Itinerant Air-Cooled OH Detroit

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled OH Detroit

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 am

Oh Detroit ... but first, Ohio. We missed vwlover77 social call (maybe October?) in Cleveland and made off for Toledo to visit 1funbug again. Why? Why, to replace a brake master cylinder where I eyed his nice brake booster with nefarious intent (mine is pretty much shot at this point). We have been doing a lot of brakes this Itinerary. We also knocked out a front shift rod bushing, seeing as we were in the vicinity.

"What jack stands shall we use?" asked 1funnybug.

1funbug has a very nice 1977 Westy with a very nice floorboard and a very nice brake booster that works:

We detached the reservoir from the master cylinder in situ so as not to disturb the plastic upper reservoir hose and sleeve where it goes over the lower reservoir nipple. Good call. Much easier to pry off the master cylinder under the car.

Here, we are using the MightyVac to suck out the brake fluid that had accumulated inside the brake canister. We sprayed the interior of the booster with WD-40 to displace hygroscopic brake fluid residue that could cause rust that might destroy the booster control valve, not that NaranjaWesty needed any such excuse to fail:

There was a brief discussion about installing these new Jopex (name change merely a Dansk feint to escape their sordid past history of exceedingly terrible exhaust parts) brake light switches. We re-installed the original VW-Audi switches:

Had a nice test drive up the road, smooth engine, good brakes, nice booster, and was on my way.
Cognitive Dissonance Central:

With a fair amount of loathing, I pondered the next leg of the journey to Detroit, Detroit of Michigan fame, Michigan of Moonscape Roads fame, Moonscape of Mangled Volkswagen Suspension fame. Within miles of crossing into the Michigan, the interstate looked like it was in pretty good condition (!) but it developed a jarring cadence of heaves from who knows what error of concrete pouring.

Then we arrived at the next segment of interstate (different contractor) which had substantial erosion at each expansion joint edge due to a failed seal operation that I remember from years past where dislodged black seal ribbons snaked across the road willy-nilly. I pulled off and lowered my tire pressures to 33/42 to relieve some of the beating poor Naranja was taking. Pulled onto Harper from I-94E or whatever to get a taste of the hood:

Wondered if Sunset Liquor might take the edge off my jarring traversal:

This is how post-industrial America remakes itself:

You just keep at it there, Jim Martin Chevrolet ... :

Arrived at TrollFromDownBelow's house and de-compressed from the reflexive road impact winces while he finished a Very Important Conference Call from within the confines of his BMW 330 out there in the new rain shower. We repaired to the garage to mike the crankshaft with his never-opened micrometer, and to discuss the myriad of sequential steps involved in an engine overhaul:

We had company ... a gaggle of Harleys:

... and discussed jackstands:

You may not know it, but Troll and I go way back. Our first appointment was back in 2006 or something. We did a fourteen hour day swapping in an engine in 2007. He wrote on this very forum:
Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am
<snip>
Colin put in one of his marathon 14 hour days....he really wanted to see it to completion (ie fire it up), but I had to go to work...had to have at least 3 hrs of sleep :).

Cheers,
Mike
Well, now it is 2019. I guess old age is beginning to find me ...

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled OH Detroit

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:09 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 am
We missed vwlover77 social call (maybe October?)
Keep me posted!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:41 am

That phone also appears to be from 2007.

I am enjoying all the Green Busses. Colin - can we get some metrics on Bus colours this year please? Could it be that Green Busses service longer?

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Man, that red brick house, the one with the duct taped pallet barricade, out front, begs a second glance, with that second story door where that first step out is a bitch, the attic dormer combo, Lloyd Wright, no doubt, the Ali Baba jar out front, barred screen door, and on and on; perhaps next time you could stop and get an inside tour, with photographs, which we would all relish, me, for certain.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Faygo!

Did you stop and get some Red Pop?
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:51 pm
Man, that red brick house, the one with the duct taped pallet barricade, out front, begs a second glance, with that second story door where that first step out is a bitch, the attic dormer combo, Lloyd Wright, no doubt, the Ali Baba jar out front, barred screen door, and on and on; perhaps next time you could stop and get an inside tour, with photographs, which we would all relish, me, for certain.
There are hundreds of homes like that. Some still lived in and beautiful, some restore-able, some too far gone and need to be torn down.

How about a 4,300 square foot fixer upper for $2,500?
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/D ... ect/10_zm/?

