Up yours! Unless you're right...

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Post Reply
User avatar
dhoch14
Old School!
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: SW Portland, OR
Status: Offline

Up yours! Unless you're right...

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Tomorrow I am going to be adjusting the rear brakes as my E-brake no longer works.

Colin told me this doing an adjustment at our last IAC visit "when adjusting the rear stars, UP YOURS! Unless you're right.

So, on the left star, move it up to push out, unless it's the right, you push down.

just thought I'd pass that lil CK tip to those who have a hard time remembering (like me!)
73 AT Bay. 1.8L | dual solexes | rivi bed | rusted exhaust tip | sqeeky horn | crappy awesome boxes

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 23060
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Up yours! Unless you're right...

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:19 pm

dhoch14 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to be adjusting the rear brakes as my E-brake no longer works.

Colin told me this doing an adjustment at our last IAC visit "when adjusting the rear stars, UP YOURS! Unless you're right.

So, on the left star, move it up to push out, unless it's the right, you push down.

just thought I'd pass that lil CK tip to those who have a hard time remembering (like me!)
Up with the handle of the screwdriver as it pries the star edges in a downward direction inside the adjustment hole on the left, yes. Down with the handle of the screwdriver on the right.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 91 414 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Ritter
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Status: Offline

Post by Ritter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:39 am

Even with that trick, I've resorted to cleaning up the rear of my backing plates and drawing little arrows with a sharpie.... I'm hopeless. :compress:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

User avatar
Mark
Getting Hooked!
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:07 pm
Location: Sooke, BC
Contact:
Status: Offline

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 am

Ritter wrote:Even with that trick, I've resorted to cleaning up the rear of my backing plates and drawing little arrows with a sharpie.... I'm hopeless. :compress:
I will take your idea and make it my own :pirate:
Nothing more fun than lying on your side under the rear of the bus, using your hands to mimic the rightsy-tightsy motions to re-figure it out.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy
aka the "Hoover Bit" repro guy

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 23060
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Ritter wrote:Even with that trick, I've resorted to cleaning up the rear of my backing plates and drawing little arrows with a sharpie.... I'm hopeless. :compress:
Stop. That is a symptom of a skippy mind that needs practice with focusing. Get under the bus and do nothing but stare at the adjustment holes. With great relaxation, visualize the handle direction as specified and let your mind follow it into the adjustment hole and visualize the little star wheel turning and "watch" the bolt that pushes the shoe get squirted out as you turn the star wheel. Then don't ever forget.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 91 414 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Ritter
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Status: Offline

Post by Ritter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Ritter wrote:Even with that trick, I've resorted to cleaning up the rear of my backing plates and drawing little arrows with a sharpie.... I'm hopeless. :compress:
Stop. That is a symptom of a skimpy mind that needs practice with focusing. Get under the bus and do nothing but stare at the adjustment holes. With great relaxation, visualize the handle direction as specified and let your mind follow it into the adjustment hole and visualize the little star wheel turning and "watch" the bolt that pushes the shoe get squirted out as you turn the star wheel. Then don't ever forget.
Colin
Colin says: =; [-X

I say: :oops:

The rest of yall can play me a tiny :-({|=

Consider my lazy ass spanked. :blackeye: But at least I caught his typo! Or maybe I really do have a "skippy" mind. Dunno.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

User avatar
hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite
Posts: 14764
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Portland, Ore.
Status: Offline

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Stop. That is a symptom of a skippy mind that needs practice with focusing. Get under the bus and do nothing but stare at the adjustment holes. With great relaxation, visualize the handle direction as specified and let your mind follow it into the adjustment hole and visualize the little star wheel turning and "watch" the bolt that pushes the shoe get squirted out as you turn the star wheel. Then don't ever forget.
Colin
I do this too. Every time. :colors:
I think visualizing how things work ensures that they....work!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

User avatar
jtauxe
Getting Hooked!
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Lost Almost, NM
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Up yours! Unless you're right...

Post by jtauxe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to be adjusting the rear brakes as my E-brake no longer works.

Colin told me this doing an adjustment at our last IAC visit "when adjusting the rear stars, UP YOURS! Unless you're right.

So, on the left star, move it up to push out, unless it's the right, you push down.

just thought I'd pass that lil CK tip to those who have a hard time remembering (like me!)
Up with the handle of the screwdriver as it pries the star edges in a downward direction inside the adjustment hole on the left, yes. Down with the handle of the screwdriver on the right.
Colin
Well, so much for that mnemonic. It sounds like it got remembered backwards. Up with the screwdriver handle is the opposite of up with the star at the tip. Lesson learned: Forget the mnemonics. Examine the situation and figure it out each time if necessary.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Posts: 23060
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am
Status: Offline

Re: Up yours! Unless you're right...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 am

jtauxe wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
dhoch14 wrote:Tomorrow I am going to be adjusting the rear brakes as my E-brake no longer works.

Colin told me this doing an adjustment at our last IAC visit "when adjusting the rear stars, UP YOURS! Unless you're right.

So, on the left star, move it up to push out, unless it's the right, you push down.

just thought I'd pass that lil CK tip to those who have a hard time remembering (like me!)
Up with the handle of the screwdriver as it pries the star edges in a downward direction inside the adjustment hole on the left, yes. Down with the handle of the screwdriver on the right.
Colin
Well, so much for that mnemonic. It sounds like it got remembered backwards. Up with the screwdriver handle is the opposite of up with the star at the tip. Lesson learned: Forget the mnemonics. Examine the situation and figure it out each time if necessary.
RITTER! I said S-K-I-P-P-Y mind as in "dancing with thought". I would never put down anyone here with such an insult as "skimpy" are you kidding? I am the one who is getting the skimpy mind as my brain cells fall to GumOut.

Jtauxe, you cannot rotate anything up or down. It just rotates. But you can shove a screwdriver handle up and down. Up yours! . . . unless you are right. (this mnemonic brought to you by spiffy circa 2005)
ColinPoliteBronxCabDriver
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 91 414 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Ritter
IAC Addict!
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Status: Offline

Re: Up yours! Unless you're right...

Post by Ritter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote: RITTER! I said S-K-I-P-P-Y mind as in "dancing with thought". I would never put down anyone here with such an insult as "skimpy" are you kidding? I am the one who is getting the skimpy mind as my brain cells fall to GumOut.
=D>
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Post Reply

Return to “Brakes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests