Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm

covelo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm
I'm in with our 1980 Vanagon (it's actually a September 1979 model). The "problem" is that I have not uncovered anything that needs work. (Don't want to waste our time on the nonfunctional windshield washer). But we have several long trips planned between now and when you make it to the West Coast so in all likelihood something will emerge. Looking forward to diving in again.

I await your list. We'll fix that windshield washer if nothing else. There are Vanagon-specific things, like that long battery cable which we would seek to optimize, and lubricating the heater cables before they kink. And of course, you will show me how to tune it up.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

judahthedog wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 am
Hi there! First timer here... Busbassist lives in my neighborhood and I am hoping to schedule a day the same week he has you visiting.
I have a 1973 Automatic Camper. seems to have lost a lot of power.

We have to take loss of power seriously. If it is simple, good. If it is not, we need to know. These engines can self-destruct in short order if they are pushed past a serious low-power issue. That is what I am doing down here in Miami. New heads due to a receded valve. Your deluxe list of concerns and hopes shall issue to my inbox where we can have a correspondence drawing the outline of our day.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 pm

BoltonFTW wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm
First timer here also. I am interested in a full day.
New to me 1978 Camper Deluxe FI manual transmission. Well cared for with only 1 previous owner. Hoping to keep forever and learn how to make that happen.

Bay Area, California
Dates: ideally before July but can be flexible.

Perfect candidate. We will give you ten hours of how to make it last forever.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Deanaha wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 pm
Brand new to this. In Amarillo, TX. Currently, the 77 bus is in a shop getting a new gas tank and hopefully will run by the time you get here. If not, that is the priority. Or another option is 79 automatic, camper, that is from a salvage yard, not running for a long time
There is so much to learn, I can start anywhere and learn something. Definitely no experience.
I have a shop and lift to use

Welcome to the forum. We can make a full day that is useful regardless of which vehicle. I think you will have the '77 running by late August/early September.
We'll go through it, then start the '79 . . .
Colin :flower:

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 pm
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm
definitely a half day ... possibly a full day....depends on how far along I am with the engine rebuild. Friday - Sun preferable....so we can have an itinerant get together for Michigan peeps (or anyone else that wants to travel to the Shady Shores) but am flexible. :flower:
I hope we can do that. If it is a half day, I will need others in your area to sign up. I have committed financial atrocities with an order for three sets of Len Hoffman heads (one of which will be reimbursed down here in Miami).
Colin
You do you brother :flower: We all have our own financial atrocities...I have to spend $16k to keep the ass end of my house from falling off! Foundation work aint' sexy ...not like a pristinely rebuilt type 4 engine. :sunny:

Seriously - you should state in your intro that half days are at your discretion, and based on the itinerary route.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 pm
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm
definitely a half day ... possibly a full day....depends on how far along I am with the engine rebuild. Friday - Sun preferable....so we can have an itinerant get together for Michigan peeps (or anyone else that wants to travel to the Shady Shores) but am flexible. :flower:
I hope we can do that. If it is a half day, I will need others in your area to sign up. I have committed financial atrocities with an order for three sets of Len Hoffman heads (one of which will be reimbursed down here in Miami).
Colin
You do you brother :flower: We all have our own financial atrocities...I have to spend $16k to keep the ass end of my house from falling off! Foundation work aint' sexy ...not like a pristinely rebuilt type 4 engine. :sunny:

Seriously - you should state in your intro that half days are at your discretion, and based on the itinerary route.
Nope. You are a guaranteed show.
**I just need to cma, and scare up some business next to you.**

Every visit is based on my discretion at this point, and at prior points, too. I had to blow off Eskimo Tom last year because there just wasn't anybody else in Miinesota. That was a full-time appointment, but I could not commit the extra days of travel. So, yeah, I'll do me, and you'll do you, and
" I hope we can do that " means I hope we can do beer in the backyard so long as it does not cave into the footprint where your foundation used to be.
Colin

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 am

coming through atlanta? :cyclopsani:
the bus has been getting a work out latley.
My sons been using it as a daily driver while he saves up some money to fix his volvo....
60 beetle
78 bus

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
covelo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm
I'm in with our 1980 Vanagon (it's actually a September 1979 model). The "problem" is that I have not uncovered anything that needs work. (Don't want to waste our time on the nonfunctional windshield washer). But we have several long trips planned between now and when you make it to the West Coast so in all likelihood something will emerge. Looking forward to diving in again.

I await your list. We'll fix that windshield washer if nothing else. There are Vanagon-specific things, like that long battery cable which we would seek to optimize, and lubricating the heater cables before they kink. And of course, you will show me how to tune it up.
Colin
Yes, I wouldn't mind some hands-on advice with adjusting these self-adjusting valves. I have not wanted to touch them since the car is running so well and I don't want to mess things up. I also may want to do the rear brakes since this thing is heavy and the handbrake is not holding well on very steep inclines.
--Hans
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 pm
Deanaha wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 pm
Brand new to this. In Amarillo, TX. Currently, the 77 bus is in a shop getting a new gas tank and hopefully will run by the time you get here. If not, that is the priority. Or another option is 79 automatic, camper, that is from a salvage yard, not running for a long time
There is so much to learn, I can start anywhere and learn something. Definitely no experience.
I have a shop and lift to use

Welcome to the forum. We can make a full day that is useful regardless of which vehicle. I think you will have the '77 running by late August/early September.
We'll go through it, then start the '79 . . .
Colin :flower:
Thanks, I am excited to think of learning more about how to keep the buses running a long time.

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

Pencil me in for a full day please. Keep in mind that I may be out of town during the Maupin event. I can narrow down those days better if needed.

BoltonFTW
I'm New!

Post by BoltonFTW » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 pm
BoltonFTW wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm
First timer here also. I am interested in a full day.
New to me 1978 Camper Deluxe FI manual transmission. Well cared for with only 1 previous owner. Hoping to keep forever and learn how to make that happen.

Bay Area, California
Dates: ideally before July but can be flexible.

Perfect candidate. We will give you ten hours of how to make it last forever.
Colin
Awesome! Bus will be in Danville, CA to be more specific which is about an hour south of Sacramento
-Drew
'78 Campmobile Deluxe
'77 Tintop Weekender (SOLD) - first car!

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:11 pm

I'd like to schedule a full day visit in Grayslake, IL. The only bad time for me is between 6/29-7/7. Anything else should work.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:01 pm
1. 2019 Preliminary Interest Gauge WE ARE HERE - 02/13/19

a) Jump in! Tell us what projects/learning you are interested in
As of this writing Ludwig is 45 years, 3 months, and 22 days old (that's 1,429,920,000 +/- 20,000 or so seconds). Volkswagen never really meant for him to be around in 1989, let alone 2019. I want to continue to give him a fighting chance.
Or hey! Maybe Gertie...hard to believe she'll turn 50 in a couple years (right now she's well over a billion and-a-half seconds old).
Amskeptic wrote:
what area of the country you are in
South-central Montana. One hour and change North of Yellowstone's North gate. In the windiest town in America (average wind speed: 15.2 mph).
Amskeptic wrote:
a generally wished-for appointment date.
A Sunday sometime this Summer.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

pmaggiore
I'm New!

Post by pmaggiore » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi Colin - put me down for a day if you will be heading thru the Land of Enchantment. RIght now I am looking at exhause work but that could change. May is not a good time but other than that I should be good (certain days in May might even work).

Pete dba Yellowbird II