Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Greetings From New Mexico

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 pm
When you did the 6" drop, did you keep the tranny attached? And did you have to detach the CV joints?
Yes/no. QuiknEZ
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Some guy, some guy had to compliment NaranjaWesty too effusively in Wichita Falls. Bashfully, NaranjaWesty refused to start after a fill-up. I decided to wash the windows for several minutes until Mr. Flatterer had taken leave of his car to go into the convenience store. A couple of solenoid chatters with my adjustable wrench on the terminals seems to have restored it for the time being.
I have this issue intermittently.
What’s your opinion of hot start relays?
What of the newer high torque starters with adapter plate?
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm
Amskeptic wrote:

Some guy, some guy had to compliment NaranjaWesty too effusively in Wichita Falls. Bashfully, NaranjaWesty refused to start after a fill-up. I decided to wash the windows for several minutes until Mr. Flatterer had taken leave of his car to go into the convenience store. A couple of solenoid chatters with my adjustable wrench on the terminals seems to have restored it for the time being.
I'll share my experiences. I had an occasional no starter response on my 70' bus when it was hot. I would turn the key and get no response from the starter at all.

I knew my battery cables that were on the bus when I bought it were crap. I replaced them with the excellent new set from Wolfsburg West. I cleaned the ground strap to looking new again. All the posts on the starter were shiny metal as were all the connections and grounds.

I haven't had the no response from the starter since. My lesson is the battery needs the correct size battery cables with no corrosion so the amperage can flow nicely through them. Good contacts/ground are mandatory as well. I also removed the starter and made sure where it contacted the transmission case was nice and clean for a good contact there as well.

I have three VW's and none of them have a hot start relay. Yes, they can reduce the wear on the ignition switch and make them last longer. However, I've never had an ignition switch failure in 35 years. I also have a NOS switch just in case. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm
Amskeptic wrote:

a) as a temporary measure on a road trip, absolutely yes to a clean install ( seal the relay box/spade plate AND hang so water has to drain DOWN off the spade terminals
b) recommended for practical people versus us purists who find the sound sickening*
Colin
(* sickening, as in they sound like an old Chrysler trying to wheeze to life)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles