Itinerant Air-Cooled Northeast upd 8/27

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Northeast upd 8/27

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:32 am

Well, I did ask for an ashtray . . . FINE, I didn't want to come back anyway:

So, I see that most of the photographs posted here since July 11 or so look all sunny and you may wonder why it is that I am so exercised about rain, but these sunny photographs are just the brief moments between the precipitation events. New York City, as of the day before yesterday, had ten of eleven days with rain. Drove to central New York for my appointment with wdollie6, in the rain, and crashed out/camped at a New York State Thruway rest area, in the rain, woke up, in the rain, and took off for Oneonta, in the rain.

As per usual on my way to wdollie6's house, I got a bit lost (in the rain) with these Google map directions. Only by chance did I recognize a goofy barn that I photographed last year which oriented me enough to get lost exactly in the same way I did last year.
"Why do you get so easily lost?" you ask . . . well, these roads out in central New York are missing signage.

Arrived at 9:45 AM which is pretty good for me for wdollie6 appointments. Backed NaranjaWesty into the garage and got hemmed in by a proud rooster:

We were into it in short order. This was to be a "ball joint boot replacement" which is easily enough executed on a normal day, but we discovered some very worn ball joints that must be replaced. All four torsion arms pulled out of the beam, steering spindles and brake disks and calipers and stabilizer bar retainers littered the floor, each its own testament to a bit of exertion and swearing. Better his than mine, I say. Good luck! Let us know if you have any difficulties. Then it rained:

The fastback, suffering from way too much rain in its life along the rockers, was propped up in a grotesque pantomime of a cadaver recently disinterred with flat spots on the front tires frozen in space above the floor. But it is an exciting car, nonetheless. It shows potential under the cobwebs. We got the engine running just briefly enough to get a cartoon-worthy blast of rust and dust and mouse nest fluff. It must be stripped down at least the long block to remove mouse nest bedding, then clean everything to a proper air-cooled engine degree:

I enjoyed the banter of our day and scored a magnificent Rhubarb Pie to take to Woodstock. I think wdollie is going to do fine with this car, but there is work ahead. Like there was for me to find the main road out of there. Camped in a roadside turn out with puddles and dripping trees and billions of bright headlamp reflections on every drop on each window facing the road.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Northeast

Post by asiab3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am

First the law firm, then the Boondocking Lodgings? Naranja brings the rains and the flames, apparently…

What do you do when you find front torsion leaves splayed out like Mardi Gras pasties?

Is the Type 3 in-car teardown doable for a neophyte, or did you recommend pulling it?

Greetings from DRY California,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Should be nice and dry this week!

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:50 am

Colin's latest visit was as usual an incredible learning experience. Since he was, ahem, late again I was part way through the tear down on the passenger side wheel assembly when I was informed that it wasn't necessary, could get to the ball joints with everything other than the tire in place. While I wasn't sure how this could be I was informed he would show me on the drivers side...

While on the passenger side I asked, why do you suppose my outer brake pads are wearing unevenly on both sides of the car. After reviewing the rotors Colin's response was unexpectedly "these might be the worse condition rotors I have seen". Note that I had gone through the 45 degree sanding process on both but apparently this effort did little to impress as the pits and other defects were clearly proud. Needless to say two new rotors are on order, my pad life will hopefully improve, along with my braking.

Now we need to back up a few days when I pleaded with Colin that we change our focus to the other items on my list as I was worried that in our efforts to replace the shredded boots we would find bad ball joints. I would then be down during the waning weeks of our limited upstate NY summer. The response was essentially we had to complete the tear down in an effort to properly evaluate the joints, which we did, thank god. The ball joints on both sides were toast, actually beyond toast. The movement was well beyond acceptable pushing towards dangerous, surprisingly FatBoy drove amazingly well exhibiting minimal to no signs of ball joint woes, other than the occasional clunking.

While Google searching for arms with pre-pressed ball joints we stumbled across Late Night Aircooled located in Chico, CA. After calling them on Monday determined that they have the arms and ball joint assemblies in stock with 4 choices of ball joints, from tighter German to much looser Chinese built (Empi's I believe), I chose the TRW mfg. as I was concerned about tightness in the joint. Bryan, Manager at Late Night Aircooled, indicated that he had complaints that the two tighter ball joint styles had to be steered back to center I will provide an update when my new ones arrive late next week as I would like to verify condition and quality before recommending them, although Bryan seemed fairly knowledgeable.

