Walkabout 2 upd 10/8

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Walkabout 2 upd 10/8

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Well Photobucket, to whom I (and you who contributed!) paid $399.00 for third-party hosting, has been down now for a full day.

So, this update comes courtesy of Imgur. My delicate and complex filing system is tattered right now, and I do not know what sort of blanks and duplicates may issue forth. I don't even know where I am in the chronology of Walkabout.

We left off with Scott(in)LasVegas. I left Las Vegas and hightailed down a brand new interstate that I had never driven upon. It is called Interstate 11 and it swooped me past Boulder City and the Hoover Dam off into the night. Just like that, carscarscars lightshornssirens rushrushrush bellowingtrucks lightslightslights, was replaced with almost perfect silence as I pulled down a dirt track "do not enter if flooded" and guessed quickly if the car would bog down or dig through the occasional sandbars crossing the road. At night, it looks far more impassable with headlamp shadows declaring gullies of frightening dimension. I would get out of the car to test the surface at every turn. Scrambled onto a clearing and popped the poptop, opened the canvas windows and enjoyed my raging toothache in splendid starry isolation.

In the early dawn, there was a forlorn lost dumptruck that ambled down this dirt path and continued on into the desert. I could hear the tailgate crashing mightily over EVERY SINGLE ROCK for the miles and miles that it remained in earshot:

Found this view evocative:

Then drove down to Kingman with a threat of flash flooding calling from every TV, every Intellicast page online, every Weather Channel at truckstops:

Glittering little pebbles of human civilization litter the valley floor:

Does this cow have unusually huge ears?

OK, showed up in Kingman with a crick in my neck from staring up at the sky, waiting for our floods. Decided to get a replacement oil pressure switch for my stock after getting rid of perhaps the last oem Hella switch in the land. Stopped here:

$4.99 lighter in the wallet with a chromey-looking cheap oil pressure switch, I bid Chloe's long lost twin brother good-bye, and headed onto the main drag, pondering the fact that I just drove my 41 year-old Volkswagen across the country on impulse, and I'd do it again.

Did the starter on the other side of town near the "airport",
(p3)
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... 30#p230814

then drove southwest of Kingman AZ on 95 south until I had to partake of some sunshine and some dumb project in a beautiful little sandy "glen":

Decided with great urgency, that it was time to repaint the inner tailgate surfaces that I had smeared with my first batch of NaranjaWesty VHT Brilliant Yellow and Chrysler Hemi orange back in January 2016 . . . this time, I had a more sophisticated palette and a new understanding of how chrome yellow torments any hope of a paint match:

the 2016 paint smear

Almost had a heart attack pulling the tailgate seal clear. Looks bad, real bad, that darn northeast rain . . . .

But heyheyhey, that is actually Marhyde Rust Catalyzing Primer hanging on and doing its job. No new rust in three years. This time, to avoid future shock/surprise, I endeavored to paint the channel with my new paint recipe, and if it was a "fair" match, do the whole inner tailgate at once! At once, because windy 95* says, "at once before it congeals in the cap!" I have taken to adding a gloss agent/hardener that does not fool around. You must have a can of lacquer thinner and can of GumOut at the ready:

Flash Tint Check

It looks better, but it was a highly irritating afternoon in the glen with the winds knocking everything around:

Said goodbye to the "glen" and drove to Lake Havasu City with no tailgate seal installed to allow the paint to cure in peace.

The above was as far as the flood threat got. All across the southwest, we have been warned of flash floods rising up out of washes and killing you in your car. Got to Lake Havasu City and commandeered the "cafe" by raking a huge table and chair drag over to the electrical outlet behind the soft drink dispensor. It looked odd, but I felt great. Departed after reading of the flood warnings:

Now this looked potentially more floodtastic:

Yet, other than almost constant lightening flashes and a few heavy spatters, it was a beautiful drive down through Parker and away from the storms. I found another questionable traction site and pitched top and watched the clouds now on the horizon light up like a frenetic July 4th . . . a perfectly silent celebration. Not a cricket, even. The next morning dawned unflooded and sunny. Cut off my stupid too-long shoelaces, really folks, imagine being at the Pearly Gates with Saint Peter,
"You are early."
"I know."
"Care to tell us why?"
"Not really."
"It is a requirement for Eternal Bliss."
"FINE! I tripped on my shoelace and pitched into a canyon and got dashed against the rocks, OKAY?"
Before I cut off my shoelaces, I DID slip on some heat shrink tubing (14ga i believe) to make new ends. Works great:

ColinHeloiseTips
KEY:
a) Slip on heat shrink tubing
b) Cut off excess shoelace with that nice plastic end
c) Pull heat shrink tubing to 1mm past edge of freshly cut lace
d) BIC-shrink the heat shrink tubing to trap the lace ends

Two days later, the laces are doing fine and I am still on this Earth.

