wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Wyoming And Colorado

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pm
The photos are loading beautifully.

My roommate is sitting here asking "what kind of camera does he use?"

When I responded with the Kodak EZ-Share, he scoffed and asked me again "No, seriously, what kind?"

The travel updates never get old. Thank you.
Robbie
I love to squeeze a penny as hard as the next guy. However, I think it's time Colin upgrades his camera. He needs to think about his readerships needs! :drunken:

Let's do a gofundme for his next camera. Hell, all the wantabee van life folks have success with it! :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:22 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 am
I love to squeeze a penny as hard as the next guy. However, I think it's time Colin upgrades his camera. He needs to think about his readerships needs! :drunken:

Let's do a gofundme for his next camera. Hell, all the wantabee van life folks have success with it! :)
I think it's juuust fine. I mean, what's next, a lifestyle branding of IAC, including social media presence based around fake philosophies and attractive young women holding Bentley manuals while greasy long-haired men appear to be using a pipe wrench on a valve cover gasket?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 am

asiab3 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:22 am
attractive young women holding Bentley manuals while pot-bellied men with goatees appear to be using a pipe wrench on a valve cover gasket?
I'd pay a dollar for that, provided I was one of the pot-bellied men. :wink:

The camera discussion reminds me of a (likely apocryphal) story of a meeting between a famous photographer and a famous author at a party. I probably read this in Reader's Digest years ago.

Author: "I greatly admire your photography. You must use quite an expensive, sophisticated camera to take such beautiful pictures."
Photographer: "Thank you. It's a pretty good camera. I have read a number of your books and find them thoroughly enjoyable. You must write them on a quite expensive, sophisticated typewriter."
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:27 pm

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I think it's juuust fine. I mean, what's next, a lifestyle branding of IAC, including social media presence based around fake philosophies and attractive young women holding Bentley manuals while greasy long-haired men appear to be using a pipe wrench on a valve cover gasket?

Robbie
I like where you were going with that part but could live w/out the old, long haired, men being in the pictures.. :blackeye:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 pm

I am not even going to subject you to more photographs yet of the third effort to paint my asiab3 Commemorative Axially Straight Crankshaft Pulley. Rustoleum is now on my Personal Probation for paint that is not curing correctly. This pulley has become a true piece of art from so many strip/sand/wash events.

Today's paint attempt was north of Santa Fe in a turn-around off the interstate next to a gated community. Each member of the gated community who drove out through the electrically-actuated gate took occasion to perform a slow lap in the turn-around as if to warn me that grifters are not appreciated HERE. We had a Jeep Patriot, a Subaru Outback, a fabulously dusty Ford Focus, and one Ford pick-up all do their lap. Not one of the group rolled down a window or stopped to tell me anything as I sanded and stripped and push-pin-cleaned the VW logo and the "D" on the pulley.

The Wind God toyed with me as each coat was met in the middle of the spray with some wicked gust of wind, followed by a becalmed stillness as I set the can down. I'm on to this Universe. I used the wind to lay down the paint inside the pulley lip, so there.

I am not at the Caldera Campsite. I am at Bernalillo New Mexico's finest dispirited Motel 6 for a deeply welcomed shower. Tomorrow, I will do the full chassis undercoating, tire rotation, front-to-back clutch re-lubrication, carburetor needle valve replacement experiment. I hope to find the spot I loved so much a few years ago.
Colin
(wcfvw69, this camera has the perfect ergonomics for one-handed pickitupturnitonteethtoggletheviewfindershoot! The great majority of shots occur at-speed, and I am grateful for its good manners under pressure)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 pm

(wcfvw69, this camera has the perfect ergonomics for one-handed pickitupturnitonteethtoggletheviewfindershoot! The great majority of shots occur at-speed, and I am grateful for its good manners under pressure)
i tried briefly to talk up the benefits of a dash mounted GoPro during my visit, Colin politely entertained me, and then changed the subject.
79 Riviera CA FI

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm

ScottLasVegas wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 pm
i tried briefly to talk up the benefits of a dash mounted GoPro during my visit, Colin politely entertained me, and then changed the subject.
I'd love to get a GoPro but I'm too frugal or shall I say it? OK, I'm cheap! Those camera's are pretty darn cool though.

With all this camera talk, I wasn't even sure companies were still making small handheld digital cameras anymore. Everyone uses their smart phones now to take pictures. Out of curiosity, I looked at Amazon. There were lots of options still for these small handheld digital cameras with amazing mega-pexals. Some are wireless, etc.. The price point for most of them were under $300 as well. It surprised me.

I'll still use my smart phone for pictures though. :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am

ScottLasVegas wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 pm
We only had nine hours . . . !

I want to do a cross-country movie with my music choices already selected. And I will need to learn to edit.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 pm
I am not even going to subject you to more photographs yet of the third effort to paint my asiab3 Commemorative Axially Straight Crankshaft Pulley.
Oh yes I am . . . third time's a charm :

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am

I like where you were going with that part but could live w/out the old, long haired, men being in the pictures.
Wcfvw69, "old" did not enter into the description until you got your mitts on it, my friend. Speak for thyself.
And, Scott...I, too, have been "politely entertained" by Colin, although I forget what it concerned. I would not presume to suggest a change of camera, anymore than I would ask him why he totes the cactus around.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I think it's juuust fine.
Perhaps our efforts could be more profitably spent in sourcing some gently-used Kodak EZ-Share cameras as backups. Like just keep an eye out for them at garage sales and such...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am

Jivermo wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:37 am
I like where you were going with that part but could live w/out the old, long haired, men being in the pictures.

Wcfvw69, "old" did not enter into the description until you got your mitts on it, my friend. Speak for thyself.

And, Scott...I, too, have been "politely entertained" by Colin, although I forget what it concerned. I would not presume to suggest a change of camera, anymore than I would ask him why he totes the cactus around.

I guess I was speaking and thinking of myself then! :pale: I am a baby boomer BTW though the last year of that generation. My gals 21 YO daughter always reminds me that I'm OLD while I think of myself as not old, dammit!

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:23 pm

I am a baby boomer BTW though the last year of that generation.
Well, we're bookending that whole scene, since I'm the first year of the boomers. But, not old.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Generation X here. Ready to save the world: https://scholarsandrogues.com/2014/04/1 ... the-world/

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am
I am not even going to subject you to more photographs yet of the third effort to paint my asiab3's Mom Commemorative Axially Straight Crankshaft Pulley.
Minutia here, but she was excited to know that her "old dirty parts" could help out in your travels.

Tom, I'm very excited to read that tomorrow after less beers. Enjoy this heat wave- I'll be repacking front wheel bearings…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.