Oh, you ask what about the purported need to not tear down the drivers side wheel assembly? We ended up completely tearing it down to be able to easily access and remove the necessary items. Live and learn.

We also played around with the bus engine to address slow idle and lack of choke. A simple adjustment (for Colin that is) at the CIS speed and mix screws, a choke realignment and the bus was running perfectly again. No other adjustments needed.

The Fastback was also a lot of fun as it had not been started since 1985. We played with the points and coil until we got a solid spark and then fed gas in through the manifold, it eventually started and deposited a cloud of rust and mice debris in the air and somewhat comically, on Colin (at least from my view point in the front seat). He muttered something about attorneys and hantavirus and ended the day.

As always Colin appreciate the time, commitment, energy and patience that you put into your IAC, look forward to the next go around in the fall pulling Layla's engine in FL.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:35 am

Robbie, I will be pulling the engine eventually for the full clean up effort, however for now based on my readings, it appears it is easier to check fuel injection issues while it is in the car. Once I finish up front (done except for fuel tank and filter) I will move to the rear and replace all fuel lines and vacuum hoses, adjust valves, fix some bad wire terminations and then check fuel pressure by cranking engine... although can't do that until starter issue is addressed. After Colin got the car to start initially the starter, or ignition, gave up the ghost so will need to troubleshoot that as well, hopefully a ground or some other straight forward issue, we shall see.

Next step will be to begin rust repair, already have new/used rockers so will be focused on the insitu cut out and replacement, similar to the process used on my two beetles.

I will continue updates on the IAC Type 3 forum. Hopefully some positive direction in the next couple of weeks/months. This was supposed to be a retirement project but pretty excited about this Fasty so am starting a few years early.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

RE: Itinerant Air-Cooled Northeast upd 8/27

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:44 pm

The rains, the rains, the rains . . . the rains damaged my sunny disposition. So did visiting friends and family. There is no escape from aging, and I am feeling it acutely, both in my own organism and in the people I love dearly. I drove from wdollie6's house to Amy's house and helped to make lawn signs for a local election. Her mom, the person I first fell in love with when I was ten, is now 91 and though we talk with clarity and depth, I can see her reckoning rushing up. It fills the silences with unease. It edits conversational word choices. I can't speak so flippantly of how I will just go kill myself if I don't get a sunny day around here dammit. Amy is still beautiful Amy always will be, but now she has a lifetime of delicate wisdom that somehow did not go mean like it did in me. I love these people, and I get mad at God for stealing them to their old age. Meanwhile, I age no less. I cannot believe that we are *here* in life.

Hugged them, promised to send in my absentee ballot, gave my salutation "May The Republic Still Be Standing Next Time We Meet", cried at the bottom of the driveway, and drove to Albany. As my mother would say, "I'll give you something to cry about!"

Albany makes you cry because it so damn Nazi up there at the Harriman Campus or whatever that bureaucratic nightmare is called. Then it has this dipsy flying saucer atrocity. And it has a festooned governor's mansion from the gilded age. And it all crashes and clashes horribly:

And I drove up the Northway (it rained) to visit the little house that my stepfather built for my mom so she could get around in her wheelchair:

But no, she does not get to wheel around in her wheelchair, she has been gravely injured by a botched medical regimen, and she is now bed-ridden and at the edge of awareness. Yes mom, you indeed did give me something to cry about . . . the new little house has already been rendered almost obsolete. I do not know just how close to the edge she is, but I am thoroughly appalled and shaken.

