Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From New Mexico

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Runamuck Bus wrote:Is it me or does this guy get caught in his CK's too often?
Naaah. Once with the Border Patrol where I just did not care in the slightest, it was too hot, period.

But this time I was embarrassed. Call it progress, call it all shame.
52* daytime high here in Los Alamos, no danger of see CK's CKs, 'kay?
Colin :alien:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:21 am

I am glad you opted to take the Bob D for a good ride. Bob would want you to.
79 VW Bus

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:11 am

I had the privilege of being the site for the kickoff for Colin's 2010 tour. We resurrected the someday-to-be-fabulous '73 Deluxe Westy, after having sat doing nothing for years. Once the mouse nests and their overpowering odeur are removed, this one will be so sweet. We decided that indeed it is bus #9 off the 1973 VW assembly line.

We also got the pickup running much better, firming up the vacuum connections to the side of the S-boot and properly adjusting the brakes. It is running very nicely now, and the RHD is sooo fun to drive.

And, finally, we took the '77 Westy out for an evaluation spin. Once the exhaust leaks are patched up, this one could also be a decent runner. I found the original window sticker in the glove box, as well as the name and address of the original owner. They bought the bus in 1977, had much fun for several years, and still live at the same address embossed on the original VW owner card. I've never been able to contact an original owner before.

All in all a very productive bus day. Thanks, Colin, and good luck on this years' tour!
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 am

jtauxe wrote:I had the privilege of being the site for the kickoff for Colin's 2010 tour. We resurrected the someday-to-be-fabulous '73 Deluxe Westy, after having sat doing nothing for years. Once the mouse nests and their overpowering odeur are removed, this one will be so sweet. We decided that indeed it is bus #9 off the 1973 VW assembly line.

We also got the pickup running much better, firming up the vacuum connections to the side of the S-boot and properly adjusting the brakes. It is running very nicely now, and the RHD is sooo fun to drive.

And, finally, we took the '77 Westy out for an evaluation spin. Once the exhaust leaks are patched up, this one could also be a decent runner. I found the original window sticker in the glove box, as well as the name and address of the original owner. They bought the bus in 1977, had much fun for several years, and still live at the same address embossed on the original VW owner card. I've never been able to contact an original owner before.

All in all a very productive bus day. Thanks, Colin, and good luck on this years' tour!
Why thank you John, thanks for putting up with my incessant draw towards the piano. I gots more pictures to upload when I carve out the time.
ColinInMostBeautifulNewMexico
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:I am glad you opted to take the Bob D for a good ride. Bob would want you to.
x2+

CK - you being on the road and sending digests back to us working stiffs truly is soul medicine!! =D> =D> =D>
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Interesting somewhat related story in NYT today. I'm sometimes tempted to just run away and go live off the grid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/us/19mesa.html