Itinerant Cow Goes Rogue . . . to LA

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Cow Goes Rogue . . . to Burbank!

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:28 pm

tommu wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm
A) It was great to introduce the family to Colin. With everything they've seen and done - they’re going home realizing that the country has a little more joy, variety and culture to it than you guys let on abroad. They're also concerned that all American mechanics wear short shorts.

B) I then showed Colin the silicone gaskets I picked up from 914rubber.com. They were too big for the rocker covers. A shame.

C) After test driving we went back under the engine to see for sure where the oil leaks were coming from. We concluded it was the head meeting the cylinders - the heads had relaxed. And that’s that.

D) Finally we tried chasing down a slight miss at idle. Neither ignition nor timing seemed to cause it. I’m going to need a set of bosch wr8cc plugs to test.

E) Thanks for helping with the diagnostics Colin. As always - I learned a lot

a) Are they concerned that all American mechanics henceforth wear short shorts?
As for your photograph of me in my Traveling Consultant Short Shorts, I am appalled, period.

b) Not a shame at all.

c) Are the heads still at it, or did our half-re-torque help in any way?

d) IF the idle clears up with the Bosch, let me know. I excitedly went over to theSamba and shared our findings with another Type 4 engine miss post, and the solution turned out to be the repair of some subtle vacuum leak.

e) As always, the coffee was first-rate and the Appalling Humor That Runs In The Family of course, wasn't.
Colin :blackeye:

A Lovely Example (of caved-in lifters):

This is the old eche_bus and it is a beauty in all things visible. Once past the presentation, it is a good bus in need of some tender care here and there:

What were we searching for here? I cannot remember, but that we were on the internet:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Cow Goes Rogue . . . to Burbank!

Post by tommu » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

This is something I meant to report. I have had an annoying misfire at idle. Very slight but noticeable and incredibly frustrating. Colin noted he had seen something similar in a another visit which was resolved by replacing NGK plugs with Bosch wr8cc (7904) plugs. I got round to testing Bosch wr8cc plugs and was very pleased to see they resolved the miss. I have a lovely steady idle and a very smooth engine. It's laced with a pang of regret that I'll need to rebuild before too long. For now we are driving with more confidence.

The leaks are the same as before. Leaving the bottom tin off helps with both the cleanup and the smell. But I'm not sure I like leaving it so exposed under there.

bradleygt
I'm New!

Re: Itinerant Cow Goes Rogue . . . to LA

Post by bradleygt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am

thats a beautiful butt! what caused the smashed in spots where the holes are?
an ounce of prevention is waaay more than a pound of cure

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 am

bradleygt wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am
thats a beautiful butt!
Why THANK-YOU. I try to stay in shape.

bradleygt wrote: what caused the smashed in spots where the holes are?
Oh dear . . .
Colin

(trailer lights? rear fog lights? what did we surmise, tommu?)

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 am

A Lovely Example (of caved-in lifters):

nasty lifters. They are eating the camshaft at this point. You might be able to have them resurfaced then polish them to prolong the life. The hard material on the surface will have worn away so they will wear much faster than when new. They are supposed to contact the cam only in the center of the lifter but as they wear they get flat then caved, Many shops do not know how to resurface a lifter so beware. They are surfaced in a way that makes them convex. They wear first flat then concave like image B.

A is correct. B is worn

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm

How much wear on the cam should we expect once a lifter has become concave?

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 pm

no wear is best but this is what you will see develop as the edges touch the same spot instead of the domed shape of an unworn lifter. It is quite common as the miles roll on. Supposedly the higher ZDDP oils are supposed to slow it some. 3 different T4 cams below.

This photo below (all from friends at TS) shows normal wear as the lifters wear away. You can see the path widening as the lifter wears flat.

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 pm

High ZDDP oil is crucial to slow the lifter/cam wear. Jake Raby did tons of testing of cams, lifters and oils way back in 2001. Want your VW flat tappet type 4 engine to last? Use the correct high ZDDP oil or have the worn concave face lifters shown here.
"But I always used blank blank oil back in the day"....yeah, all oils for modern cars have the zinc removed as it hurts the emission stuff. So toss out that old brand X oil and get the proper high zinc oil for VW's, Mopars, Fords and Chevy's from the 60's and 70's with flat lifters and pushrods. SOHC or DOHC engines don't have this problem. And quit going to those Grease Monkey, Oil Can Harry's for a $8.95 oil change with them using the wrong oil.
Case example: I helped a young woman buy a VW turbo diesel VW and told her to please have the oil changed per recommended miles plus buy the right "turbo approved"oil. Did she, nope and 2 years later the cheap oil froze the turbo solid and repairs will cost thousands for using those "quickie oil change" places with their crap oil.

Do it right once and forget about it......
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am

I had the opportunity for Bela in Burbank to rebuild my transmission. He did the same for my Ghia so I trust his work. He tells me that the 4th gear synchromesh was warn but also that my transmission had been rebuilt previously with non-coated gears. Here's what the worn synchromesh looked like. I was shown that it had no ridges on the inside:

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 am

bradleygt wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:36 am
thats a beautiful butt! what caused the smashed in spots where the holes are?
I missed this Bradley. We're quite sure my Bus was towed behind an RV for a while and consequently it had a pair of trailer reflectors there.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am

More worn items from my transmission! Please correct my descriptions, I'm describing from memory..

Pinion:

Throwout bearing:

Reverse gear. So small! Looks 70% better than another example he showed me:

I don't remember the name, engages first gear. Note missing tooth:

A coated sycnhromesh that was swapped out for good measure:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am

I don't see any pics???
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

tommu wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am
More worn items from my transmission! Please correct my descriptions, I'm describing from memory..

OTQ5ktaGcjV7lFutDds=w1458-h1093-no[/img]
Re-host your pictures. They should have a .jpg at the end of the file name with the img brackets. Those google pics have horrendous file name lengths.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 pm

I moved them to Imgur. Hope they work now..

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am

I hope you are swapping out the reverse gear as it's pretty hammered from shifting into it while moving or mis-adjusted clutch. The slider looks ok other than the busted tooth again from forcing it into gear. These transmission are meant to shift slowly and with a correctly adjusted clutch.
Geoff