00 The Great 2020 Miami Caper (in ten parts)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, Jivermo

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

00 The Great 2020 Miami Caper (in ten parts)

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Folks, we are stuck in this Nationwide Sequester for a bit. I have been so amazingly remiss in keeping this forum alive and populated with Itinerary visits, that I wondered if it might slip into a somnambulent coma.

Do not fear. We have a story coming your way that to this day amazes the principal participants, and as we have compared notes and photographs, none of can believe that it actually happened.
It happened.

Life is big, life is serious, grab it! go! life bestows its blessings in unexpected ways! All of us who survived the Great 2020 Miami Caper have a new recognition that the interplay between our plans and outside circumstances, the interplay between what we thought were the limits our capabilities and some quick-breaking sometimes discouraging obstacles, the interplay between the participation of these people in this enormous undertaking and our own individual experiences of it, has yielded a Greater Understanding Of It All.

We have, to a person, declared that if we knew what was coming, we would have trotted out our innumerable excuses to just avoid the whole damn thing. Well, what did we know? What do any of us know? Bowed and bloodied though we are, we would not do it differently. We are changed as humans. Heck, I am 25 pounds less of the human I was before of all of this ...

I wrote that this is coming in ten parts. It may be more. It is a complex tale of many interlocking parts that unfolded between January 5th and March 5th with an epilogue that stretches the story past March 30th, we're going there. It includes mechanical mayhem, it includes an evolving love story, it addresses several technical mysteries and sought-after solutions under trying circumstances, it includes wind and water and compressed air, snippy exchanges, dirt, paint, GumOut, stupid-ass smart phones, beyond-belief exhaustion, a rat named Templeton saved from certain death, and some beautiful people who stepped up to help, like Debbie at Bus Depot, and even taciturn Joe at Elite Machine Shop, and we even got kissed by the preliminary panic of the current pandemic.

If you see Ian McIntyre (Jivermo), Kit Whistler, Robbie McCarthy (asiab3), Marc Kramer (exoticdvm), tell them I said hey.

This is a serial novella that you can stop by and check in for developments over the next several weeks. Get the word out. This needs to be read.
Colin

( next installment 01 : viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14002#p234777 )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: 0 The Great 2020 Miami Caper (in ten parts)

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:56 am

Watching the posts as it unfolded, we could tell something special and unique was happening. I'm looking forward to reading "the rest of the story"!!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Post by BusBassist » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:48 am

Folks, we are stuck in this Nationwide Sequester for a bit. I have been so amazingly remiss in keeping this forum alive and populated with Itinerary visits, that I wondered if it might slip into a somnambulent coma.

I’m so glad the sun is rising on this forum. I miss the engaging tales of Colin’s adventures. And look forward to opportunities for further instruction about the revitalization and upkeep of our beloved Volkswagens.

Be Well.

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2020 1:41 pm

( place holder )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles