2020 Initial Interest Gauge

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, Jivermo

keithebbert
I'm New!

Re: 2020 Initial Interest Gauge

Post by keithebbert » Tue May 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Colin,

Much appreciate the ideas. Here are my results and other observations that might be of interest.

1. My tach only reads up to 1200 for 8 cyl. So I understand that means 2400 RPM for my bus. I'll have to wait a few days before I can reliably get her to 3400 RPM's for your test.
2. My vacuum on the distributor only has 1 hose terminal instead of 2. My throttle has two with the one at the front (front of bus) connected to my distributor and the other closed off.

Baseline: When I first tried to get her to start she would not. I had to turn my idle screw 1/2 turn CCW to get her to start. After, At idle when I first started the engine Tach: about 1600 - 1700 and Advance was 20degrees with retard. It was also 20 degrees without retard hose.

Test one, i manually pushed the throttle to 1200 and advance moved to 24 degrees with the retard hose. I then manually pushed the throttle to 1200 and advance moved to 32 without retard hose.

Test two, I screwed the throttle value CW to slow the RPM and once I hit below 1200 she puttered a little (not backfire) shuts down on me.

Will start up with accelerator (wants air I guess). I have not completed the Potentiometer tests as I understand I should wait for my timing to be better set? Maybe not?

Thanks.

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Fri May 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi Colin,

Update: Changed out some hoses just in case I had a vacuum leak. They were 20+ yrs old anyway.

Finally got around to messing with my AFM based on your write up.

So I could move the wiper 1/2" both CW and CCW with 0 impact to the engine. I then attempted to apply downward pressure to the wiper to ensure that I had contact to the board with no affect on the engine up to 1/2".

I had previously tested all the connections at the Sensor connection and they were within spec for resistance on my VOM.

Assuming I need to purchase a new AFM due to no impact with the wiper but wanted to get your opinion with my VOM settings within spec.

Thanks
Keith

renobdarb
I'm New!

Post by renobdarb » Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Hello Colin. I may be interested in a day in Victor, ID, on your way to or from Livingston, Mont. Do you know yet when you may be in that vicinity?
1978 Campmobile, 2000cc w/hydro lifters, dual Weber 44 IDF carbs (50 idle jets, 115 main jets), SVDA distributor w/Compufire.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2020 1:43 pm

renobdarb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 pm
Hello Colin. I may be interested in a day in Victor, ID, on your way to or from Livingston, Mont. Do you know yet when you may be in that vicinity?
I do not yet know. We are all following this pandemic carefully and must do a risk-assessment/protocol agreement before visiting. But yes, I am itching to get out on the road.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 116,898 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 84,465 miles