Makes me very sad and angry when I see them with all the windows broken out and the weather getting in.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 pm

hippiewannabe wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:05 pm
Makes me very sad and angry when I see them with all the windows broken out and the weather getting in.
Detroit had a beautiful upper-class past. Like an old Packard changing hands too many times, some of these homes have been thoroughly hacked, but I love the architecture regardless.
Colin

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:57 am

I know the feeling. Back in the woods, here in NE Pennsylvania, I came across what was once a beautiful product of an optimistic America...a 1955 Spartan Imperial Mansion aluminum trailer. Spartans were akin to the Airstreams in quality. Vandals had shot it up with shotguns, all of the windows were smashed out, the interior suffered such indignities; it was as though whoever trashed it was enraged that it reminded them of a better time in this country.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am

I DID have another appointment in Michigan after TrollFromDownBelow.

ccpalmer and his 1971 bus had wandering steering. He had replaced everything, tie rods, center pin, steering box, a couple of them, and recently, a couple of ball joints.

Now you know that a lot of new parts makes the steering too stiff to allow the caster to work. So I was all over these new parts, and ccpalmer was telling me that these new parts have been in for up to eight years, and eventually, I am under his bus after a hard night's rain to d-i-s-a-s-s-e-m-b-l-e everything one at a time. We even jacked up and tested and drove NaranjaWesty for comparison.

I zeroed in on the new ball joints on the left side of the car as the primary culprits. We adjusted the steering box carefully, reassembled the front suspension componentry, and test drove up the jarring local roads to the smooth cummuter parking lot to see how it returned to center. It is well and truly slightly dead due to friction. Prescription: drive.

Said a little benediction for the 1977 bus sitting in the same sodden parking area, waiting, waiting to be reclaimed by the Earth:

We tore into the rear brakes because this Itinerary seems to be all about brakes. A couple of frozen adjusters almost stopped us cold, but a couple worked just enough to show us how quickly the e-brake responds to a brake adjustment. Good to meet you finally, ccpalmer!

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

Arrived at TrollFromDownBelow's house and de-compressed from the reflexive road impact winces while he finished a Very Important Conference Call from within the confines of his BMW 330 out there in the new rain shower.

We had company ... a gaggle of Harleys:

Actually the one on the left is a UJM ..universal Japanese motorcyce. These were made from the 70s until about the mid 80s before sport bikes hit the scene. I like them because they have the same honest, no frills but precise, engineering that the A/C V'dub's do. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) they do not bring any $$ returns for your efforts.. only :) :) :)

Amskeptic wrote:
You may not know it, but Troll and I go way back. Our first appointment was back in 2006 or something. We did a fourteen hour day swapping in an engine in 2007. He wrote on this very forum:
Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am
<snip>
Colin put in one of his marathon 14 hour days....he really wanted to see it to completion (ie fire it up), but I had to go to work...had to have at least 3 hrs of sleep :).

Cheers,
Mike
But you did get to see it fire up Colin... on your return trip the following year!
Amskeptic wrote:

Well, now it is 2019.

Well, I am glad you saw my text! BTW, you did forget your Bosch fuel filter from my free box.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am

[/quote]

"The pants" is the best part of that picture, if they are the now famous "Daisy Dukes"
you may consider framing them behind glass as garage wall "art" (or maybe holding an IAC auction to continue to fund this great website and all its hosting needs:
That photo literally made me laugh out loud... =D>
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Naa, the pants were his latest camo shorts (hey, it was cold and he dropped trow so he could put on some jeans). Fortunately he saw my text and was able to circle back fairly quickly.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:46 am

weisswurst wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am

"The pants" is the best part of that picture,
That photo literally made me laugh out loud... =D>
-Jeff
Oh me too, I was going to run with it, "me and Troll go way back ..." but discretion wins out more often these days.
ColinMinnesotaBorder

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 am
I DID have another appointment in Michigan after TrollFromDownBelow.

ccpalmer and his 1971 bus had wandering steering. He had replaced everything, tie rods, center pin, steering box, a couple of them, and recently, a couple of ball joints.
Prescription: drive.

We tore into the rear brakes because this Itinerary seems to be all about brakes. A couple of frozen adjusters almost stopped us cold, but a couple worked just enough to show us how quickly the e-brake responds to a brake adjustment. Good to meet you finally, ccpalmer!
Just got an email:
>From: ccpalmer

>Colin -
>Well, I did my standard 200 mile drive northwards yesterday and I couldn’t believe how much better the Bus felt steering-wise. I’d love to know if it was the tire pressure or the steering box fine tuning but either way it felt much more secure and stable. It’s just like you said - one quick steering wheel correction then just let go and let the Bus self-correct.
>I’ve never felt so comfortable at 65mph. I didn’t hit any crosswinds so that will be the ultimate test but so far I am very happy. Couple that with a working e-brake and I’m very happy with your visit!
>Best wishes on your travels!

Good to hear. I give a little to the steering box and a bit more to the tire pressures.
Nice bus!
ColinInMinnesota
One VW at a time ...