the engine hesitation problem is gone. I hope to be able to report the good news soon. Have a safe journey...

BobD, locoqueso, Amskeptic, Wilson
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 am

Awesome! I didn't think the sender could be reached without pulling the engine and fuel tank.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 am

How about this: you're both right! Sage green=Taiga green? Scroll to the bottom at L63H:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... stype2.php
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:00 am

Hippie wrote:Awesome! I didn't think the sender could be reached without pulling the engine and fuel tank.
I didn't either. It took some careful navigating, but Colin found the one spot (left side of the engine compartment) and angle that allowed him to remove the sender unit without dropping the engine.

whc03grady wrote:Sage green=Taiga green?
That's what I was wondering too. Was Sage the name used in the US marketing materials? I have an old dealer brochure and it lists Sage Green as the color.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:28 am

whc03grady wrote:Sage green=Taiga green?
That's what I was wondering too. Was Sage the name used in the US marketing materials? I have an old dealer brochure and it lists Sage Green as the color.[/quote]

That is correct.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 am

locoqueso wrote: ...but Colin found the one spot (left side of the engine compartment) and angle that allowed him to remove the sender unit without dropping the engine.
I never met anybody that knew every hidden cubic inch of a bus like him.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

Hippie wrote:Awesome! I didn't think the sender could be reached without pulling the engine and fuel tank.
If you've got a handy dealer-installed (or PO hacked-in) cover plate, it's easy peasy one two threesy.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I took a 4 hour round trip this weekend to test out the bus. This was the first long drive since Colin was here on 6/1. No hesitation or bucking at all. Fixing the crack in the AAR elbow may have solved the problem. Typically the hesitation on acceleration would start up within an hour of driving. The bus ran smoothly the entire time. I'll post back if anything changes, but so far so good.

I was able to make my way up scenic route 2, along the Rock river. It was a beautiful drive along the back roads with Gato as a co-pilot. We stopped along the way to look around near the Byron Nuclear Generating Station.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 pm

locoqueso wrote:I took a 4 hour round trip bus ran smoothly the entire time.
Glad to hear it.

I am on a war path to track down this paint. L63H is indeed the code that shows up for Taigagruen whatever and Sage Green both. But when I see the BobD next to the Sage Green Westfalias, it sure does look to be a brighter yellowy brownish greenish with grey blush.

Your little taigagruen is definitely BobD complementary, and I believe it has to do with the fact that it too is a stunningly original paint job that is actually better than the BobD as far as touch-ups and mismatches. I think we might find that repaints abound, and they miss the complexity of the original color.

Your cats are gorgeous, and I was totally surprised to see one in your bus at the nuclear power plant.

And Yes We Can . . . We can replace fuel sender units in an hour on late model buses, "please send a SASE to . . . :cyclopsani: "
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

daninghram
Addicted!

Post by daninghram » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 am

I think it must have been a Jedi mind trick :flower: :flower:
Sounds like a great day!
You kids get off my lawn

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 am

daninghram wrote:...Sounds like a great day!
It was a great day. This was my third visit with Colin and the first year I wasn't too nervous to enjoy it. I'm a mechanical idiot, but I think the knowledge from Colin is finally sinking into my thick skull.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 am

At least he calls your bus color by its proper name. I can't say what he calls mine, due to my Mennonite,Methodist,Mormon and any other M named religion you may think of upbringing. I guess he's one of those purist types that we all run into occasionally.

Though I do look forward into running him to again in Maupin, I'll just turn a deaf ear to his color description of my bus.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 am

pj wrote:At least he calls your bus color by its proper name. I can't say what he calls mine, due to my Mennonite,Methodist,Mormon and any other M named religion you may think of upbringing. I guess he's one of those purist types that we all run into occasionally.

Though I do look forward into running him to again in Maupin, I'll just turn a deaf ear to his color description of my bus.
Candy Apple Red? What, your upbringing doesn't allow you to mention those decadent desserts?
:blackeye:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 am

locoqueso wrote:
daninghram wrote:...Sounds like a great day!
It was a great day. This was my third visit with Colin and the first year I wasn't too nervous to enjoy it. I'm a mechanical idiot, but I think the knowledge from Colin is finally sinking into my thick skull.
Not really thick, just a bit more on one side than the other . . .
:blackeye:

See how this original Taigagruen glows radioactive yellow in the light?

Then it mellows out to a nice brownish grey green in the shade:

And the Taiga dapples in the dappled light, as seen here with your LocoSkeptic Founding Fuel Tank Sender Replacement Team:

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:41 pm

So... I have replaced the gas tank without dropping the engine... but replacing the sender unit without removing the gas tank? really? I thought it was a little recessed in there... If you guys can tell me how you did this a little more descriptively then maybe I will try it. I need a new gas gauge, but wasn't looking forward to pulling the tank to do it!