Woke up here. Was shaving in my Gildens (the WalMart cheap version of yesteryear's Calvins) when .. .. ..

.. .. .. you can't quite see them, but ten people came floating out of the sky. Your friends, Rodney?

Their pick-up guy in a pick-up got stuck in the sand bar that I pointedly coasted across so as not to dig down in the shifting sand. Man, he gunned it in a useless spray of senseless miring. Oh well. I did, however, take out the left side jalousie window. Good thing:

Scraped down to good metal surrounding all rust, then washed with water:

Airy interior:

Applied two coats of Marhyde Rust-Catalyzing Primer:

Applied two topcoats of poorly matched paint in the window opening, inside the pinch weld, and at every screw hole in the interior:

While the paint dried, I polished the little bitty screws and cleaned the window frame and seal. It was in pretty good condition under the dirt:

Carefully dabnblot-cleaned the curtains with a touch of Tide and water. See how dirty that Motel6 bucket got with just a little blot-cleaning?:

Pulled the grey rubber seal out of the screen groove, and reset the screen to "taut", then pushed the grey seal back down in the groove:

All back together in only 4 1/2 hours:

Drove to Quartzsite. Here I am. See? Quartz. More than you have ever seen:

Am now going to Burbank CA, the final Mecca for all spiritual travelers.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Walkabout 2 upd 10/8

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Filling in on the last of the outbound Walkabout projects.
(I am actually in Burbank CA now, with an Itinerant Air-Cooled appointment in the morning)

This is the storage compartment lid located just ahead of and below the closet. I saw some laminate coming up on a corner, and I could foresee the laminate jamming in the piano hinges and shattering. There were 16 little brass countersunk wood screws, 10 of which were stripped and loose in their holes. That is what happens when you screw into the edge of plywood:

Carefully lifted the edge of the laminate with my old big screwdriver blade, dipped an edge of motel6 room card into the Weldwood contact cement, and laid the glue into the laminate/plywood chasm as far as I could;

Pressed the laminate down firmly onto the plywood, then set to work reinstalling all screws with LocTite blue. Who knows if this is an acceptable use of LocTite:

Had to pull, glue down the laminate, then re-seat the black plastic edgework because the laminate had to be clear of the black plastic inorder to press down fully:

Took a hike up the hill and surveyed my work. Looks all right from here .. .. .. :

.. .. .. and here:

Left Arizona and drove to California. The trash blossomed horribly at the turn-offs. Too many people have lost their knowledge of/interest in personal hygiene practices and they just foul the area all out in the open and in the breeze. Shame on them:

Drove further out than usual to get away from "human evidence". This project was a quick "Replace The Tie Rod Boots":

Removed cotter pins and nuts and pressed the tie rod ends out of the steering knuckle and the relay lever. Carefully peeled the old retainer springs from the old boot:

Cleaned out old grease that felt suspiciously like crumbled plastic. Over and over, I spun the ball joint in the socket and cleaned off any lubricant that managed to keep coming out of the socket:

Pressed in Valvoline Fully Synthetic molybdenum disulfide grease into the sockets and articulated the ball joints to help drive it in.

The big conical piece allows the installation of the hated three-lap retainer wire over the new boot. Works well:

And there ya go:

Ready for more adventures:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am

Ok ok, what's the story behind this sticker I keep seeing pop up all over your late buses…?

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:24 am

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am
Ok ok, what's the story behind this sticker I keep seeing pop up all over your late buses…?

Sticker? What sticker?
The sticker that says "thank you for your order" ?
That sticker?
Colin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:58 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:24 am
That sticker?
Colin
There was a picture of it on the BobD fan shroud too, wasn't there?
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 am

asiab3 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:58 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:24 am
That sticker?
Colin
There was a picture of it on the BobD fan shroud too, wasn't there?
Robbie

The exact same sticker, in fact. We are most-frugal with our shameless self-promotion budget.
Colin

78wkndr
I'm New!

Post by 78wkndr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself Colin...but....dare I say a bit of chaos never really hurt nobody eh?
-78wkndr-
1978 westfalia tintop bus 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 pm

78wkndr wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm
Don't be too hard on yourself Colin...but....dare I say a bit of chaos never really hurt nobody eh?

Well let's be hard on you all . . . hurry! hurry! hurry! buy now! while supplies last!

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... 41&t=13737

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 am

When I click on the link it says I'm not authorized to access the information...
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:11 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 am
When I click on the link it says I'm not authorized to access the information...

This is why I am damn close to homeless. Like my first grade teacher wrote on my homework, "careless!"
Try now,
Colin