A Good Day in the East Bay

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Curtp07 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm
Check out Kyle Automotive. I bought two of his harnesses..impeccable work!
I don't see those services on the website. Is that something special?
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

User avatar
THall
Getting Hooked!
Location: Verona, Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by THall » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 am

misszora wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm
Curtp07 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm
Check out Kyle Automotive. I bought two of his harnesses..impeccable work!
I don't see those services on the website. Is that something special?
http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/l- ... r-vanagon/

"Modern style harness built for 80-83 Vanagon Federal Emissions...also fits 76-79 Bus, except 79CAL. These harnesses are built with corrugated split-loom, colored/striped wires and taped joints (just like ones that come in new cars today)."

I have one for my '78 and it's made very well and works great.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am

THall wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 am
misszora wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm
Curtp07 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:41 pm
Check out Kyle Automotive. I bought two of his harnesses..impeccable work!
I don't see those services on the website. Is that something special?
http://kyleautomotivespecialties.com/l- ... r-vanagon/

"Modern style harness built for 80-83 Vanagon Federal Emissions...also fits 76-79 Bus, except 79CAL. These harnesses are built with corrugated split-loom, colored/striped wires and taped joints (just like ones that come in new cars today)."

I have one for my '78 and it's made very well and works great.
Oooooooo!!!! Thank you!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

71whitewesty
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 am

Great write up and satisfying visit. I know the feeling of finding an issue with Colin that otherwise has you baffled. Glad to hear it running as good as ever. :cheers:

User avatar
Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!
Location: Verona, WI
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Happyfolk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am

Every engine problem I've had with my '79 Westy turned out to be a poor ground in the fuel injection system somewhere. I finally went through all of the electric checks on page 40 of the AFC training and troubleshooting manual (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... Manual.pdf) and haven't had any trouble since. I keep this page and a meter with me at all times!
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am

Happyfolk wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am
Every engine problem I've had with my '79 Westy turned out to be a poor ground in the fuel injection system somewhere. I finally went through all of the electric checks on page 40 of the AFC training and troubleshooting manual (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... Manual.pdf) and haven't had any trouble since. I keep this page and a meter with me at all times!
Wow! Thank you!!!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

misszora wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am
Happyfolk wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am
Every engine problem I've had with my '79 Westy turned out to be a poor ground in the fuel injection system somewhere. I finally went through all of the electric checks on page 40 of the AFC training and troubleshooting manual (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... Manual.pdf) and haven't had any trouble since. I keep this page and a meter with me at all times!
Wow! Thank you!!!

We still good? (oh, I hope so) I am writing over on the NorCal thread . . .
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13636
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Took her on an errand run today.

Started right up. No sudden death. No shudder. No shake. No sputter. No chug. No hesitation.

I pushed her further and drove up and down hills and all over my neighborhood.
Right through the places where I had to shake her to get her going again.

Victory!!

And yes, I still need to replace those spades but at least I know what to look for if the symptoms return before I do that.
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm

misszora wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 pm
Took her on an errand run today.
Right through the places where I had to shake her to get her going again.
Victory!!
I hate to think just how vigorously you must have had to shake an entire VW to get a little spade terminal to move enough to grant you a temporary reprieve . . . :shaking2:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm


I hate to think just how vigorously you must have had to shake an entire VW to get a little spade terminal to move enough to grant you a temporary reprieve . . . :shaking2:
Oh dude! I had my roof rack on, used it as a handhold, and it came out of the rain gutters!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 pm

misszora wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm


I hate to think just how vigorously you must have had to shake an entire VW to get a little spade terminal to move enough to grant you a temporary reprieve . . . :shaking2:
Oh dude! I had my roof rack on, used it as a handhold, and it came out of the rain gutters!

"Pssst, don't stare, but look at that lady shake her bus!"
"What is, like, up with THAT?"
"I don't know, but if I had to guess, I think she hates that roof rack."
:compress:
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 pm

"Pssst, don't stare, but look at that lady shake her bus!"
"What is, like, up with THAT?"
"I don't know, but if I had to guess, I think she hates that roof rack."
:compress:
:headbang:

The first time I started to rock her, a guy on a bike stopped and asked if I thought I had something in my gas tank. Didn't ask anything else, just assumed that's what I was doing. When I said yes, he told me to hop in and try to start her while he rocked her. She roared into life. Must've wiggled the spade just barely enough because once I got into the tunnel she started to sputter and die. Rocked her again with the aid of yet another passer-by and she ran perfectly all the way home.

The roof rack came off easily because half the feet were no longer in the rain gutter. :drunken:
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Oh forgot to mention....you can easily install that new FI harness without pulling the engine!

I believe I installed one of mine in about 60 minutes.

The biggest danger is dislodging a vacuum line or the S Boot...it’s a good time to replace any old vacuum lines too!

Curt

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm
Oh forgot to mention....you can easily install that new FI harness without pulling the engine!

I believe I installed one of mine in about 60 minutes.

The biggest danger is dislodging a vacuum line or the S Boot...it’s a good time to replace any old vacuum lines too!

Curt
She does not need to replace her beautiful original grey vinyl /white wire entire harness. A little cleaning and even a little crush with a vise grip will fix the terminal in question for the next 40 years. I find those "corrugated" black plastic harnesses unable to lie flat or go around curves at all like the factory vinyl harnesses and they're prone to giving me flashbacks of various General Motors engine compartments where it all looks slap-dash because it is. Once we have a nice ground, I think misszora can tell us herself if she wants a spinal cord transplant.
(Paige, I would re-route the harness back to the correct factory path, however. It is pretty tidy)

Image
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
misszora
IAC Addict!
Location: Point Richmond, CA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by misszora » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

She does not need to replace her beautiful original grey vinyl /white wire entire harness. A little cleaning and even a little crush with a vise grip will fix the terminal in question for the next 40 years. I find those "corrugated" black plastic harnesses unable to lie flat or go around curves at all like the factory vinyl harnesses and they're prone to giving me flashbacks of various General Motors engine compartments where it all looks slap-dash because it is. Once we have a nice ground, I think misszora can tell us herself if she wants a spinal cord transplant.
(Paige, I would re-route the harness back to the correct factory path, however. It is pretty tidy)

Image
I should've taken a picture of yours!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: A Good Day in the East Bay

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm

I’m not telling anyone they need to do, (just think about), anything, just presenting alternatives if the need arises.

IIRC KYLE also does the original style harness without the corrugated covering. At least that’s the first one I bought, and I prefer it over the corrugated plastic, (you’re right about the corrugated plastic).

40 years on top of a VW engine does wonders on wiring harnesses.

Post Reply