Drove to Vermont. It rained severely. Woke up to sunshine. Did not know what to do with it. Went to aopisa's house to see what aging looks like back in the safety of fatherhood and kids in school. After peppering the kitchen with political conversation that reminded me of how clearly my mother made sure that my thirteen year-old kid self was informed of the Watergate Hearings (she is safely out of the loop with this current maelstrom of indictments and lawyers and malfeasance in Washington), we dove into a pre-flight check on the '77 Westy:

I opened up NaranjaWesty to the sunny day (sunny day?) to help the poor thing air out:

We also changed the oil so we could see the status of the Flakes In The Strainer that caught our attention last year. This year had a harvest of flakes too, but upon comparison with last year's photographs we decided to rationalize that things are getting better:

Dremel-incised the oil filter just to check for any catastrophes hiding in the filter element. Not bad at all:

We, aopisa and I, hosted a visit from username "74ghia" and his (pop quiz What year?) Ghia:

The talented young videographer of last year was pressed into service this year as our on-call garage assistant.
"Boy, help me stand on this table to help set the Weldwood cement on this here delaminated table laminate."
"Boy, help me remove the poptop handle to stop the same damn water leak as the one I had in Pennsylvania."

I have hope for the human race when I happen across such smart aware garage assistants who know of things like "facts" and "rational argument".

I do believe that we have no more water leak at the poptop. The test drive here over hill and yonder dale suggested a couple of tweaks to the AFM and a two-degree retardation of the maximum advance to settle down the CHTs (436* top reading down to 424*).
Final analysis of the '77 Westy was that it is a fine, fine, car. So we decided to repack the front wheel bearings when we returned. Now aopisa has said that he doesn't like too much utter greasiness, but I must say that he waded in and got greasy and the bearings thank him. I need an update, aopisa! And god what a pig I was, this little piggie had roast beef for lunch and dinner!

Drove down Route 7 towards Massachusetts. It rained. But then, then, my first sunny day with nowhere to have to go. Whatever shall I do? How about prepping the new fuel pump for plug-n-play (now with real color coded connections!) ?

How about relaminating laminate on the cabinet doors?

How about masking that horrid little gouge in the left cabinet door that has been taunting me all summer?

And today, I color-sanded the sliding door here in Leominster MA in the sunshine. It helps to work, to have plans, to enjoy simple sunny days.
Colin

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Northeast upd 8/27

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:09 am

Wonderful write-up, as always. I have been thinking a lot about the aging process as well lately. It has a way of making you realize how much time you have wasted (at least for me). With that I felt inspired to finish the bus engine pull yesterday (that I started five years ago in Colorado... :pale: ) but just ended up standing in the pole barn staring at it for awhile, then moved on and mowed the grass. Maybe next weekend...

I did write 1400 words in the novel I am writing, so the day wasn't a total loss. :)
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 am

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:09 am
Wonderful write-up, as always. I have been thinking a lot about the aging process as well lately. It has a way of making you realize how much time you have wasted (at least for me). With that I felt inspired to finish the bus engine pull yesterday (that I started five years ago in Colorado... :pale: ) but just ended up standing in the pole barn staring at it for awhile, then moved on and mowed the grass. Maybe next weekend...

I did write 1400 words in the novel I am writing, so the day wasn't a total loss. :)

Mowing the grass gives such immediate satisfying results . . . then four days later, wtf?
It's like it grows or sumpin.
Colin

PaducahFrank
I'm New!

Post by PaducahFrank » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 am

Colin,

What do you mean by "prepping the new fuel pump"?

You asked me 2 years ago, "why is that fuel pump skkkreaming". I said, "i don't know this guy put a new one on there and now it is screaming". Then I asked you, "will it stop screaming or quit working". You said, "maybe".

I'm thinking about procuring a spare. It seams that you may travel with at spare.

Paducahfrank
Paducah Frank

1978 2.0 F.I. Non Cali Westfalia
1974 Triumph TR6
2005 Chevy Colorado

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 am

PaducahFrank wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 am
Colin,

What do you mean by "prepping the new fuel pump"?

You asked me 2 years ago, "why is that fuel pump skkkreaming". I said, "i don't know this guy put a new one on there and now it is screaming". Then I asked you, "will it stop screaming or quit working". You said, "maybe".

I'm thinking about procuring a spare. It seams that you may travel with at spare.

Paducahfrank
Hello Frank,
The new pump has ring terminals and the original pumps had spade terminals, so I stuck in "transfer wires" to allow me NOT to hack the original wiring when it comes time to stick in the new pump! Color-coded even, so I can get the polarity correct in low-light conditions.
Colin
(ol' Quarry Rock Chewer just keeps soldiering on)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 am

I wish I could erase August from my mind, but I cannot. I jumped into my Itinerant Air-Cooled appointments as balm against all that I do not understand, but the raging spiritual itch worsened regardless. So where did we leave off? Oh yeah, the aopisa appointment.

I had a couple of days before the curtpo7 appointment, so I thought I might get into the deferred maintenance tasks that have been piling up on poor NaranjaWesty but it rained just enough to scuttle most of those plans. It was also difficult to find a spot that was not soggy with standing water and mosquities. I did find curtpo7 out in the country at a rented garage:

Curt, however, did not find his keys to either Westy. I sent him on his way back to his house ( a good hour round-trip) with a promise that I would find things to do. We had a lousy brake pedal and the understanding that we would probably be doing a master cylinder replacement. I thought to adjust the rear shoes first. Good thing, too, they were way out of adjustment, and the ebrake cables were just totally loose. While adjusting the brakes and the cables, I discovered that the right axle was jamming as I rotated the wheel. The entire engine/transaxle was being shoved to the left then springing back twice per revolution. That was interesting. I have done emergency CV joint repacks before:

This inner CV was diluted with transaxle oil and was busy making gouges in the ball tracks:

Some Fully Synthetic Valvoline grease brought the joint back to health and I was securing the axle when Curt returned with the keys. We spent most of the day yakking about airplanes and their crashes: how to avoid; how to mitigate, how to respond to emergencies. Ghoulish good fun with the 747 pilot as we disassembled the clutch cable and lubricated everything from the pedal on back. Curt? Can you fill the readership in? Enjoyed our day:

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 am

So much to say..so much to say...

Same as last year, it was a rapid fire itinerantaircooled.202 lecture then lab experience!

I’m still trying to process all we did that day...we worked our butts off but made a lot of headway with “annoying orange” :)

She’s a good bus.

Just coming off two “back side of the clock” trans-cons. Write up on its way!

Summary: Colin rocks!

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 am

Just woke up after much needed rest.

It was an embarassing start to the day for sure....all that travel to the garage and NO KEYS!

Backstory - recently bought new house, went from TWO garages to NO garages. Renting a garage far away. Not the first time I've left my keys.

Anyway, after Colin got there, I told him of the predicament. No problem, says he.....off to get the keys!

By the time I got back, he had the CV apart AND had adjusted the new brakes and the E Brake cable I haven't had a chance to touch yet.

There was a long list of items to attack so off we went.

Reassembled the CV. Went out and checked the brakes he adjusted. Perfect.

Shift bushing donation and installation. DONE.

Engine idle adjustment. Found some intake manifold leaks, adjusted those down. Adjusted the mixture to compensate. Test drive. All working great engine running LIKE A TOP!

Now onto the squeaky clutch. Admittedly Ive never touched the clutch on either bus. So we get to it...the entire clutch pedal and cable...DRY!

Quite a tough time with the adjusting nut due to the age of the German cable. "CUT IT" I say! Cutters in hand. Colin has other more noble intentions. So we try to save it. Well..we spent more time trying to save the old bugger, and we were successful in lubricating the pedal assembly. But in the end, we succumbed to father time and the nasty mosquitoes. The day was a success as usual, but I've got a little work ahead of me on that new clutch cable. I'll miss the OG old one, but I just dont believe I can save those adjusting threads on the end.

Next year, if I have two of these rigs, I'll try to get him for two days instead! And, I need to study up on the darn wiper assembly!!

Success....another good year of wrenching, learning, and great conversation!
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG
This is Colin, keeping up with me at xxMPH (well above 55 eventually passing me)..well done!
IMG_2862.JPG

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am

On second thought...ya know what Colin? I may try to dremel that old wingnut off the cable and once out and on the bench, inspect and run a thread chaser up that adjuster end....

whaddya think about that?

:)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am
On second thought...ya know what Colin? I may try to dremel that old wingnut off the cable and once out and on the bench, inspect and run a thread chaser up that adjuster end....

whaddya think about that?

:)

I think that is a noble thought . . . after you inspect the cable for truly outstanding condition.
Colin