Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Has Begun

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm

. . . but what a start, good grief.
Let's see,
Saturday morning May 19th 6:30AM, finish assembling NaranjaWesty's dashboard.
10:30 AM, I left Pensacola FL for Atlanta GA and put Alexus2 into a nasty storage unit at 6:30 PM.
Grabbed my dial caliper from Chloe, drove it to the gas station to top off. Ran the BobD over to top off its tank, (and yes, the fuel gauge goes to the full mark). Vandalized all three cars with three hanging mothball cakes each. Went with my brother to his new post-divorce digs and listened to him curse at the balky remote and the HD DVD player or whatever it was, until 11:00PM when the pizza arrived. Then we watched Black Panther, wooden CGI and acting up til 2:00AM, fell asleep.
Sunday morning May 20th 6:30AM, up and at-'em on behalf of Alexus1, my original Lexus. Cleaned out the interior, wiped down the leather, washed the windows, and yakked with the neighbors.
10:30AM, we hit the road for Pensacola, arrived at 4:30PM, record time for me because my brother seems to enjoy 100-120 mph. Repaired some scrapes on the front bumper and turn signal lenses, repainted the subwoofer grill with a homemade concoction of satin brown and a spritz of white. Subway dinner run, he goes to play pool in Pensacola. I crash out at 11:00PM.
Monday morning May 21st 6:30 AM, up and at-'em, clean the house, vacuum the carpets, drag my brother to the Law Firm to meet jackstar and the others plus the cats.
10:30AM, my last terra-firma portrait, I am homeless once again as of this moment:

Drove from Pensacola to Baton Rouge and slightly beyond:

Four major rainstorms, four accidents, three traffic jams. After seeing the results of distracted driving in challenging conditions, do you suppose I saw . . . :

a) a contractor rifling through sheaves of papers on the steering wheel at a good 70 mph in the rain?
b) a zombie Toyota Corolla going 50 mph in the left lane because she was earnestly texting?
c) a Buick LeSabre merge onto the interstate at 40 mph and go over two lanes for reasons I will never know?
d) a little SUV pass me at high speed and lose control and smack that center concrete barrier after hitting a puddle, then slide backwards into the brush on the right side of the road?

And here I am playing tourist in a torrential rain trying to get NaranjaWesty to show up in a truck's fender mirror, Idiots All Of Us:

Highway to Heaven . . . at 55 mph tops:

A lush vista on the other side of the ascent:

The Mississippi. I am On My Way West:

NaranjaWesty is driving like a dream. Engine is so smooth and consistent that it sounds like a 60 hz flourescent bulb/ballast back there, a totally steady hum with no individual cylinder variations. 16.9 mpg, low 400*s, about 60-70 mph . . . all of my junk has buried the sound of the engine.

Decided to freshen the Timex dash clock that I had been planning to refresh since the Road Warrior head-on of August 2009. Heck, why not? It is 95* with 99% humidity:

Removed the super-scratched lens and painted the hands:

Used my Headlamp Restorer kit to sand the lens, #1, #2, #3, #4 pads each in a different direction than the last. Then I polished the lens to a clear luster. Not bad for a 21 year-old WalMart purchase:

Eight minutes later, we are back on the road:

This is the bayou bridge on I-12, I love the sweep:

Another storm approaches over the Henderson Swamp:

And I know that it is 6:20 PM, eleven hours and fifty minutes after waking up in Pensacola:

Zonked out at midnight in Beaumont, TX, at an odometer reading of 77,000 miles. Yeesh.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Has Begun

Post by Jivermo » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Loving that clockwork detail!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Looking forward to the trip reports, pictures, writings, roadside PM work and drama free, no clogged fuel filter posts! :blackeye:

Safe travels Colin. I see you're rolling through New Mexico and then down south to San Diego county. If you pass through Phoenix, don't forget the offer of Eva cooking one of THOSE steaks and her sides for dinner with cocktails. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Jivermo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm
Loving that clockwork detail!
We go back. First Itinerary photos were a whole series with the clock, July 19, 2007:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm

We go back. First Itinerary photos were a whole series with the clock, July 19, 2007:
It's a doozie, in two parts, too :)

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=2445
http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=2447
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2018 7:36 am

Thank-you for that trip down memory lane. Good grief, I was the Energizer Bunny back then.
Colin
(p.s. little narcissistic doughboy here had deleted the "tired shot". I re-upped it this morning and it is back in the epistle. I'll post it right here, because it was such a pathetic little decision back then . . . seriously folks, you are what God gave you so just do it: